Russia, Moscow

Download VGM Music Maker v1.1 (2.10M)

The docs wrote:

1.1 15.11.11

* A fix in FM2612 emulation suggested by ValleyBell
* PSG channels frequency is set in init, to set default fine pitch of PSG noise channel
+ Export module as a text file
* TFD export has been broken
* Noise mode display instead of notes in the PSG noise channel
* Change slot TLs feature changed into Change volume
* Minor interface tweaks
* Pan settings are detected the same way as instruments and volumes while editing
+ PAL, NTSC, and custom clock frequencies and frame rates support
+ Sample retrigger, cut, and delay effects (Q9x, QCx, QDx)
* Some fixes in VGM export and looping
* Special mode of FM3 has been not audible in the editor
+ Optional default instrument
+ Optional support of VGM 1.60
+ Clear song function, clears patterns but leaves instruments and samples intact
+ FM/PSG volume balance customization

Russia, Moscow

Please redownload the file, there was a bug in VGM exporter (screwed tags and 1.50) introduced in last minute.

Awesome, thanks! I'll try it out here as soon as I'm able.

Slovakia / European Union

Thanks Shiru!!!

Chicago IL

/me drools at sample retrigger

First off, I really appreciate this tracker! It's excellent, In fact, Groovemaster303, Cosmobuggi, and I are working on a Sega Genesis Album together using it exclusively to make the music big_smile.

https://8bc.org/music/Jredd/FM+Possible+Album+Preview/

Second, I also unfortunately came here to report a bug I found when working with VGM MM 1.1. This happened when I took a highlighted group of channels to transpose them. I thought I'd use the new "Advanced Transpose" feature. I transposed the notes down 5 semitones which worked fine, but it was a little off from what I wanted so I went to undo it. This is when my song got extremely messed up, it totally messed up my patterns reverting them all to 0, put a bunch of F's everywhere in the tracker and there was no sound anymore when I played it. The good thing was that I had saved the song at not too far back a point so redoing what I was working on won't be quite as bad, but is was still very disappointing sad.

I usually don't make a fuss over minor bugs, and wait until the next version to see them fixed but this was pretty major so I thought I'd better speak up about it. Hopefully the root of this problem can be found and fixed. Either way, I still intend to keep using it, and if something like this happens again I'll let you know.  It might also have to do with the fact that I was using some different pattern lengths in the song so that the program didn't know how to undo it properly with conflicting pattern lengths in the song (?) I don't know, in any case I hope I came across as helpful. Please continue to work on this tracker, I love it a ton. It is a fantastic tool overall big_smile.

Last edited by Jredd (Dec 2, 2011 3:29 pm)

Russia, Moscow

I would say that it was a minor bug, but anyway, I fixed it and updated the file without changing version number. Please redownload.

Seen the album preview recently, sounds cool.

Oh yeah, our album is done!

http://www.noisechannel.org/posts/3085

smile

Slovakia / European Union

Nice Jredd!

Neo Jersey
Jredd wrote:

Oh yeah, our album is done!

http://www.noisechannel.org/posts/3085

smile

WOAH.

Hey Shiru, I have a few issues I wanted to touch on:
- I wasn't sure if this was the way the hardware acts, but when an instrument that has a delayed attack rate plays notes one after the other, it ignores the attack rate for the next note. I can get around this by putting a note cut right before the next note starts, but I just wanted to point it out.
- Note delay is kinda weird. It feels like there's a hard note cut as soon as the note "starts" but before the note actually plays. Stuff like triplets and all that sound really choppy.

Thanks for your work, I really appreciate it!

Russia, Moscow

The first thing is how the hardware works, it never resets output level of operators, that creates 'accumulation' effect if you start a new note with slow attack when previous note is not faded yet. It is not very convinient, but could be used as an advantage for things like imitation of a filter that opens slowly.

The second thing is likely a bug, I'll check it out.

Tokyo, Japan

Hey Shiru, I have a question, VGM maker seems to behave a bit differently to what I expected based on this datasheet

http://www.smspower.org/maxim/Documents/YM2612

This is an old link but is the sheet wrong? Specifically algorithms 3, 4 and 6 seem different? Do you have a more up to date datasheet or did you do your own research?

Thanks man, VGM maker rules!

Russia, Moscow

There is a mess across the docs with operators 2 and 3, they are switched sometimes, but it is the same thing anyway. 1>2 in this particular doc is the same as 1>3 in VGM MM. I already thought to drop this Operator 1-4 numbering system and use the other terms like in VOPM - Carrier 1-2 and Modulator 1-2, which is less confusing.

Tokyo, Japan

Thanks shiru! That is super clear.

Seattle, WA

Thanks Shiru, this tool is excellent!  I made my first Sega Genesis song for BotB Winter Chip.

The thing that sucks is:  I can't find an emulator/player that matches the volume levels of the PSG.  The PSG is just way too loud when compared to playback in VGMmm.

I don't know if you plan on doing any more work on this, but just in case, I have a couple feature requests (in order of how important I think they are):

1. In Preferences-> FM/PSG balance, make the ability to increase the PSG volume much much louder.  Now, even if you slide it all the way up, the PSG is still quieter than all the emulators/players.  It would be amazing if there were presets for matching the volume levels of in_vgm, kega fusion, foobar2000, etc.  That way when you export to VGM it could sound the same.

2.  The ability to highlight the note, volume, instrument, and effect columns individually.  This way you could delete/copy/paste the volumes without losing the data in the note, instrument, and effect columns.

3.  I would like the option to disable hearing everything when I enter notes.  I only want to hear the channel I am working on.

4.  Bindings for increase/decrease octave.

Once again, thanks Shiru, for making this wonderful program!

Last edited by tadpole (Mar 7, 2012 4:14 am)