A gray world of dread

Well, since this is kind of an obituary/epitaph thread..

The most fun I had on 8bc was when I did the Dr. Szliszka thing with Sievert. I doubt that would have worked equally well here. Also, the discussions with ant1 and Linde heart

I won't miss the meme trolls and image macro warriors, not one bit.

A few years ago I met aliceffekt on 8bc. We discussed organizing something like pulsewave here in montreal. Then I was flaky I guess and Toy Company was born with other pals. But that's fine 'cause I got to play Toy Company many times with awesome folks like aliceffekt himself, Bit Shifter and more ^__^

8bc was so, so great when I joined up in it's late infancy. Now, I really think it has passed it's prime. Sometimes it's ok for something to "die".

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

Might as well post a few...

I remember grabbing an SGB2 cart from Note, and working through tempo/pitch problems with a few people until a fix was later implemented in LSDj. Found and used a lot of good tutorials too; Super Game Boy, NES, etc. Nordloef Collective was a good day. People seemed to be more interested in (completing) compilations in it's earlier days, of which I was a part of a handful. I liked the challenge some of them offered.

Amongst all the clutter there was still good info to be found, so it's a shame I guess. I think I joined back in 2008... left shortly after coming here except to cross-post events/releases.

Most of you that were helpful then are here now, so here's to more good times!

Sweden
µB wrote:

Also, the discussions with ant1 and Linde heart

Agreed! And Akira!

BK

I remember when we were amazed that there were 10,000 members.

Sweeeeeeden
Kris k wrote:

Spoiler: The site probably still only has about 10000 real members. Back when I was still admin there, I made some statistics about this. It turned out that 60% or so of the user accounts were unused. No forum posts, no music/images, not even music/image comments, and never logged in after first signup. I suspect most/all of these accounts were spam accounts that never got past the first step in the registration.

Madison, Alabama
nitro2k01 wrote:
Kris k wrote:

Spoiler: The site probably still only has about 10000 real members. Back when I was still admin there, I made some statistics about this. It turned out that 60% or so of the user accounts were unused. No forum posts, no music/images, not even music/image comments, and never logged in after first signup. I suspect most/all of these accounts were spam accounts that never got past the first step in the registration.

I would have guessed a lot less than 10,000.  I had a song at number one for like 3 weeks and that was 600 something plays.  If you asked me I would have guessed maybe 1,500 active users listening to the tunes.

(edit: by that I mean regular users, not people that drop by once a month.)

Last edited by roboctopus (Mar 13, 2012 4:33 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

Yes. Active users would be even less. What I'm talking about here is the number of users who have ever showed any signs of being alive, even if they never visited again.

New York City
nitro2k01 wrote:

Yes. Active users would be even less. What I'm talking about here is the number of users who have ever showed any signs of being alive, even if they never visited again.

Still probably much less than 10000. More like 1500 tops.

FlashHeart

48-hour challenge. My personal favorite.

England

For me the only real loss is the music.

So many things that I favourited but never downloaded hmm

Was thinking about putting together some podcast things of the things that I did download though.

Sweeeeeeden
akira^8GB wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

Still probably much less than 10000. More like 1500 tops.

I wrote the SQL query myself, although the site had less members in total back then. Don't remember the exact numbers I got back then. Today I'd guess it has less than 10000 and but much more than 1500. Maybe 4000-6000. And this is setting the bar low for what counts as an active/real user.

Madison, Alabama
Jellica wrote:

For me the only real loss is the music.

So many things that I favourited but never downloaded hmm

Was thinking about putting together some podcast things of the things that I did download though.

Same for me.  Especially those one-song wonders whose names you can't remember.

I was thinking about starting like an 8bc memorial Youtube channel of all the songs I downloaded that I can't find anywhere else.

A gray world of dread

Wasn't there some big-ass torrent around, even with a license.txt for each track? Might be something for archive.org.

vancouver, canada
Dot.AY wrote:
bryface wrote:

remember seapunk fellas?  thank god that's over

ITS ONLY THE BEGINNING -----> http://generationbass.com/2012/03/11/se … y-a-thing/

FOCK

actually i do appreciate the whole aesthetic to be honest.   seapunk is my guilty pleasure.

Joliette, QC, Canada

DMG IN MOUTH KIDS ! wink