Fargo

Yeah, man!  I'll watch 'em.

Sydney, NSW

Please do. I wanna get started with FM synthesis but I found the same stuff you did - either math or fuck-with-knobs-for-hours.

Tokyo, Japan

Screencasting isnt quite as tricky as I expected. First video is up! It doesn't get into FM but it explains a few concepts and does some ground work for envelopes. I was just about to start part to but life intervened. More stuff coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cixb5OIPok

Sydney AUS

Sexiest accent on youtube.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩
herr_prof wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

I have a tutorial on shutting the up and sucking my fat one if you want to see it?

Im not into micromusic.

hahahaha

Sydney AUS

I learnt things, thank you.

Tokyo, Japan

2 videos up!

Lazerbeat wrote:

2 videos up!

No link to the video sad

i think you lose the sound at time 9.14

Tokyo, Japan

Yes, I just noticed that, thanks for letting me know. That is really annoying camtasia didnt record the last 3 minutes. I will re do it and upload the whole thing again!

Adelaide, Australia

Awesome idea, Lazerbeat! All power to you! I absolutely adore FM synthesis and should get back to it again.

By the way if anyone is at all interested in some of my old bits and pieces from TFM Module Maker, i.e source files for all my tracks to learn stuff then just let me know.

I enjoy just experimenting and tinkering with FM - that's the fun for me - no preconceptions about what sound I want.

A gray world of dread
freezedream wrote:

Awesome idea, Lazerbeat! All power to you! I absolutely adore FM synthesis and should get back to it again.

Agreed on all counts. 'Today' is awesome, more would be very welcome.

reject of nintendoage

great stuff, very comprehensive, can't wait to seymore!

could you explain in what way the modifier is modifying the carrier?
i mean from an analog synth's perspective, is the modifier basically a LFO in audio range (with keyboard tracking) patched to pitch, to the VCA, is it ringmodded or does it work in a completely different way?

A gray world of dread
shizcake wrote:

could you explain in what way the modifier is modifying the carrier?
i mean from an analog synth's perspective, is the modifier basically a LFO in audio range patched to pitch

Yes, although there is the alternative of 'patching it' to phase, which has a very similar effect.

to the VCA

That would be AM (=Amplitude Modulation). AM effects actually sound somewhat similar to FM, but it's still distinctly different. Combine AM + FM ftw!

is it ringmodded

No, ringmods work differently. I have to confess I'm not exactly sure how (I think it's a type of AM?).

reject of nintendoage

cool, thanks for the clarification.

never knew that AM was a different thing.

bonus: here's a pic from german wikipedia showing what a real ringmod does. AM can sometimes sound ringmodish, but it doesn't quite get there.

A gray world of dread

From what I get from Wikipedia articles (german and english), ring modulation seems to be a simple multiplication function. However, I could imagine that this effect has very individual quirks in analog synths due to the parts involved.