Gosford, Australia

D D D Detroit, not the burbs
square0ne wrote:

On that note can i get some actual advice XD no offence taken

I think keep making songs and practicing, maybe asking more specific questions pertaining to hardware and software your using other then just asking "which artistic direction should i turn".  I thought he gave some pretty polite and sound advice for this kind of topic.

Chicago IL
square0ne wrote:

I put it on youtube and chipmusic.org just decided to share the youtube link why?

omg CM is becoming sentient

.FILTHadelphia
square0ne wrote:

I no longer need any criticism anymore thank you for all of those who contributed 

In hopes that you weren't completely trolled off of cm.o I'll post this anyways.

I wanted to post some CC last night but opted out due to being tired. I figured I could do it today after work but now that the song is down I can't give you any kind of real particular constructive criticism. From what I can remember it sounded as though you didn't do any kind of editing to your instruments which unless you were just testing out LSDJ for the first time isn't good practice for using the tracker. Chipmusic, to me anyways, is about pushing the boundaries of what these sound chips can do. Don't settle for default settings because for one they sound like garbage and two makes you sound like some generic "me too" Crystal Castles bullshit.

I didn't hear this in your song but for future reference, since I'm on the topic of sound, avoid any kind of real significant "video-gamey" sounds e.g. Mario jump sounds, coin collecting, stuff like that. Sparingly it can be cool but a lot of new musicians tend to exploit the shit out of this and I think it does a disservice to chip music and is mildly insulting. There's a nostalgia factor to it but most of us aren't here for the memories of yesteryear about playing video games. It's about the music (lame cliché.)

Your song was only 30 seconds long it is also the heart of why you got trolled here. Unless you're Anal Cunt or Agoraphobic Nosebleed (Altered State of America album) you aren't going to get away with putting out such short songs. On the trolling bit, the online chipmusic scene has seen plenty of trolls, most of the community just trolls the shit out of each other on a daily basis, so it's kind of hard to believe somebody when you post a 30 second song. Not only that but it included weird imagery so that was also a factor.

These points are my only real CC I can give. I can't remember the tune so I can't go into why it wasn't great on a musical level. Like what other people have said "try harder." Everyone sucks their first time out, don't get discouraged. Let this experience be motivation and inspiration to create truly great songs. Listen to other chip musicians, listen to lots of different music (even stuff you wouldn't normally, you'll get inspiration from weird places), get more familiar with the tracker, if you don't already have some kind of knowledge of music theory that will help but it's not necessary. Have fun and I hope to see more songs from you soon.

Armidale NSW Australia :D

http://chipmusic.org/square0ne/music/tried-and-tested

is this better?

The end sample isn't really directed at anyone as an individual.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

does anyone else think that CC (I meant constructive criticism not creative commons) is completely fucking useless? I have never wanted it

Last edited by Reteris (Mar 31, 2012 10:51 pm)

Reteris wrote:

does anyone else think that CC (I meant constructive criticism not creative commons) is completely fucking useless? I have never wanted it

Well yeah  its all about if you enjoy the music you're making but its nice to hear what other people think smile

Rochester, NY
Reteris wrote:

I will know if something is wrong if I write a song and will try to correct it myself

Sometimes I can't... at that point I will then ask for someone else's opinion

so it can be useful sometimes

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

I just feel like art shouldn't have any "wrongs" ;s
variation creates new genres
music is just a personal thing to me I guess, it's great for someone to tell you they like what you made, and it's fine for them to give their opinion, it's just not something I would ask for. To each his own I guess.

detroit
Reteris wrote:

To each his own I guess.

San Angelo, TX
Victory Road wrote:

Perfect

Just Finished My NEW EP hellz Yeah

Sydney, NSW

Jesus christ that was quick

Chainsaw Police wrote:

Jesus christ that was quick

XD

Last edited by square0ne (Apr 1, 2012 11:08 am)

New York City

Massive facepalm.

São Paulo, Brazil
square0ne wrote:

The end sample

lol