shanghai
boaconstructor wrote:

Xilent is certainly within the realm of sell-out dubstep artists

oh god yeah. he started of trying to rip off Spor sounds in drum n bass in the first place lol. Then Spor made some of this horrible 'dubstep' as people call it and Xilent did too. I mean this is straight Radio 1 lunchtime shit in the UK. If someone dropped this at a proper bass music night in London  (or even shanghai for that matter) where the attendees where over the age of 14 people would heckle.  I really really really dont get it at all what people see in this music. Its just so stupid and the complete opposite of what dubstep was intended to be, which is just funny and ironic when you think about it. Where's the space ? The cavernous sub ? Its all waaa waaa duck rape - ugh

for what it is (brostep), ive heard MUCH worse

Earth
Downstate wrote:

Where's the space ? The cavernous sub ?

I feel ya. I've gone on the same rant. It's sad that the atmosphere is gone from dubstep.

Comment removed.

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 7:05 am)

Westfield, NJ
breakphase wrote:
Downstate wrote:

Where's the space ? The cavernous sub ?

I feel ya. I've gone on the same rant. It's sad that the atmosphere is gone from dubstep.

It's not like one style came along and completely erased the other. I don't think anyone in this day and age pretends that brostep is comparable to the stuff you guys are talking about. They are just different styles. Some people like sub bass and some people like high pitched modem squeals. There's still producers out there making the classic stuff. So what?

buffalo, NY

Good tune.  He didn't use the mario coin noise (as far as I could tell), he used the fireball and koopa kick noises. 

My jaded opinion is that even though he used them effectively, still loses points for using Mario samples.

Last edited by danimal cannon (Jan 31, 2013 4:09 am)

Unsubscribe
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

GUYS GUYS GUYS

Kap Bambino is rad.

Of course they were.

And Crystal Castles.

Is not where, cc never were 4ever

shanghai

decktonic - you make a good point i guess. but alot of the old school cats sold out like hell. Magnetic man anyone ..........

Westfield, NJ
Downstate wrote:

decktonic - you make a good point i guess. but alot of the old school cats sold out like hell. Magnetic man anyone ..........

No disagreement there! But I don't think there's anything wrong with selling out smile

canada
extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia wrote:

didn't click, he called it Boss Wave

haha

Earth
Decktonic wrote:
breakphase wrote:

It's not like one style came along and completely erased the other. I don't think anyone in this day and age pretends that brostep is comparable to the stuff you guys are talking about. They are just different styles. Some people like sub bass and some people like high pitched modem squeals. There's still producers out there making the classic stuff. So what?

Well, I don't want to make a thing of it, but sometimes it *seems* like wubstep is all there is. It's just everywhere. Still I've learned to surpress my cynicism and evaluate each wub on it's own merits. I know there's still the other stuff out there.

Sydney, NSW
Downstate wrote:

the complete opposite of what dubstep was intended to be

"...the complete opposite of what dubstep was intended to be", Downstate types from his computer, the complete opposite of what the Turing machine was intended to be, while he sees some people passing by his window, the complete opposite of what homo erectus was meant to be.

Dude, things evolve. Things change. Get with the times, fuck.

Downstate wrote:

Where's the space ? The cavernous sub ? Its all waaa waaa duck rape - ugh

Some people like it, obviously. I personally love most "brostep" music (whatever that means (i know what it means, i just like to deny that it exists)). Some of the things these guys are doing with synthesisers is pretty killer. Have you really ever sat down and tried to hear what Skrilex does with those two-beat tearouts at the start of Scary Monsters? That's some insanely crazy FM synthesis shit going on right there.

Music evolves all the time. We went from complex over-embellished baroque-era compositions, to classical-era music, and further on a few centuries later to vinyl- and casette-era pop music. Then the radio age hit. Then came the internet and the dubstep wave. Trap music is just over a year old now.
Music has gone from acoustic orchestral arrangements to smaller acoustic bands (maybe with an electric instrument or two if the band had the money), to the electronic music age. Now we're getting tired of composing melodies and vocal lines and instead work on the synth sounds in themselves. We're always looking to do crazy new shit with music, and dubstep is the latest experiment (which seems to have gone awfully well).

But we're all gonna be grumpy old men and women when it comes to our old old ages and our kids listen to something we barely understand.

Sydney, NSW
Decktonic wrote:

There's still producers out there making the classic stuff. So what?

This is such a good release. As well as a fair few brosteppy tunes (Funtcase's 'The Jungle' remix and Flux's 'Meathead' are absolutely killer, though), there's a metric cuntload of classic tunes from a huge slew of the "original dubstep producers". Goth Trad, Skream, Mala, Lee Perry, 16BIT, Icicle, Cyrus, Jakes, Truth, Phaeleh, and even Horsepower Productions.

A lot of GetDarker's yearly compilations are full of great tunes, this is just my favourite at the moment.

So breakphase, if that's not enough to reinstate your faith in the fact that "wubstep is all there is", then I don't know what is.

babylon

i cant be mad at people that call their bro stuff  "dubstep",  theyre drum and bass "jungle", and their uk hardcore "happy hardcore". it takes too much energy for a losing battle. but as far as the op's video - i didnt care for it. no real reason.

Seattle, WA US

Yikes wasn't trying to start a bro/dub argument.. but even for this newer style, I'm just sayin Xilent is the sort of producer who makes music that he knows people like

shanghai
Chainsaw Police wrote:
Downstate wrote:

the complete opposite of what dubstep was intended to be

"...the complete opposite of what dubstep was intended to be", Downstate types from his computer, the complete opposite of what the Turing machine was intended to be, while he sees some people passing by his window, the complete opposite of what homo erectus was meant to be.

Dude, things evolve. Things change. Get with the times, fuck.

Downstate wrote:

Where's the space ? The cavernous sub ? Its all waaa waaa duck rape - ugh

Some people like it, obviously. I personally love most "brostep" music (whatever that means (i know what it means, i just like to deny that it exists)). Some of the things these guys are doing with synthesisers is pretty killer. Have you really ever sat down and tried to hear what Skrilex does with those two-beat tearouts at the start of Scary Monsters? That's some insanely crazy FM synthesis shit going on right there.

Music evolves all the time. We went from complex over-embellished baroque-era compositions, to classical-era music, and further on a few centuries later to vinyl- and casette-era pop music. Then the radio age hit. Then came the internet and the dubstep wave. Trap music is just over a year old now.
Music has gone from acoustic orchestral arrangements to smaller acoustic bands (maybe with an electric instrument or two if the band had the money), to the electronic music age. Now we're getting tired of composing melodies and vocal lines and instead work on the synth sounds in themselves. We're always looking to do crazy new shit with music, and dubstep is the latest experiment (which seems to have gone awfully well).

But we're all gonna be grumpy old men and women when it comes to our old old ages and our kids listen to something we barely understand.

i am all for things evolving sure. just sick of playing an ital tek record or phaelah and having a drunk dickhead asking me to play dubstep.
I dont mind there being a type of dubstep like this waaah waaah stuff, but its annoyingly popular now, not in the sense that 'im too cool to like mainstream dance music', in the sense that its just bandwagon shit now. Fucking the doors and skrillex - fuck off. Everyone popstars making a record with 'dubstep influences' (cringe) thesedays. Anyway there is no settlement to the arguement because i can not hear this music as anything else than over compressed modern dance music shit with no rawness(in  the good sense) or nice bass.
i did youtube scary monsters but im afraid i hear nothing groundbreaking about that synthesis what so ever. just horrible synth leads put through a skream filter on reason...... it sounds like garbage to me. Its all SO over compressed and boring. Not suprising by the 87676 videos on youtube showing 'how to make dubstep bass that sounds EXACTLY like so and so's bass sound', and everyone using the same kick snare as deadmaus.

So i do get narky about it sometimes, who wouldnt. years ago im playing people dubstep by loefah thats raw and deep like old jungle was and people are like its fucking shit that dubstep stuff......fast forward a few years and there all like 'yeah im into dubstep'. and they are. because sadly thats what is perceived as dubstep thesedays. tell someone you like dubstep and they mke all these odd waaah wer wub wub weeeerp noise with their mouth at you lol. But of course there is still dope shit about. Pinch never let the side down, always pushing forward rather than making remixes of pop records liek the other sell outs. nothing wrong with selling out. theyre entitled to make whatever they want. as you are entitled to enjoy it. as i am entitled to despair with it haha

But dude seriously -trap music has been about LOOOONG before 2012. i know skrillex has done a tune with ASAP now but that shit is not legit AT ALL. This is why i rant. because trap is already dead for the most part. the 'EDM' people have got their mitts on it and turned it into waaah wweeeer disgusting shit like how dubstep died. That skrillex and asap tune is just beyond awful, total bandwagon shit. the origin of trap is similar in a way to dubstep really. Its dark, brooding, low-fi in many ways in its rawness. Not hectic shit with synths that sound horrible fighting for space with an MC....... The old dirty south / crunk beats have been knocking out for years, hence the old TI record called 'trap music volume one' from years ago...... its bong smoking hustler music out of atlanta. But now its turned into 'dance music' as opposed to a hip hop beat someone would mc over. I dont mind that. I dj it. Well the 5% of it that isnt utter shit....... it has of course evolved as you said things do. unfortunately evolved into predictable territory where bro step is basically now slapping an 808 trap beat under its waaaaah and killing 'trap' music of any opportunity to become more thoughtful and interesting ala evian christ. Now its all trap mixes of old trance songs from the 90's, all with the same fucking bleeps and whirrrrres.

if you read all this - sorry you wasted your time on my stoned rants again haha

Last edited by Downstate (Jan 31, 2013 12:01 pm)

Westfield, NJ
boaconstructor wrote:

Yikes wasn't trying to start a bro/dub argument...

we're not arguing! your parents love each other very much. now go to your room.