San Diego, CA
Downstate wrote:

Hmmm, well what i mean is  - the more a wider audience lap up the shitty brostep, (i mean an audience not so much into underground music or the culture that goes with it / but more an audience into dance remixes of pop songs) - then the more the scene dies.

I'm not sure if scenes ever "die"; they just change. Sometimes we agree with that change and sometimes we don't, but I DO know that what kills a scene more certainly than anything else is if there IS no audience. People have been saying that hip hop has been dying for years now. I don't think it's going anywhere.

Downstate wrote:

Because people that used to make good stuff and not care about the FAME, compromise their shit and before you know it the artists that used to be innovative are just hashing out shit that is boring, predictable and 'safe' i guess i'd say.

People still do! And I don't think it's our place to say whether a popular artist is compromising at all. Maybe Skrillex makes the music he does because that's the sound he really likes. It just so happens that there are a whole lot of other people that really like it too. I'm not saying that this is the case 100% of the time, but I like to think that artists are sincere most of the time, and it's the systems around the artists (music distributors, internet hype tunnels, etc.) that give us the impression of "insincerity."

Downstate wrote:

I dont hate people for liking brostep, but like Decktonic says - it's damn annoying that the people into 'dubstep' nowadays are the kind of fuckers that dont know the difference between any types of dance music, the same people that ask for 'hip hop' when you're playing PUTS or even Wu-tang instead of Rick Ross.

I understand how annoying this gets! For people like us it's kind of hard to imagine living as though music isn't one of the more important things in our lives but honestly, other people have more important things to care about than whether tech-house is ACTUALLY tech-house or not. And even if it's a REALLY obvious difference, I don't think it's worth it to care unduly about their knowledge of lack thereof, because in the end, their fondness for a certain sound/genre/artist is still the same as ours. There's no such thing as liking a "real" anything anymore, because what "real" dubstep/hip-hop/EDM/alt-rock is doesn't exist anymore, and it hasn't for some time. Instead of getting hung up on whether their enjoyment is genuine or not, I would prefer to celebrate their enjoyment of a genre and guide them toward other, deeper cuts that they might enjoy just as much as we do. Labels are overrated, anyway.

Sydney, NSW
Downstate wrote:

But dude seriously -trap music has been about LOOOONG before 2012.

preaching to the choir.
by trap, i'm pretty much talking about the "nu-wave trap" stuff that came around after flosstradamus did their Original Don rmx. Stuff that you hear belted out constantly at clubs now. of course 808s and brass and insane snare rolls have been around prior to 2012.

shanghai

you make good points. i make stoned points that i probably contradict an hour later. i will leave my final say as my first. For what it is the song aint terrible. im sorry for my rant. i am old now. and i sold out to making hipster music thesedays anyway so i should really shut the fuck up before i get called out on that.

San Diego, CA

Hey -- I'm not trying to accuse you of anything! I really do appreciate your perspective on this kind of stuff. And the fact that you even bothered to make those points means that you care, which counts for a lot these days smile

Tacoma WA

That video was really fun

Seattle, WA US
Downstate wrote:

you make good points. i make stoned points that i probably contradict an hour later. i will leave my final say as my first. For what it is the song aint terrible. im sorry for my rant. i am old now. and i sold out to making hipster music thesedays anyway so i should really shut the fuck up before i get called out on that.

STFU man all u do these days is make hipster music u sellout

Sydney, NSW
Downstate wrote:

fuk dat. I'm not gonna call someone out on the music they make. that's 8bc-kind low

shanghai

this thread feels like 8bc : P

hardcore, Australia
Chainsaw Police wrote:

Stuff that you hear belted out constantly at clubs now.

This guy dot jaypeg.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Downstate wrote:

Late to the party, but don't belittle your opinion. Most of your weed-addled rants are the best things I read on this site. Especially the ones in this thread. I wish I had been here two days ago to discuss this stuff, because this is the sort of stuff I like to talk about. Also, your opinion is kind of interesting, you make niche, experimental (style, not genre) music and DJ for clubs in a city/country that doesn't appreciate shitty pop and loves good dance/every other kind of music. Not that you're THE voice for this sort of discussion, but I find your point of view interesting on this topic.

/enddicksucking

Last edited by Russellian (Feb 3, 2013 2:28 am)

London

Music evolves so does Dubstep, House,etc,...

The only thing that makes me upset is how a lot producers are focusing on blatantly copying someone else's sounds or song structures, it is funny since a lot of people seem to care more about how to emulate a sound rather than creating interesting melodies and composition, just because technology allows it to and processing power on computers increase there is no need to switch between 20 synth sounds for the sake of it.

Sadly music producers are becoming copy cats, the same thing has happened to other genres such as Drum and Bass for example (Ed Rush and Optical have been copied to death); it seems to me that if someone creates a successful sound or style by trying something different there are thousands of other people that can't be bothered to try making something original and they just copy the same formula.

I think music is for people to be creative with and to show their artistic expression and not be afraid of trying new things out,  for a generation in which record labels are no longer needed and music ideas can flow freely, it is sad to see how desperate producers are by trying to emulate an style to get the same recognition as the ones they have copied from.

Last edited by Hektagon (Feb 12, 2013 11:29 am)

Chicago IL

Oh good I wasn't tired of seeing this in recent posts!

TSSBAY01
Saskrotch wrote:

Oh good I wasn't tired of seeing this in recent posts!

nobody is forcing your hand onto your mouse to read these posts, or your hands onto your keyboard to type a response except you. and given you make this same post 10x a week every single week, its gotten tiring to read as much as the discussions.

perhaps try to knock it down to say, 1x a week by reading the forum less. it could help.

Chicago IL

yeah i should probably stick to bumping topics 3 days after someone posted to tell them they're assholes

edit: also just looked through 10 pages of my posts and didn't find another one where i'm complaining about an old thread being bumped.

Last edited by Saskrotch (Feb 15, 2013 9:41 am)

TSSBAY01

i think its in your best interest to stop reading the forums for a while if this is your only mode of communication here. you're missing the point entirely and if you cant at least attempt to be a bit less of a negative nancy it would be for the best for you. im sorry that my post made you read 10 pages of your posts looking for complaining, but if you did that, maybe you didnt actually read your posts.