San Francisco

DIDJ

While wandering around a local thrift shop i came across a Leapster handheld device.

A few years back i had a teacher who worked at the leap frog company as a game developer for the leapster and Didj handhelds. i recall asking him how the machines generated sound and as it turns out it is all sample based. It apparently runs on linux. leap frog released the source code for the devices and it would appear homebrew is now possible for these machines.

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/t … ge__st__75
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/t … y-chip-id/

according to this forum post the Didj has similar hardware to the WIZ and more powerful then dingoo and would be for much more cheaper. some people are claiming to buy these units at around $30.

If lpgt was proted to  the Didj it maybe the cheapest most accessible port for handheld software.

not to mention the button layout would fit perfectly.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by wedanced (Apr 1, 2010 10:09 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

AFAIK you will have to wait for SDL to arrive (maybe it's there already, I dunno).

Are you referring to the simple direct media layer library when you say sdl? Hasn't that been on linux for a while? Or do you mean something else?

uhajdafdfdfa

For x86 and i586 only, no?

Brazil

I don't understand shit you guys are saying, but this is good news to my (cheap) pockets.

BOSTON

yeah, i want this to work

Unsubscribe

Piggy doesnt need sdl as much I think.. just a good linux toolchain. Anyways does that thing have shoulder pads?

Geneva, NY
herr_prof wrote:

Anyways does that thing have shoulder pads?

If you look closely, you'll see it do.

Unsubscribe

I CANT SEE THAT FROM THE PHOTO DINGBAT

Abandoned on Fire

Also, here's a review with more pics: http://tinyurl.com/ybtywef

Last edited by egr (Apr 2, 2010 2:03 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

As far as i'm concerned i think there are enough bugs that already need fixing on the current ported platforms.
I.e. Making the exhisting gp2x version more midi friendly and expanding the midi capabilities.

All of which is stuff that Marc may or may not have time to even think about..
smile I'd love to see lgpt on all handhelds, but we gotta pick our battles here.

Abandoned on Fire
low-gain wrote:

As far as i'm concerned i think there are enough bugs that already need fixing on the current ported platforms.
I.e. Making the exhisting gp2x version more midi friendly and expanding the midi capabilities.

smile I'd love to see lgpt on all handhelds, but we gotta pick our battles here.

That reminds me... is any progress being made for PSP midi?  I seem to have lost my link to that forum or whatever.

Unsubscribe

I think its up the hardware devs. Marc isn't one, so if they get cracking, we'll see more midi features!

San Francisco

that would be awesome

San Francisco
low-gain wrote:

i hear what your saying but if you look at it....

psp $99
GP32/gp2x (no longer in production) $100 -150+ ?
dingoo $107
DIDJ $30

you cant beat that price and anyone can do it.

I am not demanding anything it was just a thought. he is a busy guy. i dont expect anything.

+the new ghetto is awesome. i cant wait to see the next stable version!!! all the dev that he has done is great.

Last edited by wedanced (Apr 6, 2010 9:59 am)

East Kilbride, Scotland
wedanced wrote:

i hear what your saying but if you look at it....

psp $99
GP32/gp2x (no longer in production) $100 -150+ ?
dingoo $107
DIDJ $30

you cant beat that price and anyone can do it.
I am not demanding anything it was just a thought. he is a busy guy. i dont expect anything.

Taken from the LGPT website:

"All versions are available for free ; however, if you like the project and want to contribute, don't hesitate to do a small donation. If you'd like to see the piggy wiggling on your particular hardware, you can try donation too."

So if you want to make it happen, put your money where your mouth is. smile