NC in the US of America

Some usefulvocab: envelope, table, arp, modulation, vibrato, sweep, pattern

You  about other trackers. Learn about them

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 24, 2013 2:46 pm)

New Albany Indiana
Edward Shallow wrote:

How often are you really asked this question?

If this article is mainly about LSDJ why do you call it an article about chiptune? It isn't, really. Seems, as has been stated, more about how to get loads of shit you don't need to make chip tune.

i never called it or anything else "an article about chiptune".

I get asked about 3-5 times a month.

Every thing i mentioned in there that you can buy is stuff you need to run lsdj.

so if you are reading this, most likely i directed you here to learn how to chiptune lsdj style.

from above, i obviously stated that is was based off LSDj, then i later brought up that there were other ways other than LSDj.

New Albany Indiana

Let me just make a statement saying that there are more than one way to chiptune, although LSDj maybe the most popular, you might be looking for something else like a computer based tracker, and there are allot of them, i would recommend renoise which is a very useful tracker with tons of tools, it also has vst capabilities. (http://www.renoise.com/)

New Albany Indiana
SketchMan3 wrote:

Thank you for the useful cc and not spewing useless douchebagery all over me. I'll make sure to add those.

NC in the US of America
Bit wish wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

Thank you for the useful cc and not spewing useless douchebagery all over me. I'll make sure to add those.

Dumb android keyboard is dumb. That should have been "You said you don't know anything about other trackers. You should learn about them..." and I might add "... so you can give your readers a bit more options and a wider scope on the available free tools. It's good to be well-rounded it, or at least smooth over the edges a little ;D".

Every thing i mentioned in there that you can buy is stuff you need to run lsdj.

I only skimmed the article, but technically the only thing you really need to buy to run lsdj is LSDJ, since you probably already own a computer. But you probably already mentioned that you can run it in an emulator so that's okay. You could possibly mention that a USB Game Controller is useful, since one of the biggest complaints I hear about people using emulated LSDJ is the difficulty of using a keyboard.

› *

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 24, 2013 7:01 pm)

.FILTHadelphia

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to be a dick or troll you, I just want to explain what I am seeing here.

My problem with your article is what's the point? There's nothing there other than what LSDJ can run on. After you rattle off a mildly informed list of ways to run LSDJ you link to someone else's tutorial, so again what's the point? Save yourself the energy and just tell people to use Google.

Montreal, Canada
Bit wish wrote:

Yet this thread is called "I WROTE AN ARTICLE ON HOW TO CHIPTUNE"

But anyways. The article is meh, and the writing/vocabulary is awful. I fail to see the point of it really when a simple Google search will give you better and more extensive information. If you get asked 5 times a month for this information, tell them to learn how the internet works.

Scotland
Bit wish wrote:

the title of this thread is "I WROTE AN ARTICLE ON HOW TO CHIPTUNE."

Bit wish wrote:

i never called it or anything else "an article about chiptune". Every thing i mentioned in there that you can buy is stuff you need to run lsdj.  so if you are reading this, most likely i directed you here to learn how to chiptune lsdj style.

see above. you should title things more clearly. it's an early attempt at 'how to get started with lsdj' it's nothing more than that. there's nothing wrong with that, but the article doesn't teach anything about 'how to chiptune.' there's a reason people are finding it cringe worthy.

Bit wish wrote:

so if you are reading this, most likely i directed you here to learn how to chiptune lsdj style.

i don't even want to approach this sentence. but, regardless, you didn't direct anyone here on the forum to this information, and better information already exists in a more condensed and easier to understand format. i understand you're being defensive because you put time into this work, and it's a good place to start - it's just a bit all over the place, inconsistent and difficult to read.

also, chiptune as a verb? uggggh.

NC in the US of America
n00bstar wrote:
Bit wish wrote:

Yet this thread is called "I WROTE AN ARTICLE ON HOW TO CHIPTUNE"

<joestar>Your next line will be "An article on 'How to chiptune' is not the same as an article 'about chiptune' in general"</joestar>

I didn't actually find any major problems with the article itself; maybe I'm just not that critical.

However, a general rule of web design is to have the text be either black on white, or white on black. Some better formatting could also supplement the article's readability, and fixing errors (the word 'I' is always uppercase) could improve your credibility.

Thanks for writing an article though; it really helps the scene to become more accessible.

ad-hell-aide

The title could be changed to "How to Chip Tune with a Game Boy".

UK, Leicester
little-scale wrote:

But the problem with that is that chiptune is still being used as a verb

ad-hell-aide

You win some, you lose some. I think it would be a good compromise.

little-scale wrote:

But what about nanoloop????

ad-hell-aide

Indeed.

perth, WA

what's wrong with using chiptune as a verb?