barf

http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Battle … +Chip+III/

there's 12 formats this year!! here they are

- AdLib Soundcard
- Atari Pokey x2
- AY-3-8910/YM2149
- Chip Battle Art (Visual art for the contest!)
- PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16
- Mario Paint (SNES)
- MIDI (GM Wavetable)
- NES/Famicom 2a03 + Expansions
- Sega Mega Drive/Genesis
- SNES/Super Famicom
- 24k tracker module
- **WILD CHIP** (this category can be anything you want!! just as long as it sounds chippy)

it's on for the next 32 days, closing 29th of July! make sure you enter a track~~~

Last edited by kfaraday (Jul 27, 2013 9:30 pm)

... O_O ...
i can't wait!!!

NC in the US of America

It's ON!

Spring Tracks II had some really great stuff. I wonder how this one will turn out...

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 27, 2013 11:38 am)

England

I'm gonna submit for the first time in ages

but

do SIDs have to be submitted as wildcard? :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Last edited by Jellica (Jun 27, 2013 12:05 pm)

barf

yep! sid is in the wildcard this year

(updated the OP with more info!)

canada

ayuuuuuuu

Gosford, Australia

MIDI! big_smile

[removed]

Last edited by Feryl (Feb 19, 2024 9:27 pm)

Manchester, UK

Hey guys, I'm a chipnub, but I notice there's a SNES/Super Famicom category there. Does this mean there's a way to make music with SNES hardware? Because I've gotta tell you, that would make several of my dreams come true.

Since that question is edging towards off-topic, here's an on-topic question: how loose is that Wild Chip category? Could I make a song exclusively in a mainstream DAW as long as I'm using simple waveforms that, as you said , "sound chippy"? If so, I might have a go smile

canada

to answer your first question: nope there is no way to create SNES music natively, however you can use mariopants to make mario paint files.

to answer your second question: YES!!!

Manchester, UK

I got way too excited about that native SNES music idea and now I'm sad sad Mariopants is a hilarious name. I've never used the Mario Paint music maker but it looks like a laugh.

Brighton/Southampton
Boddrick wrote:

Hey guys, I'm a chipnub, but I notice there's a SNES/Super Famicom category there. Does this mean there's a way to make music with SNES hardware? Because I've gotta tell you, that would make several of my dreams come true.

Not that I know of. However, you can make an 8-channel .it file (using MPT or whatever you wish), and then use SNESMOD to convert it to .spc which is accepted smile Just make sure that the file-size and your samples are small enough and that you don't use any invalid commands.

You can also make an 8-channel .xm and convert that to .spc using XMSNES. Haven't tried this method myself but I imagine similar restrictions apply.

You can also use MML but I know next to nothing about that..

Since that question is edging towards off-topic, here's an on-topic question: how loose is that Wild Chip category? Could I make a song exclusively in a mainstream DAW as long as I'm using simple waveforms that, as you said , "sound chippy"? If so, I might have a go smile

YES! As long as it's remotely chip-sounding/influenced, then it's fine. Use whatever you wish

Manchester, UK

Thanks dude! I didn't understand much of that if I'm honest, but it's the thought that counts eh.

Fearofdark wrote:

YES! As long as it's remotely chip-sounding/influenced, then it's fine. Use whatever you wish

Nice one. Sounds as if more-than-8-bit kicks are fair game, which is good, since that's my MO.

canada

i think only a .sho file is allowed this time so you would have to use a mario paint file and not xmsnes to make a .spc

UK, Leicester

Got a question about the Wild Chip format, could it be a chip song, but include a played instrument?

canada

yep