Ok i came to this forum looking for how to make chiptunes but i dont even no where to start and im getting a headache, so ill just come out and ask
is there any way to make chiptunes without a gameboy?? modding a g/b seems like a pain and i dont own one anyway and i cant afford to but a modded one but there has to be a way other than a gameboy? I am obbsesed with chiptunes and nintendocore artists (I have my own blog dedicated to them) and its driving mme nuts that i can't make my own and everytime i google how to make chiptunes i get some website with some web browser gimmik. i no there has to be a better way (for free??) so is there any free program i can download to make chiptunes? i dont no anything about music theroy or anything i just want to create chiptunes easly on my computer if its possible to do for free. PPLEASE if u no a way then post a answer.

oh and plz dont tell me about trackers eaither cuz i already tried the nes one and i cant figure it out at all so plz tell me another free way thanx

NC in the US of America

Well the majority of the answers to your question would "learn how to tracker" with any number of the many free trackers out there, so... there are no shortcuts to success.

You can run LSDJ without a gameboy by using an emulator like bgb. But lsdj is trackerish, so you probably won't want it.

LMMS is a free open-source DAW that has a bunch of chiptune based plugins. That'd probably be the easiest free option for you.

Really, though, trackers are great. HivelyTracker, Klystracker, Deflemask (it can do Gameboy stuff), SlowTracker (lol), MilkyTracker, FamiTracker, Boyscout, p5tracker, Beepola, faust music creator there are so many tracker options.

Oh, also chiptune is not easier to make than any other type of music, so if you are thinking you can "easily make good chiptune" as opposed to any other form of music without any musical knowledge whatsoever then you are in for a shock. If you want to be an artist you have to put in the work and time to do it properly. It took me about 2 hours constant to get used to FamiTracker, and I'm STILL not completely comfortable with everything about it.

Learn to music through (hopefully) talent, hard-work, and self-criticism. Don't post your first "chiptune" online for just anybody to see because it is very likely that it'll be terrible. Show it to somebody close to you whom you trust to be honest with you and hopefully has good taste in music.

Also read the FAQ sticky

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 30, 2013 10:27 pm)

US, Florida
SketchMan3 wrote:

Well the majority of the answers to your question would "learn how to tracker" with any number of the many free trackers out there, so... there are no shortcuts to success.

You can run LSDJ without a gameboy by using an emulator like bgb. But lsdj is trackerish, so you probably won't want it.

LMMS is a free open-source DAW that has a bunch of chiptune based plugins. That'd probably be the easiest free option for you.

Really, though, trackers are great. HivelyTracker, Klystracker, Deflemask (it can do Gameboy stuff), SlowTracker (lol), MilkyTracker, FamiTracker, Boyscout, p5tracker, Beepola, faust music creator there are so many tracker options.

Oh, also chiptune is not easier to make than any other type of music, so if you are thinking you can "easily make good chiptune" as opposed to any other form of music without any musical knowledge whatsoever then you are in for a shock. If you want to be an artist you have to put in the work and time to do it properly. It took me about 2 hours constant to get used to FamiTracker, and I'm STILL not completely comfortable with everything about it.

Learn to music through (hopefully) talent, hard-work, and self-criticism. Don't post your first "chiptune" online for just anybody to see because it is very likely that it'll be terrible. Show it to somebody close to you whom you trust to be honest with you and hopefully has good taste in music.

Also read the sticky "Getting Started"

Listen to him.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Also, to bust another misconception you seem to have - modding a gameboy is not very hard, nor is it necessary in order to make music on a gameboy.

babylon

gxscc is the easiest way to pretend that you make chip.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValle … sorigE.htm

IL, US

stickied topic with plenty of info here: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3988/ … read-this/

Vienna

if you don't like trackers and want it for free you should try PxTone. it's easy to learn.

http://www.cavestory.org/othergames_pxtone.php

Last edited by Rico Z (Jun 30, 2013 9:00 pm)

detroit

nintendowut ?

barbeque wrote:

nintendowut ?

nintendowhore

California, United States

Hate to tell you this, but a majority of chiptune music is composed with trackers (or at least, in my circles)
Yes, they can be hard to learn, but if you really want to write music then you have to learn stuff! Most of the trackers SketchMan3 listed have communities where you can go and ask questions too.

Nothing really comes easy, you have to get down and dirty sometimes if you really want to write! wink

I want to learn how to make chiptunes, but I dont want to spend any money or learn how to use the free programs.

my mom's basement
nintendocoreuwantmore wrote:

Ok i came to this forum looking for how to make chiptunes but i dont even no where to start and im getting a headache, so ill just come out and ask
is there any way to make chiptunes without a gameboy?? modding a g/b seems like a pain and i dont own one anyway and i cant afford to but a modded one but there has to be a way other than a gameboy? I am obbsesed with chiptunes and nintendocore artists (I have my own blog dedicated to them) and its driving mme nuts that i can't make my own and everytime i google how to make chiptunes i get some website with some web browser gimmik. i no there has to be a better way (for free??) so is there any free program i can download to make chiptunes? i dont no anything about music theroy or anything i just want to create chiptunes easly on my computer if its possible to do for free. PPLEASE if u no a way then post a answer.

plz english good

hiding under your bed
DESUMATE wrote:

I want to learn how to make chiptunes, but I dont want to spend any money or learn how to use the free programs.

Don't we all?

washington
kineticturtle wrote:

modding a gameboy is not very hard, nor is it necessary in order to make music on a gameboy.

this. i've put out a couple albums using unmodded gameboys, and i barely missed the mods at all.

the success of those albums is a different matter, though. wink

NC in the US of America
e.s.c. wrote:

stickied topic with plenty of info here: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3988/ … read-this/

Oh, woops, that's what I meant when I said "Getting Started" my bad.

I'd  forgotten about PXTone. I haven't used pxtone, but I know Orgmaker (made by the same programmer) is pretty neat and relatively user friendly.

And yes, I'd forgotten to mention that you don't need a modded gameboy. You just need a writable gameboy cartridge with a music producing program.