barf

kids on the slope! i had no idea shinichiro watanabe had another anime, i will put it on my list along with lots of other shows

samurai champloo is great :3 i like how his shows tend to be much nicer watches dubbed haha

UK, Leicester
uuni wrote:

This is the problem: you didn't watch the whole series through. People dislike it for its slow build up, but its necessary, otherwise the show would not be as genius as it is. It's hard to describe this without spoiling anything, but - wait, why did you even begin to watch EoE if you hadn't watched past 16 episodes? You really need to just watch everything over again in order, and fight the urge to stop watching because you think it's "dull" (btw, if you let "that scene" put you off, you definitely need a better sense of context). Everything in Evangelion comes together perfectly, regardless of what anyone says. It's one of the most highly acclaimed animes, and the soundtrack is killer!!! I highly advise you reconsider your anime watching habits.

Also - Serial Experiments Lain is rockin' too. Watch it.

I tend to follow the three episode rule when I watch an anime, if by the third episode, I still don't like it, then I drop it. 3 episodes tends to give the show enough time to actually do something, there are of course things where the rule doesn't apply, clannad and steins;gate you need to watch about 5-7 episodes. I would have dropped NGE within about 7 episodes if it wasn't for all the hype associated with it. An with EoE, I haven't watched it, I got linked to "that scene" by someone I know online, I wouldn't watch the film that takes place after the series, while still watching the series because that's p dumb. I still don't quite understand how "that scene" will be any better in any context, but whatever. Also, I can't find the article at the moment, but it's a very interesting read, basically it's about how the author of NGE hates the series, and hates anyone who likes it.
Will admit that the soundtrack can have it's moments.

SketchMan3 wrote:

To each his own, I like Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi No Apollon), Gurren Lagann, Towanoquon, Toriko, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Rainbow,  Beck Mongolian Chop Squad, K-On!, Azumanga Daioh, House of Five Leaves...

ugh... too much variety...

TTGL is dope, genuinely one of my favorite anime of all time. Beck was amazing as well, I enjoyed how, compared to something like K-On, which is moeshite with guitars, Beck was actually about a musician. It felt as though it was written by someone who had actually been in a band, or had friends who could tell them, it was so well done.

kfaraday wrote:

samurai champloo is great :3 i like how his shows tend to be much nicer watches dubbed haha

I don't like dubs, imo they are rarely as good as the Japanese originals. Baccano had a fantastic dub, it's the only time where I've chose it over the original, mostly because brooklyn accents.

Brunswick, GA USA

Beck is surprisingly accurate in places though the endings in both manga and anime aren't very satisfying. Also, "fluent English" as spoken by stroke victims.

K-on has a pattern that develops with their school year so I stopped after a while.

Gosford, Australia
Alpine wrote:

Baccano had a fantastic dub, it's the only time where I've chose it over the original, mostly because brooklyn accents.

just finished baccano in english tonight. solid dub!
trying to get through shinkon gattai godannar now. it's equal parts hilarious, embarrassing and awe-inspiring to watch.

Nottingham, UK

I'm a huge sub elitist. It's not even the language. I just can't get into everyone having american accents.

This season I've been watching Gargantia, Aku no Hana (the manga was great), Shingeki no Kyojin, (again, manga has been amazing) and although I'm a bit behind Space Brothers has been a safe bet the whole way through.

Most seasons I'll pick a handful and see where they take me. Usually try to get at least one slice of life in there. When everything sucks I just go back to marathoning every UC gundam series.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Jul 7, 2013 5:20 pm)

my mind on my anime and my anime on my mind

UK, Leicester
chunter wrote:

Beck is surprisingly accurate in places though the endings in both manga and anime aren't very satisfying. Also, "fluent English" as spoken by stroke victims.

K-on has a pattern that develops with their school year so I stopped after a while.

The engrish wasn't too terrible, I was expecting way worse. The anime ending was alright, I kinda wished there was more, It felt cut short, rather than it was supposed to end like that. Haven't read the manga yet, but I'll probably do it in a few years, when the anime isn't so clear in my head.

ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

I'm a huge sub elitist. It's not even the language. I just can't get into everyone having american accents.

This season I've been watching Gargantia, Aku no Hana (the manga was great), Shingeki no Kyojin, (again, manga has been amazing) and although I'm a bit behind Space Brothers has been a safe bet the whole way through.

I always go for subs, unless there's no choice, or if it's exceptional like baccano's, but I haven't found any other good ones.

As for gargantia, I've been watching it, and it's p good so far, there have been a few animation cockups, namely the episode wth all the dancing and stuff, but other than that, pretty alright. I've also been watching valvrave, due to how hilarious it is, problem is that I get Ledo confused with L-Elf, and kinda blend them into the same person. Space brothers is p good as well, although I tanked through around 35 episodes in the space of 4 days, so I haven't really watched much of it since then.

Edit:

After reverse image searching the pic that ningen has as on their bandcamp page, I saw solanin and started reading that. Finished the first volume not to long ago, it's really good so far.

Last edited by Alpine (Jul 7, 2013 6:23 pm)

Nottingham, UK
Alpine wrote:
chunter wrote:

The engrish wasn't too terrible, I was expecting way worse. The anime ending was alright, I kinda wished there was more, It felt cut short, rather than it was supposed to end like that. Haven't read the manga yet, but I'll probably do it in a few years, when the anime isn't so clear in my head.

ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

I always go for subs, unless there's no choice, or if it's exceptional like baccano's, but I haven't found any other good ones.

As for gargantia, I've been watching it, and it's p good so far, there have been a few animation cockups, namely the episode wth all the dancing and stuff, but other than that, pretty alright. I've also been watching valvrave, due to how hilarious it is, problem is that I get Ledo confused with L-Elf, and kinda blend them into the same person. Space brothers is p good as well, although I tanked through around 35 episodes in the space of 4 days, so I haven't really watched much of it since then.

Gargantia's definitely had some serious animation issues. The dancing episode was a proper cringer. Didn't help that they went for the low hanging "HA, aren't trans people scary and weird?" fruit.

ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

After reverse image searching the pic that ningen has as on their bandcamp page, I saw solanin and started reading that. Finished the first volume not to long ago, it's really good so far.

Solanin is great, Inio Asano is a great artist and writer. After Solanin try "What a Wonderful World", it's a collection of short stories but it has a similar bitter sweet vibe.
After that try Oyasumi Pun Pun, which is where that pic is from. I went into it expecting it to be a similar sort of life affirming, bitter sweet story of people getting by. But my god, it's one of the most depressing things I've ever read. It's still on going, but I wait for every new chapter.

She also does some horror work, but I've not really looked into it.

sandneil wrote:

my mind on my anime and my anime on my mind

My waifu life.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Jul 7, 2013 7:09 pm)

Joliette, QC, Canada

wink

Brunswick, GA USA

There'll just be another one.

Consider how stuffy this thread isn't and how bad it could have been if it was created with malicious intent. Is anyone forcing you to read it?

NC in the US of America

I'm sorry, but Beck Dubs all the way. I'll watch a dub if it has good voice acting and I haven't seen the sub yet. Read Or Die, Eureka 7, Lucky Star... Because the original audio track CAN have bad voice acting, and I'm not just going to give them a pass just because it's the original Japanese. English language dub can actually be better sometimes. I won't discriminate.

You really MUST read the manga for Beck. And the live action movie was quite good, too.

@ForABrokenEarth: haha, I'd never thought about having an issue with the accents. The main character in Read Or Die doesn't have any USA accent, I don't think. I can't really place it, though. I want to say it's Canadian, but I'm not really sure.

So... like... is anybody going to talk about anything other than anime? Maybe we should talk about something like New Entertainment Systems so that it looks like it's vaguely related to chipmusic even though it isn't.

I hate the new digital TV stuff that they forced everybody to switch to. At least with the old analog signal if there was interference it'd just get fuzzy and noisy, but with the new system it just skips and freezes so you can't even kind of watch your shows. It's so annoying. Better quality/Interrupted program is not a good trade-off.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 7, 2013 8:06 pm)

it doesnt seem too bad to me. before i had that i could only get 3 channels and two of them were black and white. now i have hundreds of channels and they only really cut out in severe storms anyway. also its much easier to record things

UK, Leicester
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

Gargantia's definitely had some serious animation issues. The dancing episode was a proper cringer. Didn't help that they went for the low hanging "HA, aren't trans people scary and weird?" fruit.

Yeah, that got on my nerves a little.

ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

Solanin is great, Inio Asano is a great artist and writer. After Solanin try "What a Wonderful World", it's a collection of short stories but it has a similar bitter sweet vibe.
After that try Oyasumi Pun Pun, which is where that pic is from. I went into it expecting it to be a similar sort of life affirming, bitter sweet story of people getting by. But my god, it's one of the most depressing things I've ever read. It's still on going, but I wait for every new chapter.

She also does some horror work, but I've not really looked into it.

Cool, I'll check those out, as they all sound promising.

SketchMan3 wrote:

I'm sorry, but Beck Dubs all the way. I'll watch a dub if it has good voice acting and I haven't seen the sub yet. Read Or Die, Eureka 7, Lucky Star... Because the original audio track CAN have bad voice acting, and I'm not just going to give them a pass just because it's the original Japanese. English language dub can actually be better sometimes. I won't discriminate.

You really MUST read the manga for Beck. And the live action movie was quite good, too.

I didn't like the beck dub, thought it was mediocre at best, but each to their own.

SketchMan3 wrote:

So... like... is anybody going to talk about anything other than anime? Maybe we should talk about something like New Entertainment Systems so that it looks like it's vaguely related to chipmusic even though it isn't.

I hate the new digital TV stuff that they forced everybody to switch to. At least with the old analog signal if there was interference it'd just get fuzzy and noisy, but with the new system it just skips and freezes so you can't even kind of watch your shows. It's so annoying. Better quality/Interrupted program is not a good trade-off.

I'm not a massive fan of digital TV, nor am I a massive fan of this whole idea that you should have a mahoosive TV. There's so many people who have massive HD plasma screen TVs, and stuff looks so shit on them, watching any old episodes of the simpsons and DVDs are pretty painful. I mean I'll watch HD videos on my laptop as my monitor is 1280x800, perfect for 720p videos, but having a massive TV around 3-4 times the size to display the same thing doesn't look anything like as good. Also a lot of people don't have a HD TV package, so they just end up watching 480p videos on a 56inch plasma, and imo, that kinda defeats the purpose.

Brunswick, GA USA

I wouldn't want to watch Beck as a dub, though I know there is one, because the notion of "I can't understand xxxxxx" doesn't fly as easily.

NC in the US of America

mediocre at best

Yeah, I can understand why you'd say that. But it helped that I saw dubbed episodes first, and then tried a subbed one and was like "naaah". I think it was the lyrics of the songs that did it for me, and since I didn't have the idea of "can't understand/speak xxxxxxx" as a major element from the beginning, it wasn't a major part of my idea of the mythos of the series. Degraded, yes. But I don't care because I enjoyed it. smile

I generally prefer subs to dubs, though, unless there is a lot of English being spoken.

chunter wrote:

I wouldn't want to watch Beck as a dub, though I know there is one, because the notion of "I can't understand xxxxxx" doesn't fly as easily.

Yeah, that's true.

Having watched the anime and live action movie first, I was surprised by how effective the original manga was at portraying the music scenes.

big screens

I wonder if the people who had TV's the size of a computer desk with a screen the size of a mouse pad felt the same way when TV screens increased to 17" size, haha. The manufacturer's don't care about if you are watching old stuff, it's all about the new. The future.

The thing that annoys me most is how all the new games have such tiny text that you can't read on a smaller screen. That's the only thing I don't like about the oncoming future of super televisions for all.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 7, 2013 11:56 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

I forgot about "I was f o o o l / I never thought you were to go"

But that's some of the charm.

The cm.o screener rendered "I was cat" before I jumbled it a little.

Last edited by chunter (Jul 8, 2013 12:16 am)