Sestri Levante, Genova, Italy

Hi, I need a cheap midi sequencer to control the Sammich SID that I'm waiting to receive.
A friend of mine would give me his Yamaha QY10 to try it. If it will work fine maybe I'll buy one 'cause they're inexpensive.
What do you think about it?
Can QY10 act as a full functions midi sequencer (note,chords,pattern,clock,etc)?
Are there any hardware alternative (obviously cheap)?
Please don't suggest me DAW because I'm not a computer guy.
Thanks in advance.

Tokyo, Japan

Piggy tracker with a midi interface? I have used that set up and it is both super fun and probably a lot more flexible than a QY10

Interesting, but in this case I will need to buy a midi interface and a console (like a psp) where run the program, so it seem to me an expensive option.
Then I've got to say that I don't like tracker's interface at all (in fact the only software that I use it's nanoloop on gb and gb advance sp).

france

I use sometime my qy70 and it works fine.
Don't know if qy10 is fine for midi and if it has enough storage memory.

IL, US
GenSek wrote:

Interesting, but in this case I will need to buy a midi interface and a console (like a psp) where run the program, so it seem to me an expensive option.
Then I've got to say that I don't like tracker's interface at all (in fact the only software that I use it's nanoloop on gb and gb advance sp).

piggy->midi doesn't work on psp, you'd be best off with a gp2x or a raspberry pi (or possibly the windows/mac version, not sure the current state of midi out on those versions though)...
biggest issue you may have with a qy10 is that it doesn't support midi cc fully, so you won't be able to change parameters during a song as easily with it (filter sweeps, etc) as you could with piggy... but the qy10 should work well enough for you to get the idea if you like working with the sammichsid & programming it

e.s.c. wrote:

you'd be best off with a gp2x or a raspberry pi

What's raspberry pi?
It seems cheap, how does it works?

West Yorks, UK

i  also suggest pigi to midi + lgpt as a good solution. howver i too am looking at a qy10/20/22 as my gpx f200 screen wont stop clicking whilst im using it. does lgpt really need to be loaded from an autorun.gpe to avoid this when sending midi out of the serial port?

Unsubscribe
GenSek wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

you'd be best off with a gp2x or a raspberry pi

What's raspberry pi?

Its basically a tiny linux computer. You need the following to run it on pi:

rasp pi
sd card
keyboard or joypad
usb midi interface
usb sound card

You can also get a 1st gen notebook for about the price of the above and have it autoboot into piggy on startup.

You dont need an auto run to stop the noise, but make sure you are doing the script to filter junk going out the serial port:

http://wiki.littlegptracker.com/doku.php?id=lgpt:midi

Abandoned on Fire
herr_prof wrote:
GenSek wrote:

What's raspberry pi?

Its basically a tiny linux computer. You need the following to run it on pi:

rasp pi
sd card
keyboard or joypad
usb midi interface
usb sound card

You can also get a 1st gen notebook for about the price of the above and have it autoboot into piggy on startup.

You dont need an auto run to stop the noise, but make sure you are doing the script to filter junk going out the serial port:

http://wiki.littlegptracker.com/doku.php?id=lgpt:midi

dontpostontheweekend

i don't get the don't post on the weekend joke but i always see people making it! i want in!

Unsubscribe

It's cool cause I'm not actually starting a flame war

ive got a qy10 ive had it since i was like 10 its kick ass

its got this drum sequencer bit which you can do your drum patterns on and chords and then you can arrange the patterns you made and put 4 tracks of arbitrary midi over the top (but the tracks are polyphonic so its not like chiptune). really cool id say go for it

sandneil wrote:

ive got a qy10 ive had it since i was like 10 its kick ass

its got this drum sequencer bit which you can do your drum patterns on and chords and then you can arrange the patterns you made and put 4 tracks of arbitrary midi over the top (but the tracks are polyphonic so its not like chiptune). really cool id say go for it

Thanks!
I'm hoping it will be not to difficult to use it, I heard that it is...

oh WHOOPS i have a qy-20 not a qy-10 sorry for the confusion

Czech Republic

Hello
I think QY10 is not enough.
i think you can only send notes on/off and one another midichange message thru touchpad (0-128 value)
I don't think it sends clock, but I didn't try song play
Maybee I'm wrong
bye

IL, US

it wouldnt need to send clock for a sammichSID, but it almost definitely does

Last edited by e.s.c. (Aug 26, 2013 3:15 pm)