matt's mind

i'm for sure doing a replacement package for the screws.  ditching the tri-wings probably.  i dont much care for them myself.  unless someone can talk me into them...  was going to just use Phillips head screws.

and, i'll bump the metal contacts up on the list wink   for sure.

Cleveland, OH

I recommend having them be tri-wing so it's easier to tell the difference in length. If you accidentally use a long screw for the LCD board you end up stretching the plastic on the front so it turns into a very noticeable little white dot. I did this by accident on my super rare teal boot leg shell. It made me sad sad
This is the only reason really. And I think the heads grab better and are easier to screw in but that's not a big deal really.

justinthursday wrote:

[...]
And I think the heads grab better and are easier to screw in but that's not a big deal really.

Double True that, i also think Tri-Wings are still nice little fellows.
And got my hands on two shells, will post some pictures when they arrive in Germany.

clovis CA
justinthursday wrote:

I recommend having them be tri-wing so it's easier to tell the difference in length. If you accidentally use a long screw for the LCD board you end up stretching the plastic on the front so it turns into a very noticeable little white dot. I did this by accident on my super rare teal boot leg shell. It made me sad sad
This is the only reason really. And I think the heads grab better and are easier to screw in but that's not a big deal really.

i did that exact same thing to my yellow pil. it took me about a year and a half to find it, modded the lcd, and bam, white bumps. tried shaving them, but still noticeable =/

matt's mind

from the newsletter

hey everybody!

two emails in one day, yikes...

happy to announce a collaborative project we've done with the great Thursday Customs is released!  we had some of these at blipfest to show off if you dropped by the table. 

RGBss is a kit for illuminating your start/select buttons on your game boy original console.  the kit allows you to have independent control over each color in the LED.  also, there is an onboard hook-up for the RGBbb backlight so you can control the backlight and illuminated buttons with the same mechanism!

ok, enough jibber-jabber, here's the link: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/rgbss

enjoy!  and keep chipping...

matt

thanks!

and now for some pics...

Philadelphia

Hot damn!

How do they mount?

matt's mind

double-sided tape, super glue, whatever you want.  they are only 0.6mm thick, and are super light weight.  don't need to secure them much beyond this, didn't bother to make stand-offs or anything like that.

Louisiana

Scratch everything I just said lol. These are awesome! Definitely will be buying 1 to play with and more if it works out how I'm hoping.

Last edited by Vex (Jun 13, 2012 1:10 am)

Cleveland, OH

They are RGB so you can make any color permanent!  No need for multiple kits!

Louisiana
justinthursday wrote:

They are RGB so you can make any color permanent!  No need for multiple kits!

Yea lol. I fixed my post after I went to the site and realized it came with a pad. Lol

Yeah but where do the go exactly? can you post a picture of instal?

matt's mind

in the picture of the circuit, "red green white blue" is for RGBbb hookup.  + is the regulated 5V.  - is GND. 

on the right side is the breakout for color control.  on the bottom is the common, marked *.  there are solder points for red green and blue above this.

you need to cut out two openings in the start/select barrier to let the light shine through.  you install it directly below the buttons.  the slants of the circuit fit perfectly, the LEDs are spaced out for this.

matt's mind

i'll have documentation up tomorrow.  calling it quits for the night.

Cleveland, OH

Here's an example of the kit. I have it hardwired to just red.

Sorry for the crap phone pics.

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Jun 13, 2012 2:05 am)

Louisiana

Basically you guys just made a custom board for what I do. I pull boards out of these cheap led flashing shudder shades we sell at my job once the batteries die they usually get discarded and I just take them home and cut them to fit. They light up really well. These light up far better it seems and solves the light coming through the cases it seems. I'll definitely get my hands on a few of these at some point but for now I guess I'll be sticking to my boards since they are free lol.