vancouver, canada

oh, so like a quick rundown is what you need then?

ON THE PREVIOUS EPISODE OF CHIP SOMETHING SOMETHING

- quite a few "big" shows that already happened or are pending: BRKfest, superbyte, toy company fest, ultrachip, eindbaas, square sounds
- seems like more of the chip community activity is moving more and more towards twitter/tumblr/facebook/eHarmony
- a couple of "mainstream" crossovers/exposure: anamanabananarama on jimmy fallon, disasterpeace getting more notoriety,
- chibi-tech's legendary drop
- the advent of webshows streamed from home.  the community of streamers seems to still be figuring out a format that works.
- a lot more artists seem to be doing more projects for indie games - hearing a lot more about soundtracks and stuff.
- quite a few artists that didn't release much in 2012 are coming out with new releases in 2013

GEOGRAPHIC REGIONS OF NOTE
- new york is in a holding pattern but keeping steady with pulsewave / io
- philly has been amping it up this year, trying to set up 8static festival and inviting talent from surrounding regions
- pacific northwest has tried to get some bigger shows going but hasn't been able to round up enough collective support for it yet, internal struggles i hear.  "regular" shows in seattle and portland have still been happening though on what seems like a bi-monthly or quarterly basis
- california is trying to get something consistent together but i hear the challenge is geography and being mega spaced out
- the mongolian scene is still as dead as ever

STUFF TO LOOK FORWARD TO
- the need is still apparent for a trusted somebody (or a group of people) to help curate / round up the goings-on in the chip scene
- there's no clear choice for an "ultimate chiptune site" yet (not even sure if there's a need though)
- more interest in piggy, FM, and combined-chip songs as tools and tech improve
- there is some groundwork development that might just lead towards some kind of web API for editing LSDJ tracks in the cloud

as far as answering your original topic question, i still totally like chiptune, just not the overly simplistic stuff that constitutes the "average" chiptune as perceived by the casually-listening public.  plenty of innovative stuff still being made these days.

STARDRAIN, CA

thanks dude! thatas exactly what i was looking for!! smile

STARDRAIN, CA

i did art for the einbaas show!!! big_smile

STARDRAIN, CA

haha you got california down to a T ahhaha

by the way, for all of you who follow my shit, im starting a new record label called thrash44. I;m gonna be curating a mini sub-label called :Chipthrash44 - for obvious reasons..

if you;d be down to release shit, hit me up soon or check out Http://thrash44.com
https://www.facebook.com/Thrash44

BOSTON

I FUCKING LOVE CHIPTUNE

STARDRAIN, CA
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

I FUCKING LOVE CHIPTUNE

NO ONE ASSKED U JAMEZ...
jk <333333 XOOXOOXOXoXOOXOXoXxoOxoOX

Holland

Wut?

England

yes.

its the same as it ever was.

Unsubscribe

Fuck

Nottingham, UK

((())) aanaaanaaanaaana.net :: paving a non-neutral erogenous zone for fish and chips ((()))

Madriz, Supain

sorr, WAT?

hardcore, Australia
Jellica wrote:

same as it ever was.

Before anyone asks, I found it here.

Holland

The only thought that comes to mind when reading this thread is 'Muricaaaaa'.

There is actually a pretty vibrant chipscene in Europe, both the 'scene' as most of the people on this forum know it, as well as a pretty alive tracker and demoscene.

UK
bryface wrote:

FM

Yamaha's 4-op series are the new punk.

it's definitely not as exciting as it used to be, seems to be a lot more gimmicky than it used to be

i actually hate "chipmusic" "chiptune" as a thing but i do listen to some chip artists

Brunswick, GA USA

At first I thought this was "I hate pasta" at the spaghetti convention again.

The cycling in of the young and the moving on or hiding of the old happens in every scene I've ever observed. If you like the changes, you stay and watch, if you have trouble integrating your scene with your changing life, it happens all the time and isn't a crime or anything.

Chipmusic is a long way from the condition where I first found it, and I have my own moments of doubt and thoughts that it will come back as some other aesthetic or style. In the end, people like what they like and do what they do, there's nothing more to it.