@ bit wish :: tehe i was going to correct you and fix the 18-11 (unless you didn't mean 18-21), except 11-18 is also accurate! a lot of sub-18 chip artists these days (such as yourself, and i first started getting into chip music @ 16, four years ago) though i don't know whether this is anything new or if there have always been younger people getting involved : 0

Last edited by defPREMIUM (Sep 6, 2013 4:50 pm)

Playboy Man-Baby
Kool Skull wrote:

by anyone i mean anyone.. i just dont knw. i have no idea. its weird, chip=win got no.1 bandcamp release, and so did chipzels new thing, thats all weird to me. chipthrash is really just chiptune.. who cares its all the same shit. i mean, chipthrash has taken its own little scene of people which im glad of, but its all melded into the same shit.

My way of handling this is the fact that my band (noise rock/punk/new wave/shoegaze) uses the game boy in our stuff, but we don't "advertize" it as some kind of gimmicky shit that makes us "that game boy band" or make everything in our songs super gameboy-centric. Having vocals definitely helps in this process. Most non-instrumental chiprock bands I listen to have genuinely become music I'll go out of the way to play on my iPod and stuff, and friends of mine like the music without knowing anything about chipmusic. I sort of almost feel like the instrumental...ness(?) is what's killing a lot of chipmusic. Without injecting the expressiveness of a human voice into the mix, you can only go so many places.

As for straight up chiptune, I've been experimenting a lot with making glitch/drill and bass in lsdj for the past few years, because it feels like a bit of an under-tapped style. I've found that it kind of attracts everybody, weirdly.

Also, chipthrash will never die, because it's fun, relatively easy to get into for even a semi-beginner in lsdj, and perpetually basement-show-ready.
Or it will, I dunno.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Sep 6, 2013 4:50 pm)

UK, Leicester

@bitwish there have always been young chip bros. Back when 8bc was up, there were a lot of 13 year olds iirc.

New Albany Indiana
Alpine wrote:

@bitwish there have always been young chip bros. Back when 8bc was up, there were a lot of 13 year olds iirc.

hmmmm

matt's mind

^ there was a bit of a competitive approach to being the youngest active on 8bc, it seemed. 

can't remember that one person in particular, seemed to be the youngest forever.  sold LSDJ stickers (printed on his inkjet)...  anyone remember?  from the UK

los angeles

hikey i was actually the youngest nigga on 8bc

Last edited by breakfastsquid (Sep 6, 2013 5:43 pm)

i was going to say it was prob squid lol

hi squid

Geneva, NY
Jellica wrote:

yes.

its the same as it ever was.

Also, Kool Skull: check yer damn PMs! Let's release that track on hexawe already!!!!

Lexington, KY

chiptunes have always sucked

Joliette, QC, Canada

Yes I love Ruffletunes ! That good old sinewave salty flavor !

Holland
BLEO wrote:
Jellica wrote:

yes.

its the same as it ever was.

Also, Kool Skull: check yer damn PMs! Let's release that track on hexawe already!!!!

No?

.FILTHadelphia

I keep hearing about people doing FM stuff but I'm not seeing it. I know a handful of people who do FM jawns but I don't think it's taking off like people think it is.

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

Nothing happened except Alex and I bossed shit but you knew that already ~somethingsneverchange~ xoxox

But yeah, Pause 'fell' and it's left a space that's being filled by multiple different labels, and from this angle, imo, the scene is more vibrant, dynamic and exciting than it has been in many years. Same with Blip's 'fall', Toy Company and BRK and SuperB and Eindbaas and 8Static Fest and SquareSounds have all stepped up hard and are all still making chip heard the world over.

Also Europe is owning it at the moment.

Last edited by AndrewKilpatrick (Sep 6, 2013 7:27 pm)

Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

Also, chipthrash will never die, because it's fun, relatively easy to get into for even a semi-beginner in lsdj, and perpetually basement-show-ready.
Or it will, I dunno.

Planet Zaxxon
Kool Skull wrote:

its like, newyork is dead, ..

HOW DARE YOU