Los Angeles, CA
arfink wrote:

These patterns are kinda addicting to make. That's all for tonight, I'll try something more different tomorrow.

ALL OF MY YES!  These designs are excellent.

Minneapolis
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

When you start doing this shit on request youll have to take my money.

I'll let you know. I'm going to do a few for Kitsch first, but after that I'm certainly open to doing plenty of custom work.

Madriz, Supain
arfink wrote:
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

When you start doing this shit on request youll have to take my money.

I'll let you know. I'm going to do a few for Kitsch first, but after that I'm certainly open to doing plenty of custom work.

Thats nice. I really want to get a "signature" dmg for live stuff and your gbc simply looked awesome.

Minneapolis

Well, it's a very good thing I got an extra case from Kitsch so I could figure out how this particular batch of plastic responds to the laser. It's apparently quite susceptible to blow-out. So I will be either modifying my designs or changing the engraving parameters for the next one. Overall though, it looks quite promising.

The front turned out amazing. Not exactly sure why this didn't blow-out like the backside, but it seems to be great.

Now, on the backside, things were not so good. This blemish is something called a blow-out, and indicates I have the beam set too hot. The top surface of the plastic is becoming too soft and liquid, and is being blown to the side by the air coming off the cut head. This is bad. Fortunately I asked Kitsch for an extra case, in case this happened. The next one will be adjusted properly and won't have this problem.

Overall though, I think it came out looking pretty good on the front, and it confirms my feelings about the engraving design itself.

UK, Leicester

dude, that's fuckin rad!

NC in the US of America

o.o

:|_______|
*smacks self*

O.O

:|______________)

Spider-man.

London

Looks quite nice. Give it a clear coat! Lets see how it looks like all shiny and glossy. smile

Washington, PA

Wow, those look fantastic. Great job!

matt's mind

the 'blow-out' really reminds me of this classic:

Minneapolis

True. Of course, making the plastic go blooey also messes up the inside a bit, and might alter the way the case fits. That's not cool.

Madriz, Supain
kitsch wrote:

the 'blow-out' really reminds me of this classic:

My thoughts exactly. I kinda even prefer the blow out look.

This guy is gonna make money on me, mark my words.

Minneapolis

Well, further testing indicates that the shiny spot on the back of the case where the label would go is perhaps the most susceptible to blowing out. I may just route around it with all my future designs to avoid issues. Working on a couple more cases, and I hope to have a couple more pics before too much longer.

New Albany Indiana

8======================>
OMG

Minneapolis

Oddly enough, the backs of the cases are finicky and a huge pita to engrave, but the fronts never seem to have any problems at all. I think it might be because of the backs having the depth changing all over the place, it makes it hard to predict. I'm getting close to satisfied with it, and so far it seems to be more under control now. Also, the white cases get an amazing golden tinge to them when engraved.

I have come to the conclusion that ABS just kinda does whatever the heck it wants when engraved. That's not all bad. wink

Anyways, more case work another day. I'm worn out, and the workshop smells bad. tongue

Florida

These are so amazing *-*

I want to see them decked out with mods and stuff

TX

These look completely rad. If you end up doing custom jobs for people, how much do you think you'll charge?