NC in the US of America

A stained-glass type of design might be cool. I LOVE the designs with the varying tones and stuff. Those are great. They look very legitimate. Especially that black one.

Minneapolis

I'm not totally solid on custom pricing just yet. The price on these is about 1/2 design time and 1/2 machine time. It would really depend on a lot of factors. But I'm thinking some place between $40 and $70, depending on how crazy you wanted to get.

Minneapolis

New design ideas: roses and thorns (and maybe skulls?) for the blue transparent DMG case, and IDK about the green one. Still pondering.

Arizona

Do this to the green one and I will love you forever.

Cleveland, OH
arfink wrote:

arfink wrote:

Wow. You are really onto something here. This is so awesome.

I have no idea how this works but is it possible to turn down the intensity of the laser? Seems like it's just engraving to deep and melting it too much.

Minneapolis

@Thursday yes, that is indeed the plan. This particular kind of plastic that Kitsch is using for his cases seems to be insanely heat sensitive, even compare to, say, regular Gameboy cases. The black is especially touchy. We'll see what the clear ones do, they're next...

Cleveland, OH

Theoretically clear ones should stand up a little bit better since clear plastics tend to be denser. I feel like this would be true with original clear cases but maybe not with kitsch since they're translucent and clearly a bit softer than the originals.

matt's mind

the original nintendo brand cases have a fire retardant in them, its what causes the yellowing over time.  bromine i think???

anyways, this could be part of the difference

UK, Leicester

yeah, bromine is what's used to make them flame retardant.

Also could it just be that the black one fares worse under heat because darker things absorb more heat anyway?

Arizona

I got bored. Do you accept design ideas like this? Is there a certain way they need to be done for the laser to read them? Also, blue should totally be cool ranch doritos.

Last edited by MostlyToast (Sep 21, 2013 3:01 am)

hiding under your bed
MostlyToast wrote:

Is there a certain way they need to be done for the laser to read them?

I'd assume you'd need to create the design as a vector file.

Minneapolis

Yeah, vectors. I use Inkscape, personally.

As for a Dew themed case, I'd be happy to, but not as my first green case. wink

Anyways, tomorrow I'll be able to test some on the clear cases, and I'm going to go as low as I possibly can with the power and still leave marks on the cases and see what I can do to avoid as much of the melting problem as humanly possible. I think with this plastic it may just wind up having a little bit of melt, which is fine.

On an side tangent: It's entirely possible that the bromine increases the plastic's resistance to heat. Seems logical.

Last edited by arfink (Sep 21, 2013 5:43 am)

Minneapolis

The green DMG shell turned out awful nice. Not even a hint of melting now. I likey. Only one case left, the blue one. I'm working on the design tonight.

matt's mind

its gonna be hard to let these guys go hmm

Minneapolis
kitsch wrote:

its gonna be hard to let these guys go hmm

On the plus side, I can always make more. wink

TX

That looks wonderful on the translucent case. This is a great idea.