Virginia, US

Hey Guys,

So in my "all-in-one" thread, I talked about my plans to develop a different chiptune instrument that will provide an alternative method of producing chiptune. Since then, I have completely committed to the project. It will be called the Square.

This is more or less a survey thread as I am just trying to get some input from you guys that will shape the project along the way. In a way, this is your guys' project and it belongs to the chiptuners.

The first questions will help me get a understanding of general preferences as music producers. Please feel free to give answers that you feel pertain to the chiptune community as well as answers that pertain to your personal preferences.

Do you enjoy live chiptune performances? If so, have you either attended or performed in the event? If you do not enjoy live performances, why?

ive never been to one. i think it would be loud and hurt my ears. and also ever since i was a child i have hated being around other people and interacting with other people, and whenever i spend time with other people, particularly strangers, say going to a night club or maybe some kind of social event, i am always left feeling regretful and inadequate and in recent times i have often felt urges to harm or kill myself after attending such events. so i feel that if i were to attend a live chiptune event it would be a negative experience for me and would make me feel worse rather than better

Virginia, US
sandneil wrote:

ive never been to one. i think it would be loud and hurt my ears. and also ever since i was a child i have hated being around other people and interacting with other people, and whenever i spend time with other people, particularly strangers, say going to a night club or maybe some kind of social event, i am always left feeling regretful and inadequate and in recent times i have often felt urges to harm or kill myself after attending such events. so i feel that if i were to attend a live chiptune event it would be a negative experience for me and would make me feel worse rather than better

As a sidenote, please allow me to sympathize with you as I can relate. For me, being alone makes me feel accompanied and being accompanied makes me feel alone. It's strange.

USA

I enjoy live performances very much. I've attended and performed. I actually try to write all my music to be played live. Then when I go to record all I have to do is try my best to capture the live performance.

I record quite a bit but I typically delete or choose not to release at least 90% of everything I make. When I do release something I typically release if for free and only ever expect to make money with live shows and giving lessons. And when I give lessons I typically don't charge for the first and sometimes second lesson and consolations/advice are also typically free.

I love to jam with other people. Like many of the other people on here I play many different instruments and I consider my artwork and music more as a lifestyle than a hobby. My main instrument is electric guitar and I play live at least once a week.

For chipmusic the things I use most are LSDJ, Nerdrix, Nanoloop, Onputer, and I really like to control 8-bit sounding intstuments and such on a computer with a midi piano, drum pads, and guitar hero guitars. I typically play LSDJ on DMGs but I also enjoy emulating it with BGB or using modified GBcolor systems. I also use a bunch of other stuff but I don't know if you want me to tell you too much information and get your thread all sidetracked.

(And as a sidenote to sandneil and anyone else reading this. I don't want to send you off the deep end or anything but you might never want to tell anyone "i have often felt urges to harm or kill myself" if you ever want engage in a serious romantic relationship or own a firearm. Saying that would also freak out anyone who cares about you. I mean I'm a little concerned and I don't even really know you. I would like to help you but I really don't know what to say. Maybe you should try going to a show and wear earplugs if the noise is too much for you. Try not to have any preconceived agendas or expectations because not all shows are good and not all people are fun to be around but sometimes the stars align under stage lights and you can experience something profound thats incredibly enjoyable. If you don't want to interact with people or dance at the show thats fine. And don't resort to drinking if your not having a good time at the show because from my experience that usually won't make things any more enjoyable. Stay safe, stay alive.)

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (May 31, 2014 2:34 am)

Earth

Hmm..  I think there are a lot of us (not me) who have been to chip shows and like them. If you are thinking about making something for live use, it's a good idea, provided it's a good tool.

Los Angeles, CA

I love live chip events!  I have gone to an played a LOT of them as well.  I usually run 2xlsdj, a bunch of synths, and vocals.

Now the part where I get uppity

SurfaceDragon wrote:

And as a sidenote to sandneil and anyone else reading this. I don't want to send you off the deep end or anything but you might never want to tell anyone "i have often felt urges to harm or kill myself" if you ever want engage in a serious romantic relationship or own a firearm.

You do realize this is incredibly condescending, right?  "Oh hey, you know that part of you that drives to the point that you feel you have no other choice but to end your own life?  Ignore that or no one will love you"

Everybody has dark feelings, to ignore them is denying yourself the ability to cope with them in productive ways, and if you are in a romantic relationship with someone who cannot handle the bad parts of you GET THE FUCK OUT.

That being said, no hard feelings to you in particular, SurfaceDragon, this is just a massive pet peeve of mine.

(Also, if any more discussion on this is to be had, let's do it in PM, cause this thread could be awesome and it would suck to have a mental wellness derail kill it)

UK, Leicester

I enjoy live performances of other genres of music face to face, I enjoy live chiptune webstreams. I haven't been to a face to face chiptune gig yet, but I have no reason to see why I would dislike it.

Unsubscribe

There are two basic aspects to a live performance
1) Amazing songs that feel powerful and present through a sound system.
2) An engaging energetic performer with loads of charisma or obvious talent that shines through their work.

You can skimp on one or overcompensate over the other but the whole of these two usually make or break any live performance. I think any successful product has to:

1. Sound amazing, or capture what sounds amazing about chipsounds
2. Inspires great artists to make great music
3. Has some sort of performance aspect that lends itself for promoting an engaging performance.

Things that look cool when people perform on them:
-Bashing a drum type thing like an ape
-Shredding a stick dynamically like its a huge musical penis at the audience
-fingering a little bowed box with sad tear inducing music

I would suggest you first capture the sounds you want the synth to produce, and then do lots of interface investigations to determine how you want your instrument to be played.

matt's mind
herr_prof wrote:

I would suggest you first capture the sounds you want the synth to produce, and then do lots of interface investigations to determine how you want your instrument to be played.

^ this

Abandoned on Fire

The handful of times I've been able to perform my chipstuff have been incredibly fun and exciting and have changed the way I go about writing music completely.

There's two kinds of playing chipmusic live:

1.  The way you play traditional instruments like a piano or guitar.  Examples would be keyboard overlays for the C64 or PixelH8's gameboy music carts.

2.  Ableton/LSDJ live sequencing where you are triggering pre-written sections of music but not playing every note.

And obviously combinations of the two.

Number 1 I'm not interested in at all.  I spent a long time in marching/concert band and garage bands and I'm done with it.  Number 2 is what I'm still learning (as opposed to press play and jump around like a dork) and is what would get my attention.  You could always accomplish that with outboard midi sequencing but I get the impression that you're looking to produce a stand-alone instrument so onboard sequencing would be a must.

Last edited by egr (May 31, 2014 5:41 pm)

Virginia, US

Good replies so far. Really appreciate this.

I definitely aim to make this oriented around live performances. We love to jam with others who share our musical interests and the audience loves to watch us. Chiptune like any other genre can give rise to pieces that can be as simple or complex as you want them to be. Obviously there are going to be times when we can't play every note. This being said, I think a sequencer is definitely a goal for this.

This one I may have already beaten to death.

Do you prefer the modular or integrated approach to music production? How well could you adapt if you had to switch?

Unsubscribe

99% of chiptune creation is a fixed architecture, but depending on what you may have in mind it could be desirable. Its probably better to be a master of one trade than try to be a jack of all of them.

Brunswick, GA USA
BitCruncher wrote:

Do you prefer the modular or integrated approach to music production? How well could you adapt if you had to switch?

My opinion on this is that the answer should be "both."

I didn't answer the first part because I didn't want to seem to sour the results; I have a Nintendo DS and some mp3 players I purposed for live playing, but I found that since my lifestyle doesn't really allow me to play out, it is much faster to make songs on the netbook.

I think something that can reach LSDJ playability whether you have something else along with it or not is important, but something you can easily plug something else into or can rearrange operations on is important as well. If I'm not being clear enough, consider the filter input and documented solder points on Korg Monotron, the patchcord section of Arturia Microbrute, or at the most extreme, the jacks on Korg MS-10/20. You could send and receive clock syncs and note inputs/outputs, and maybe some other things that won't be obvious until you've started building. Good luck.

Alabama

By trying to cater to so many things you will drown this project and overwhelm yourself. I am not saying you should make it open source, but it may be a good idea to make this thing expandable so that people can develop their own solutions to their own problems in their workflows.

Unsubscribe

Or make it expandable, but only focus on your own aspect, and leave it as a platform to explore for others.

hardcore, Australia

deleted

Last edited by godinpants (May 14, 2020 10:42 pm)