Minneapolis
neilbaldwin wrote:
arfink wrote:

If you moved away from MMC1 you could make this more compatible with real hardware and still get your 32kb of SRAM.

I'm all ears...

Hrm... pardon my freak out, but there are no NES cartridges besides Nobonunga's Ambition II which support 32kb SRAM. There are a few that support 16kb, but they are all MMC5, so not much better.

Darn, this is a problem.

WOW MAN!
SurfaceDragon wrote:

Neil, have you thought about making a version of pulsar that is not a tracker. I would love to see something similar to Nerdrix for the Game Boy where you can play scales with the A + the D-pad. Then you can have Start and Select change instrument/scale presets. What do you think?

Did you check out the "Live Play" mode in NTRQ?

WOW MAN!
arfink wrote:
neilbaldwin wrote:

I'm all ears...

Hrm... pardon my freak out, but there are no NES cartridges besides Nobonunga's Ambition II which support 32kb SRAM. There are a few that support 16kb, but they are all MMC5, so not much better.

Darn, this is a problem.

Yup, big problem.

I could, of course, release two versions of Pulsar, one that uses 8K SRAM, one that uses 32K.

The downside to that of course is that the amount of "objects" is greatly reduced in the (current) 8K version. Here's how the memory map is built for 8K;

TRACKS_PER_SONG        = $05
STEPS_PER_TRACK        = $40

NUMBER_OF_CHAINS        = $20
NUMBER_OF_PATTERNS        = $20
NUMBER_OF_INSTRUMENTS    = $20
NUMBER_OF_DRUMKITS        = $02
NUMBER_OF_ENVELOPES        = $20
NUMBER_OF_TABLES        = $10
NUMBER_OF_VIBRATOS        = $10
NUMBER_OF_DUTY_TABLES    = $10

STEPS_PER_CHAIN        = $10
BYTES_PER_CHAIN_STEP    = $02

STEPS_PER_PATTERN        = $10
BYTES_PER_PATTERN_STEP    = $04

STEPS_PER_INSTRUMENT    = $10
BYTES_PER_INSTRUMENT_STEP    = $01

STEPS_PER_DRUMKIT        = $0C
BYTES_PER_DRUMKIT_STEP    = $05

BYTES_PER_ENVELOPE        = $04

STEPS_PER_TABLE        = $10
BYTES_PER_TABLE_STEP    = $06

BYTES_PER_VIBRATO        = $04

STEPS_PER_DUTY_TABLE    = $10
BYTES_PER_DUTY_TABLE_STEP    = $02

Which uses just under $1900 of the $2000 bytes available.

rochester, ny

i just want to say i think that layout is sleek as fuck.

Minneapolis

Looks like the Repro-pak can support SXROM, which is nice. I can certainly see why you need 32kb of .SAV though. I'd say, go for it anyways. smile

USA

Neil, I just started using NTRQ and I love it. I wish there were more I could do to help you with you future developments. I am currently looking for a new job so I don't have much time during the day but I'm usually up all night. I also don't have much money due to my job situation. If there is anything I could do to help please let me know, OK.

Thank you so much.

WOW MAN!
SurfaceDragon wrote:

Neil, I just started using NTRQ and I love it. I wish there were more I could do to help you with you future developments. I am currently looking for a new job so I don't have much time during the day but I'm usually up all night. I also don't have much money due to my job situation. If there is anything I could do to help please let me know, OK.

Thank you so much.

That's very kind of you man. smile

I can't think of anything you could help with right now (apart from cloning myself so I can spend more time on Pulsar) but there will be a time I will need Beta testers again for Pulsar, it would be good if I can count on you for that.

USA

Anytime

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Aug 6, 2010 2:03 am)

WOW MAN!

Selecting areas of your Song/Chain/Pattern and copy-n-pasting is for pussies, right?

hmm

Unsubscribe

Only if it lacks clone options.

WOW MAN!
herr_prof wrote:

Only if it lacks clone options.

Noted.

Unsubscribe

I use clone more than anything.. helps quickly build up variations.

WOW MAN!
herr_prof wrote:

I use clone more than anything.. helps quickly build up variations.

Cloning is easy as there's nothing graphical to represent. Having the ability to mark sections of data is always a pain and makes drawing the screen a lot slower so at this stage I'm planning not to have it.

Unsubscribe

I guess having clone in lieu of a more fine tuned copyastah is a fair compromise.

WOW MAN!

Got it making noise tonight (playing song/chains/patterns/notes, chain/pattern cloning wink, ADSR working). I have to say, this thing is going to be the shit!

You lucky, lucky people.

smile

Milwaukee, WI

I'm incredibly excited!  I will be ordering a Powerpak or Powerpak Lite + CopyNES soon.  Is the final mapper layout SXROM then?  So excited!!!  NEIL IS THE MAN!