Westfield, NJ

Edit: please delete this thread.

I know this is still a mystery to most people, so I figured I'd share this video of my man QNS playing his latest song, so you can see how it's done.

Maybe one of these days I'll make a video of myself playing Bassfisher... it's not easy, to say the least.

Last edited by Decktonic (Aug 19, 2010 8:30 pm)

New York City
Decktonic wrote:

so you can see how it's done.

You can only see how he plays pattern after a pattern (hardly a daunting task for anyone who has DS-10), not how the actual music is created, so this thread's title is very misleading.

Philly, PA, USA

Interesting to see how he constructs a full song in relation to the patterns, but it would be more helpful if there was some kind of explanation, like, what's going on with LFO's and such, because there's definitely some stuff going on that seems to supersede the pattern selection.

Westfield, NJ
akira^8GB wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

so you can see how it's done.

You can only see how he plays pattern after a pattern (hardly a daunting task for anyone who has DS-10), not how the actual music is created, so this thread's title is very misleading.

Uh, I guess I overestimated you guys. The key to this demonstration is how he mutes different track parts even when he is repeating the same patterns, so that each pattern actually provides multiple different patterns within the song. It has nothing to do with the synthesis, which anyone can learn about by following the official tutorials on Youtube. The point of this is to demonstrate the use of pattern mode, to trigger patterns live and mute individual tracks, rather than depending on song mode, which limits the total length of your song.

New York City
Decktonic wrote:

Uh, I guess I overestimated you guys.

You mean underestimated.
Pattern triggering and channel muting or solo'ing is HARDLY a daunting task for anyone with half a hint on live performance.

The point of this is to demonstrate the use of pattern mode, to trigger patterns live and mute individual tracks, rather than depending on song mode

Which anyone would use , as I said, if you have half a hint of idea for live performances.
This is hardly complex nor eye-opening.

Westfield, NJ
akira^8GB wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

Uh, I guess I overestimated you guys.

You mean underestimated.

No, overestimated, like you overestimate others. I've heard many people say that the sequencer is too limited, that they don't know how to make a song longer than 2 minutes, that they can't make anything on the DS10 that's not repetitive. Just because this post wasn't helpful for you, doesn't mean it won't be helpful for others.

On another note, is it possible to delete threads? Is there a mod or admin that can take care of this for me? I've learned my lesson and I won't make the mistake of posting any more threads for the sake of helping others. Back to circle-jerking and trolling I guess.

Chicago IL

but, if you overestimated us, you wouldn't be showing us tutorials on anything, right?

i don't really care about DS-10 i just wanna discuss language

Westfield, NJ
Saskrotch wrote:

but, if you overestimated us, you wouldn't be showing us tutorials on anything, right?

i don't really care about DS-10 i just wanna discuss language

No, I overestimated akira's ability to pay attention to the use of track muting in time with pattern changing. That was my original point. Anyone who thinks I underestimated would be assuming that everyone on chipmusic.org is a genius and doesn't need helpful tutorials or advice when it comes to making chipmusic. It's a great attitude... let's just make this site as elitist as possible.

Want a community that's open to everyone? Go to 8bc.

Want an elitist circle-jerk that will immediately shut you out because you are still learning? Chipmusic.org

Nice work.

Chicago IL

well you should also mention that 8bc is full of dumb children. that's the main trade off.

Westfield, NJ
Saskrotch wrote:

well you should also mention that 8bc is full of pokemon.

FTFY.

Chicago IL

actually if i'm gonna take this seriously:

akira made a pretty good point. this doesn't show you much except a guy touching things with a stylus. there's not much to learn from this. if the video had a dude showing you how to write tracks in DS-10 with this sort of live performance in mind, it would be another story.

and about this:

Want an elitist circle-jerk that will immediately shut you out because you are still learning? Chipmusic.org

you can't get butthurt about an entire community because akira doesn't find it mind-blowing. if you post anything expecting unconditional positivity, what's the point? isn't a bunch of people agreeing with each other closer to a circle jerk than an actual discussion?

astral cat

Chill bro, akira is honest and i find that refreshing. you wouldn't get honesty at 8bc, just "this is a cool song" or "interesting video" when in real life they are like "it's not that great" "this song is a piece of shit" "lol this dude thinks i'm dumb"

If you want people to tell you how great you are go to 8bc.org
If you want substance, interesting topics and people with experience then chipmusic.org

Tucson, AZ

Edit: saskrotch and an-cat-max already said pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Westfield, NJ

I just want this thread deleted.

Tucson, AZ
Decktonic wrote:

Why?  I never understand this type of request. 

You posted something that you found useful, and that you thought others would find useful.  Just because one person criticized it doesn't mean it should be wiped out of existence.

astral cat
Nullsleep wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

Why?  I never understand this type of request. 

You posted something that you found useful, and that you thought others would find useful.  Just because one person criticized it doesn't mean it should be wiped out of existence.

he's probably embarrassed..