San Francisco

PS blipfest tickets bought.

New York

AMIGA!!!!!!!!!

Cambridge UK

This will read as trolling to most, but as pretty much everything I write here, it isn't.
This is an honest to god question that bugs me.

I was streaming this http://ant1.bandcamp.com/album/gr8est-hits and couldn't help but think "this is brilliant. Why do the Blip curators ignore people like him and PDF Format? Is it because they think their crowd won't 'get it'? Is it because they don't get it? little-scale and goto80 do similar sounding stuff at times and have been invited to Blip, is it the way they present themselves that is the issue here?''

Go on, throw your rocks at me.

hardcore, Australia

ANT1 FEST

Bronx, NY

That's the thing...I don't think they're "ignoring" any one, and the fact that everyone perceives things that way is the problem.

There's only so many slots and so much time, so they make judgment calls when choosing who to invite each year. If they booked everyone they wanted to every year, the festival would last several weeks.

Cambridge UK

@DaPantz : though I get your point and tend to agree with it for the most part, this "they're getting ignored'' feeling is shared by a lot of fans. There is never a lot of music of that genre to satisfy that kind of chipmusic enthusiast at Blip, and the DMG à la New Yorkaise seem over-represented. Mind you, it is afterall in NYC, and that's probably what most people want anyway and I should therefore shut my fucking mouth now.

Ant1 not playing Blip is like Hendrix not playing Woodstock.

Brooklyn, NY, USA

My fantasy Blip Lineup, in no particular order:

• Danimal Cannon

• Cheap Dinosaurs

• Anamanaguchi

• Bit Shifter

• Maru

• Starscream

• Sabrepulse

• Shael Riley & The Double Ice Backfire (Shael uses a famitracker, so it counts as chip)

• George & Jonathan

• Chipocrite

• Je Deviens DJ en 3 Jours (Best Chip Name EVAR!!! Music's pretty good too)

• Dead Beat Blast

• AnimalStyle

• Disasterpeace

• Popstar

• Seanbad

Sorry if it's mostly those out of the NYC/Philly area, but those are most of what I'm exposed to, going to monthly Pulsewave shows and all.

Cambridge UK

Iron Curtain : you know most of the acts you've listed have already played Blip?

Bronx, NY
George wrote:

@DaPantz : though I get your point and tend to agree with it for the most part, this "they're getting ignored'' feeling is shared by a lot of fans.

I hear ya, but...well, I always try my best to avoid saying things like this or even feeling things like this, but I personally feel that shared feeling is just...

Wrong. So very wrong.

Blip Festival is not a lifetime achievement award, and the Blip Festival curators aren't arbiters of taste. The reason it seems that way is because people respect their opinions so much, and I'm one of those people, so that's justified in some way. But they're usually pretty explicit about the festival being what they think is the best fit for a lot of reasons, and it's not about satisfying everyone (an impossible task)...

Brooklyn, NY, USA
George wrote:

Iron Curtain : you know most of the acts you've listed have already played Blip?

So?

Cambridge UK

You're getting me wrong here, DaPantz : it's got NOTHING to do with the perceived glory. To me, Blip is like the IGF with no money nor deals to gain from it. Basically, all you can "get" from Blip is peer accolades. It has EVERYTHING to do with me, as a possible attendee, feeling left out and not seeing much that could be of interest to me in the current lineup. Last year there was little-scale and i, cactus.

Unsubscribe

Curating shows is equal parts getting people who deserve the slot, getting people that people want to see, getting people that people dont know they shoyld see and getting people that are feasiblly actually able to play.

There is a scene xls out there with over 500 artists that arent playing who are probaly as deserving to play as those that are. Suggesting the reason that they arent playing is by design rather than circumstance is a pretty simplistic view of the scene, and of the people organizing it.

Brooklyn, NY, USA
herr_prof wrote:

Curating shows is equal parts getting people who deserve the slot, getting people that people want to see, getting people that people dont know they shoyld see and getting people that are feasiblly actually able to play.

There is a scene xls out there with over 500 artists that arent playing who are probaly as deserving to play as those that are. Suggesting the reason that they arent playing is by design rather than circumstance is a pretty simplistic view of the scene, and of the people organizing it.

Are you addressing me, George or DaPantz? I'm just curious.

Last edited by Iron Curtain (Apr 4, 2011 2:51 am)

Cambridge UK

Q1 - Is this thread the ''official'' Blip thread?
A1 - No.

Q2 - Is this thread titled ''Fantasy Blip Festival 2011"?
A2 - Yes.

Q3 - Do we believe this thread exists mostly so the ''official'' Blip thread can be freed of people's opinions and views?
A3 - Yes.

Q4 - Will anything discussed in this thread ever change anything about anything?
A4 - Most likely no.

Cambridge UK

Also, freudian slip?
''(...) is a pretty simplistic view of the scene, and of the people organizing it.''

The problem might be that NYC wants to organize the scene.