4mat wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

I can't believe blaming the public transport. There are tons of massive parties in the UK! What the fuck does public transport have to do? No arts/music scene in the UK? Are you joking me? :S

If there's one thing that is blindingly obvious in the UK it's that nobody wants to go to a chipmusic event that is solely chipmusic.  The only way we can do it here is to latch onto other music events that are going on, and so far a lot of promoters and organizers don't really feel the need to have a chip presence at their events.  (either the scene was over years ago or they're just not interested)  Sure we could go play demoscene parties or the few gaming events hosted here but that's really just preaching to the converted and kind of pointless.

You mean...sell...out? wink

Brooklyn NY US

Incidentally I didn't mean to imply other places were slacking or anything like that. The point I was clumsily trying to make is just that the Blip Festival events are done for kicks, and not as a regional scene power grab.

Cambridge UK

Again : Herr_prof's unhappy choice of wording was way too good for me to ignore. Now, since I'm considered a troll no matter what I write (and yes, mostly by people from NYC. But since even people like 4mat are starting to get the same treatment, I feel less and less targeted) combined with the fact I'm no musician and therefore have nothing to gain nor to lose for speaking my mind I will say one thing : Bit Shifter, even though I (the main and only "antagonist" here) have stated more than once that this was a joke, you still feel the urge to justify yourself.
And THAT puzzles me.

Cambridge UK

(double post)

Last edited by George (Apr 4, 2011 5:01 pm)

New York City
4mat wrote:

If there's one thing that is blindingly obvious in the UK it's that nobody wants to go to a chipmusic event that is solely chipmusic. 
[...]
promoters and organizers don't really feel the need to have a chip presence at their events.

That really makes a lot of sense, unlike the other "reasons" posted before.

Back into the point, it is hard to pull something like this. People should understand the effort each one of these means and stop talking about "such and such doesn't play". It doesn't add up to anything.

In my opinion, I disagree that Blip is not some sort of recognition, it's an incredibly particular event and being part of it is a tremendous honor for every performer involved. It IS the finest event of this scene and as such, playing it is a recognition of your hard work that you are awarded. I also believe it's an example to follow and therefore not just anyone can be put to play in such a symbolic event, but only those representing what is out there the best. Blip managed to balance the stalwarts and the surprises in the right dose in almost each of its editions. The dancefloor-able and the experimental, the crowd pleasing and the downright risky, the new kids on the block and the legends that return for one last face melt, the ones in well known areas and those from mostly unknown lands. Fucking hard task to do.

Well that's that.

Brooklyn NY US

It wasn't initially clear that the NYC reference was a joke (I understand now), but that aspect aside, the ambiguity of whether the absence of an invitation implies intentional exclusion is an issue I'd been wanting to address anyway, because it's a point of confusion that's come up surrounding previous years' events. And I do understand where it comes from, and I thought it deserved to be addressed. So my first post was just an attempt to clear the air in that respect, and to explain the process and some of the unavoidable pitfalls that we encounter in trying to be comprehensive. My 2nd post was more in response to James / Kurt / etc.'s posts in which the conversation had turned toward peoples' feelings of why larger-scale events might not be feasible in their areas; I was mainly trying to clarify to them that I hadn't intended to imply that other areas needed to step it up or anything.

Cambridge UK

CDK : I'd like to know how public transportation in the United Kingdom affect Reading+Leeds, Glastonbury and Camden's scene?

And, personally, I'd move to England tomorrow morning, part of it is because of English culture, namely music. (And Doctor Who, of course! :3)

New York City
Bit Shifter wrote:

I hadn't intended to imply that other areas needed to step it up or anything.

But I do.
Step it up, punks! smile

Unsubscribe
Bit Shifter wrote:

Brazil
akira^8GB wrote:
Bit Shifter wrote:

I hadn't intended to imply that other areas needed to step it up or anything.

But I do.
Step it up, punks! smile

Yeah, we need to step up. But this kind of event takes years and to go to the next level is just hard working.
Also is nice how the thread deviated.

herr_prof wrote:
Bit Shifter wrote:

Lol

Liverpool, UK
George wrote:

CDK : I'd like to know how public transportation in the United Kingdom affect Reading+Leeds, Glastonbury and Camden's scene?

And, personally, I'd move to England tomorrow morning, part of it is because of English culture, namely music. (And Doctor Who, of course! :3)

There's a significant difference between an event similar to Blip Festival, and one where arena-selling acts are headlining a massive branded festival, aren't there? I'm not sure of the point you're getting at - of course mainstream music is going to be an easier sell than a chipmusic event!

You should move, you can organise chiptonez gigs with me tongue

Actually, the UK chipmusic scene was undoubtedly the best in the world at one point. There were regular parties at the Asylum featuring some of the first overseas appearances of legends such as Nullsleep, Bit Shifter, Eat Rabbit, Paza, Divag, Psilodump...I could go on. Lektrolab hosted a party at the ICA which was featured in the Times. Rephlex got involved - AFX came along to watch Bodenstandig 2000, not to mention their release of Maxi German Rave Blast Hits 3 and DJ appearances by Cylob. Malcolm Mclaren noticed and was inspired to release a 7''. Paul B. Davis, part of the team that made one of the most important chipmusic records of all time, moved here (and still lives here I think). Venues like Scala hosted other events.

To be honest, without wanting to encourage separatism, if the UK chipmusic scene stopped modelling itself on New York's, got back to basics, and started again it could be amazing. If Singapore has enough interest to organise a chipmusic festival (which isn't mentioned once on here - go figure!), I'll be damned if the UK scene hasn't.

(On another note, people don't even mention this phase of chipmusic anymore. Which is a shame, because Maxi German Rave Blast Hits 3 is about as good as it gets.)

Liverpool, UK
George wrote:

There's a significant difference between an event similar to Blip Festival, and one where arena-selling acts are headlining a massive branded festival, aren't there? I'm not sure of the point you're getting at - of course mainstream music is going to be an easier sell than a chipmusic event!

Unsubscribe
Stevens wrote:

Which is a shame, because Maxi German Rave Blast Hits 3 is about as good as it gets.)

+1

New York City
calmdownkidder wrote:
George wrote:

You still, haven't addressed how public transport has anything to do with this.