Bronx, NY
George wrote:

The problem might be that NYC wants to organize the scene.

My original point was that this is the exact opposite of what is happening, and you said you agreed. So yeah, this came from out of nowhere, and to be blunt, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Blip Festival is one of many chip music festivals that have existed or will exist. The other ones? Yeah, if you haven't noticed, they book a helluva lot of their locals, too. This is a good thing.

This festival here happens to be, arguably, the most successful one because of global support and careful planning. The idea that NYC wants to organize the chip scene just because they have this support is absolutely absurd and seems to be a projection of your aforementioned "omg ant1 isn't playing" sentiment. It's unfair to the global chipmusic community.

Brooklyn NY US

I did the math the other night, just out of my own curiosity. Since the first one in 2006, there've been 125 performing artists taking part in Blip events, inclusive of musicians and visualists. In my view that's both a big number, but also (obviously) only a small sliver of the community. The fact that it's taken us five years to log 125 acts, and that there are so many more incredible artists that we have yet to involve is a testament to the already staggering, and growing, number of massively talented people active in chipmusic.

For each event, we do our imperfect best to represent as many different styles, platforms, local scenes & communities, etc. as we can. We have never been, and will never be, 100% successful, simply because there's no way to distill a community of many hundreds of musicians & visualists down into a 3 day event. In addition to that, there are other influencing factors that affect the shape any given lineup takes. Availability, ability to make the trip; other commitments; visa, passport, and other travel logistics issues; and so on and so forth.

If we could do an annual event that was two weeks long with 8 sets a night, we might start closing the gap between the number of artists that we WANT to represent, and the number of artists we CAN represent. But at the moment, a 3-day event is about the maximum we're able to pull off without too much risk of disaster (blizzards notwithstanding).

Also Blip is just one event. I don't know why there aren't more of its scale, elsewhere in the world. There should be, and anyone with the interest and motivation to make it happen really should. The Blip team is basically three scatterbrained fuck-ups with a questionably functional practical relationship. If we can do it, other people definitely can.

Cambridge UK

Hey, I was just making a joke at Herr_Prof's expense here. So so so serious.
(Thought the post right above it made that clear.)

FlashHeart
Bit Shifter wrote:

The fact that it's taken us five years to log 125 acts, and that there are so many more incredible artists that we have yet to involve is a testament to the already staggering, and growing, number of massively talented people active in chipmusic...

Also Blip is just one event. I don't know why there aren't more of its scale, elsewhere in the world. There should be, and anyone with the interest and motivation to make it happen really should. The Blip team is basically three scatterbrained fuck-ups with a questionably functional practical relationship. If we can do it, other people definitely can.

HOME RUN

FlashHeart

PREACH ON

FlashHeart

Sorry, I got bored. Let's get back to Blip Fantasies:

Somehow, Goferboy and I get locked in a utility closet with no hope of getting out unless we make enough noise to be heard over the sound of A.M.U. There's only one thing to do...

Chicago IL

BLIP HATES MY FRIENDS

IL, US

george: ever thought that maybe you (like myself) don't like chipmusic much if you only find 2-3 artists on the bill you're excited to see? if so, best to accept it and go for the hanging out primarily (or skip if so inclined)

Unsubscribe
George wrote:

Also, freudian slip?
''(...) is a pretty simplistic view of the scene, and of the people organizing it.''

The problem might be that NYC wants to organize the scene.

Ok had my coffee and see what you mean. I guess we have been a little heavy handed, but how else to justify sending shock troops to pacify dangerous chip insurgencies in europe, japan, and the west coast?

Last edited by herr_prof (Apr 4, 2011 1:43 pm)

Unsubscribe
George wrote:

Hey, I was just making a joke at Herr_Prof's expense here. So so so serious.
(Thought the post right above it made that clear.)

Would you like a TCTD sticker?

Last edited by herr_prof (Apr 4, 2011 3:04 pm)

New York City

Mario at an NYC rave.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Apr 4, 2011 2:05 pm)

Liverpool, UK
Bit Shifter wrote:

Not to make excuses, but NYC is a massive city with a massive arts/music scene and an excellent (and mostly 24/7) public transportation system - this certainly helps a small scene such as chipmusic alive and thriving. In the UK when most Public transport ends before midnight, it certainly makes it harder to organise events on a larger scale. I do try though, believe me!

Plus we don't have an excellently run arts organisation with the financial clout and love of chipmusic to help us out (WINX etc)

Brazil
calmdownkidder wrote:
Bit Shifter wrote:

Not to make excuses, but NYC is a massive city with a massive arts/music scene and an excellent (and mostly 24/7) public transportation system - this certainly helps a small scene such as chipmusic alive and thriving. In the UK when most Public transport ends before midnight, it certainly makes it harder to organise events on a larger scale. I do try though, believe me!

Plus we don't have an excellently run arts organisation with the financial clout and love of chipmusic to help us out (WINX etc)

Change UK to Brasil and it's almost it. Also, to run something that big in Brasil we would have to go after sponsors.

New York City
calmdownkidder wrote:

I can't believe blaming the public transport. There are tons of massive parties in the UK! What the fuck does public transport have to do? No arts/music scene in the UK? Are you joking me? :S

Brooklyn, NY, USA
akira^8GB wrote:
calmdownkidder wrote:

I can't believe blaming the public transport. There are tons of massive parties in the UK! What the fuck does public transport have to do? No arts/music scene in the UK? Are you joking me? :S

I think he's trying to say that after the chip party's over (such as after midnight), you can go home any time in NYC. Anyplace else, not so much.

akira^8GB wrote:
calmdownkidder wrote:

If there's one thing that is blindingly obvious in the UK it's that nobody wants to go to a chipmusic event that is solely chipmusic.  The only way we can do it here is to latch onto other music events that are going on, and so far a lot of promoters and organizers don't really feel the need to have a chip presence at their events.  (either the scene was over years ago or they're just not interested)  Sure we could go play demoscene parties or the few gaming events hosted here but that's really just preaching to the converted and kind of pointless.