Brazil

This is really awesome. Good to know.

Cambridge UK

I just meant that the "deficient" public transportation and "lack of interest in culture'' in the United Kingdom felt a bit fallacious to me.

Of all the big cities I've visited, NYC was the only one with 24/7 subway service.
I found that in Montreal and Paris - with ZERO trains between 1am and 5:30am - people go out more than in NYC.
In Montreal (where bars close at 3am), people either go out more early (during the week) and get back home with the last trains, go to afterparties and take the first morning trains, pay for a cab, sleep at a friend's who lives close to the party district, etc...
In Paris (where the venues close around 6am) people drink at home until midnight and then go out and come back home with the first morning trains.

Montreal and Paris are both ''cultural" cities, but there isn't much of a chipscene in Paris, whereas we've been able to have lots of successful events in Montreal.

The answer has to be something else.

IL, US

Also Chicago has 24 hour transit and that's been of little help here, we rarely get more than 20-30 people at a gig

Unsubscribe

Not 24hr buses! Thats what i hated most about living in chicago.

IL, US

Some bus routes are now 24 hrs..like western

Unsubscribe

/me never moves back  ;0

Liverpool, UK
akira^8GB wrote:
calmdownkidder wrote:

You should move, you can organise chiptonez gigs with me tongue

You still, haven't addressed how public transport has anything to do with this.

As in the UK, a lot of people who come to the gigs may be younger than your average chip punter in elsewhere, so would likely rely on public transport to get to shows, and most shows end around 11:30-midnight, and night buses are fucking dodgy, so they might decide not to come rather than miss the final few acts, and getting from city to city in the UK is quite expensive, especially for a young person/student not earning that much, especially as the government have just scrapped a huge benefit system for students, and if people can't get home in a city they don't live in, they'd have to stay at a hostel for the night which also costs money - do you want a fucking novel? Or an excuse to bitch about the UK scene, be my guest.

Cambridge UK

Again, same problem in Montreal.
They even raised our tuition fees a month after they raised yours.
Besides, the province of Quebec is A LOT bigger than England, and has only about a tenth of the population.

You can write a fucking novel all you want, it won't change the fact that your analysis of the issue is flawed.

Brazil

You know what sucks? People not knowing about chipmusic at all, or not even caring about. That's the main thing, actually. They would go if they knew and liked.

It actually doesn't matter that there is buses until 12am if there is people interested genuinely in going to the events. My logic may be flawed, but increasing interest you call people to the events. I know there is a lot of events people don't show up at all, but there must be a link broken so the "scene" can become strong.

EDIT: that may be flawed to the extreme cause there are people doing this for more than 5 or 6 years and are still the same as it was or even worse than it was. Nevertheles, "publicity" it's something to pursue, something I know James is doing. And that's the issue people were discussing when I hopped in the chipscene 3 years ago.

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Apr 5, 2011 1:11 am)

Melbtown, Lolstralia

FIXED
not to be pedantic and annoying but these events are in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia not in Singapore

Interesting thread and good discussion in general... more large scale festivals!!!!

lolusa

Blaming shitty turn outs on public transportation; quite the blip festival fantasy we have here.
Does anyone else own a vehicle? or am I missing out on relying on a time schedule to get from point a to point b? Seriously though, blaming a bad turn out on the public transportation makes hardly any sense. If it is a GOOD show that people WANT to go to, bus routes and subways do not matter. You'll convince an ex to drive you around if nordloef is playing in a basement an hour away from home. The real problem is that most chip-themed shows suck for the audience. We congregate on stage, backstage, in the lobby, and outside. For us fucking nerds, it's a great experience that can not be explained to the general public. So if exclusion is your thing, keep it up.

While this wild tangent is swinging around, I'll just tell all promoters in this thread that all chip-themed shows are the hardest thing to sell. Get some local bands that actually draw a crowd. Then you have the opportunity to trick them into seeing your shitty gameboy stuff.

I'm just impressed Bit-Shifter even bothered with a response to George's speculation. It's not like we have the luxury to see the inner-workings of Coachella booking procedures.

New York City
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

You know what sucks? People not knowing about chipmusic at all, or not even caring about. That's the main thing, actually. They would go if they knew and liked.

If they just liked the MUSIC there wouldn't be a problem.
The problem is turning ghetto, as ovenrake says.

CT, USA

My FANTASY BLIP

Would open with a cage fight between ant1 + ancatmax vs. chipzel. The winner (im betting on ant1 and ancatmax although chipzel could have some deadly tricks up her sleeve) would play a set. Then lady gaga, Shakira, Avril and Rihanna would play

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

I can't believe I am weighing in on this one...

I feel like Blip was spawned with some hard work and some lucky breaks, by a few excited dudes who love chipmusic. Timing and location played a massive part in their success and there is no shame in that, it is just a reality.

I could never hope to gather a thousand people in a room here in Sydney to listen to even the world's best chip artists! We should be celebrating the fact that a few dudes can pull this thing off and that we can be there... We should not moaning about what they haven't done for us. They are doing the best job they possibly can. They're curating something. I'd suggest that they're trying to pick artists that span the scene that they believe will bring people to the shows and showcase what chipmusic is about.

I flew up in 09 because I was excited to see the event. I downloaded every release from everyone on that freaking bill. Now, with more hard work (and much better music) I was asked to play. I just wish everyone could be as excited to be there as I am! Don't take this awesome event for granted!

This year is probably the best line-up ever. FUCKING BEASTMODE! AMU! THE GOOCH! CTRIX! and on top of this, the NY lineup that the rest of the world (who fly to this event - we have a crew of bros coming up from Australia alone) have often not witnessed live before.

Sure there are more that deserve to be on the bill... but there are more people who deserve to be played on radio, playing regular shows and getting listened to by heaps of people. Sometimes there is only so much space.

Anyhow, I hope I can come out of this thread unscathed now that I have said something.

Connecticut USA

This is a gathering of friends. We are all friends here... right? Please!

Increase dA PeacE

Brunswick, GA USA
10k wrote:

We should be celebrating the fact that a few dudes can pull this thing off and that we can be there... ...Don't take this awesome event for granted!

Sure there are more that deserve to be on the bill... but there are more people who deserve to be played on radio, playing regular shows and getting listened to by heaps of people. Sometimes there is only so much space.

Some thoughts I have already shared on the subject elsewhere:

"Do you expect them to pass a DMG through the audience so everybody gets to play?"

"Nobody complains that they don't get a turn at Coachella."

"If apathy continues it will go away."

If a disgruntled reader hopes for the event to improve it must be supported, otherwise, we will have to hope for a rival event, and I can't think of a single person who can accomplish that anytime soon.