Chepachet, Rhode Island

I'll probably get all caught up tomorrow.  I'll shell out some tips on my blog (since I want to try to keep the comp/challenge/OST threads on topic)

I can't wait, I'm totally doing this week's.

Frostbyte wrote:

I do my wav kick so much different haha! Have you guys had any luck coming up with a good noise kick? I mangle that channel every way I can, but I just can't get anything deep enough

There is a great one in TV Death Squad's patch list lsdsng (http://tvdeathsquad.shiftwave.org/lsdj-template/) : )

› NKICK

Last edited by Octothorpe (Jun 24, 2011 3:53 am)

Madison, Alabama
Kommisar wrote:

It's WAV actually. It's the only channel I use for kick now haha. I have it set up like this:

pretty simple and I'm sure everyone does it this way hehu

Haha, that's not at all how I do my WAV kick! 

I'm using this lately:

Instrument is set to manual.  It starts off with a slower pitch slide to give it more of a thud on the attack.  I use at around C6.  I think it sounds pretty good, but since the volume of the kick is on the low side you have to keep all your other channels under 7 (like my lead is usually 68 or 58) or they overpower the kick.

Madison, Alabama
Frostbyte wrote:

I do my wav kick so much different haha! Have you guys had any luck coming up with a good noise kick? I mangle that channel every way I can, but I just can't get anything deep enough

I found a pretty good one in a youtube tutorial, of all places.  I'll have to see if I can re-find it...

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Pro tip:  Mess around with the waveform directly (select + up on the synth screen or some shit).  If you've never done it before, you'll thank me.

Madison, Alabama
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

Pro tip:  Mess around with the waveform directly (select + up on the synth screen or some shit).  If you've never done it before, you'll thank me.

I draw my own waveforms for bass pretty often, but I haven't tried it for kicks.  Hmmm...

I can never make anything good with my own waveforms, I'm not sure how that works exactly hahahaha.

roboctopus: I found the general technique in a youtube video, then I messed with it a bit to give it more punch...I'll post how I do it soon haha.

And thanks for those noise kicks, I'm gonna check them out right now!

Madison, Alabama
Frostbyte wrote:

I can never make anything good with my own waveforms, I'm not sure how that works exactly hahahaha.

roboctopus: I found the general technique in a youtube video, then I messed with it a bit to give it more punch...I'll post how I do it soon haha.

And thanks for those noise kicks, I'm gonna check them out right now!

My waveform drawing successes have been limited to drawing better saw waves (easy) and drawing out, frame by frame, a pulse-width modulated square wave (tedious but worth it for PWM!)

We should start a thread in tutorials to trade WAV channel tricks.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I'd be happy to post techniques by you guys on my blog (crediting each person of course) that arent something I already plan to write about.  Hit up my email [email protected].

What makes it worth it?

And 8br, I'll send you my dirty bass patch too along with my kick  wink

Chepachet, Rhode Island

PWM is amazing...you basically get a smooth Phaser effect in LSDJ.  It really stands out when compared to the normal technique of just switching around the duty cycle presets in a phrase.

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Jun 24, 2011 5:13 pm)

Madison, Alabama

Hey guys, I created an LSDJ Kick thread in the Nintendo Handhelds section so we don't muck up the Challenge thread. 

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/4526/ … ck-thread/

I'm going to make a separate one for WAV basses and leads.  It would be cool if everyone contributed.  Then 8-Bit-Rex can take the tastiest patches and compile them on his blog for LSDJ justice.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I would combine them into just one thread.  It would be easier to find and contribute to.

Madison, Alabama
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

I would combine them into just one thread.  It would be easier to find and contribute to.

Well, I was thinking if a bunch of people contributed to a kick drum thread, it could get pretty big by itself, and WAV basses and leads is a pretty broad topic.  Since the LSDJ patch book site died long ago, it would be cool if there were at least threads people could go to for patches.  You know, need a drum?  Go to the drum thread.  Need to know how to do a super saw-type bass?  Go to the bass thread.

But I'm just going to wait and see how the kick drum thread goes.  Everyone is nice here in the collaborations threads, but out there on the other boards... We'll see.  wink

Moncton, Canada

I think the bi-weekly comp sorta died sad