Sweeeeeeden

Yep, read all about it here:
http://blog.gg8.se/wordpress/2011/08/14 … di-and-me/

I imagine it would be nice to use it as a companion to trash80's LSDj version with MIDI out.

Even so, you can actually sync it to LSDj using the sync sync input on the back, using a special instrument that just creates a single pulse. Then you can pan that instrument to the left and the actual sound to the right, and connect the left channel to the sync input, and the right channel to e.g. an audio mixer. This requires a prosounded 'boy, however, otherwise the level isn't high enough to actually trigger the monotron.

Whitley Bay, England

Actually, I tried panning and it REALLY didn't like it, it just played a garbled mess. The only way I got it to sync with LSDJ is if I had one DMG playing ONLY the pulse. It was also really picky about what kind of pulse it would take - I ended up making clicks in the noise channel that it liked.

However, MIDI is way more exciting. Totally going to buy the components for adding MIDI IN tomorrow! Can't believe it's so simple to add. I'll give the modded LSDJ with MIDI OUT a shot with it too.

Just a bit sketchy about drilling a hole in the case - any tips?

BOSTON

i thought the post said "mind-controllable" and was totally pumped.

everything is a let down when you have an over-active imagination hmm

Matthew Joseph Payne

That's fine, an over-active imagination would probably make mind-control of audio hardware pretty difficult.

Unsubscribe

Well done nitro!

uhajdafdfdfa

awesome, cool!!!!!!!
seems great

TraceKaiser wrote:

Actually, I tried panning and it REALLY didn't like it, it just played a garbled mess. The only way I got it to sync with LSDJ is if I had one DMG playing ONLY the pulse.

were you splitting left and right to and only using the one with the pulse
or did you just plug a trs into the monotribe and hope for the best

i am using things like this at home for splitting stereo. also you will be able to process only parts of your lsdj songs with effects and leave the rest (and then mix it as mono) if you have a mixer and some effects

Whitley Bay, England

I set it up really simply, and yeah it was panned and split. I guess one of those adapters might help isolate it or something, idk. I think I was using 3.5mm - RCA, and RCA - 3.5mm for splitting it cause I had those adapters on hand hahah

Brooklon

Why don't you set LSDJ to Nanoloop sync and use the pulse clock from there? That way you're not wasting a whole channel and you don't need a special rom. I'm not sure what the ppqn of the Monotribe is but you can easily slow down the ppqn coming out of LSDJ. That's what I had been planning on doing once I got around to nabbing one.

You can also drive a 4017 sequencer or whatever using this same method. Like hurrrr vvvvvvv

That's why I was so excited by the Monotribe. Drum machine/synth sync without the need for other hardware smile

Last edited by Note! (Aug 15, 2011 11:36 pm)

Unsubscribe

Yea but special roms kick ass.

Sweeeeeeden

Note!: Special ROM is only for using MIDI, and then you're not wasting any channels. The method where you pan stuff is for a stock LSDj ROM and stock monotribe. Nano sync would work if you divide it down. Nano sync is 12 or 24 ppq, whereas monotribe expects only one pulse per step in its sequencer.

San Francisco

sweeeeet!

Whitley Bay, England

Yeah, but the method when you pan stuff didn't work for me. I've seen videos of a Japanese guy using LSDJ + Monotribe before, and he used a separate DMG to output the clock signal. So I dunno.

Anyway, I added MIDI to my Monotribe yesterday! Sort of.
See, my soldering iron is somewhat fucked. As in, the tip, instead of being like /\, is more like /V\, making soldering near-impossible... Haha
Anyway, the main problem I came across is that the Monotribe, unless assembled - at least in part - refuses to turn on. I think it needs to be grounded to the metal casing? I'm not too sure. But what this means is that it is nigh-on impossible to test something soldered to the top of the board, without mounting it! I got it working really quickly with my piano, but yeah. Gonna see if I can get the other end of the connector and just push the wires into that (we're already soldering onto the pins of the serial connector anyway), which would let me assemble it and test!

I'm fairly sure you need a certain kind of bit to drill through metal like this (and I don't have access to a drill press for the next 3 weeks until I'm back at school) so I can't mount the MIDI shit yet.

So yeah... Problems, but it does work! Which is pretty sweet big_smile

Matthew Joseph Payne
TraceKaiser wrote:

I'm fairly sure you need a certain kind of bit to drill through metal like this (and I don't have access to a drill press for the next 3 weeks until I'm back at school) so I can't mount the MIDI shit yet.

You can do it with a step bit! A little lube is helpful. smile

Sweeeeeeden

KT is right! Lube is the key. I recommend alcohol (ethanol) for aluminum. Keep it wet at all times.

Whitley Bay, England

Cheers for the tips! Definitely gonna leave it until I get back to school so I can use a drill press and a clamp though haha

Whitley Bay, England

Ok, I'm definitely gonna recommend that nobody does this.

After adding MIDI, removing it, and reassembling my Monotribe, it won't turn on properly.
If you hold the power switch, it operates fine. However, the power refuses to latch on - if you let go, it turns off.

I'm pretty fucking distraught because I saved up for this for so long and spent like all my savings on it. I've opened it up again and looked to see if anything is loose or whatever, but nope. Very occasionally, it does work. But not most of the time.
Anybody got any suggestions? hmm