yes. Hello Christmas present! Loving the price.

Sweeeeeeden
olivier wrote:

Yes. Allthough it's the same hardware, the MIDI-version will have a different sotware. It's not possible and I think also not allowed to have an USB device with multiple software versions that somehow switches between both.

Unfortunately, the MIDI-version is not yet finished.

Replying here because I want to avoid speaking about serious stuff in the other place, if I can.

If you get MIDI working, you might have it as a goal to use only MIDI. I.e. the backup process might happen through MIDI sysex. This would perhaps make it easier to make software for backing up for various platforms.

Interesting idea, to misuse MIDI as the generic simple data transfer protocol that USB is missing. I should have started with that, would probably have saved me a lot of work.

Los Angeles
oliver wrote:

I am still working on the MIDI version. My plan is to write a simple (USB-)MIDI-to-SPI parser and provide a modified version of pushpin (or mGB, don't know about this one) that simply receives the MIDI-bytes via SPI (instead of its crazy software-MIDI) and hence would work on all GB models. For now I'm stuck with the Microhip PIC USB MIDI example behaving strange, but I definitely want to release such a product. Those with a nanoloop one could then download the PushPin ROM and order the USB-MIDI-adaptor (which will cost the same as the normal USB-adaptor). Since shipping is free, there is no reason to wait for the MIDI-version.

If you want the mGB source, just email me [email protected]
It's mostly asm- everything other than the interface. The advantages of mGB over pushpin would be mGB works on DMG, and has a decent interface, though I'm sure you could do better... It was written in GBDK. It actually just receives standard midi from the link port using data in & clock.

Ordered my NL1.6 \o/

Great, then it should work out of the box. Only the save function would need to be rewritten.

Abandoned on Fire
oliver wrote:

Great, then it should work out of the box. Only the save function would need to be rewritten.

Woah, hang on a sec.  Are you guys saying that the sweet NL setup I've just ordered may soon also allow me to fully use mgb?  Am I reading that right?  yikes

EDIT:  As in without arduino la-dee-da business?

Last edited by egr (Dec 15, 2011 10:04 pm)

Sweeeeeeden
egr wrote:
oliver wrote:

Woah, hang on a sec.  Are you guys saying that the sweet NL setup I've just ordered may soon also allow me to fully use mgb?  Am I reading that right?  yikes

EDIT:  As in without arduino la-dee-da business?

The assertion is that mGB would run on an NL cartridge.
The MIDI part would still require an Arduino, or speculatively the NL MIDI adapter.

oliver wrote:

Interesting idea, to misuse MIDI as the generic simple data transfer protocol that USB is missing. I should have started with that, would probably have saved me a lot of work.

I wouldn't call it MISuse, as Sysex was made specifically for things like these. Also, you might want to include a mode that allows you to load code into RAM and execute it. That would allow for extra fun, and maybe even upgrades, assuming the ROM flash chip has /wr connected straight to the /wr of the GB bus. If you need any help, say asm code, I'm there.

Abandoned on Fire
nitro2k01 wrote:

The assertion is that mGB would run on an NL cartridge.
The MIDI part would still require an Arduino, or speculatively the NL MIDI adapter.

Ok, still very exciting that there could be a midi solution that affordable and "mass produced".

Philly, PA, USA

Just placed an order, I am very excited for this big_smile

Just sent an e-mail because of bank transfer *____*

nitro2k01 wrote:

I wouldn't call it MISuse, as Sysex was made specifically for things like these. Also, you might want to include a mode that allows you to load code into RAM and execute it. That would allow for extra fun, and maybe even upgrades, assuming the ROM flash chip has /wr connected straight to the /wr of the GB bus. If you need any help, say asm code, I'm there.

Thank you. Yes, I'll probably need some help when implementing the save functions. The flash is indeed connected to /WR directly. There is a PIC for bank switching, however, it does not work like an MBC but switches complete 32k banks which means that any code that changes banks and/or accesses the flash has to be in RAM, otherwise it would lock itself out. This makes things a little tricky compared to straightforward SRAM access.

The bootloader in the protected sector already can download code (that's how you'd get mGB in there in the first place and of course also updates): On startup, you press SELECT plus A or B to start the loader. It then waits for 32k of ROM data on the link port and writes them to the selected sector. Now when you start the Game Boy, you can start the ROM with A or B (start is reserved for nanoloop updates). Wether the data come from the regular USB-adaptor or the MIDI-version would not make any diference. This process is relatively slow though, it takes a few minutes to load a ROM.

Just placed an order. smile
Happy to hear about the short gate envelope (been wanting that), FM and free running lfo. Cool!

sweden

Anyone else having problems to pay with VISA? I got this when I tried to make an order:

The payment was declined (ipayment-FPS/FDS).
Declined by ipayment-FPS (FPS-PAM)

Went with paypal instead but I prefer to pay with credit card instead if possible, dont like paypal that much.

Tokyo, Japan

Im very interested in peoples impressions onces they get the software!

Anyone sent an order mail because of bank transfer? I get no response, and don't know how long it may take! If it takes a few days, I'm fine, i can wait. But if it shouldn't take some time, I'm affraid my mail didn't get through or something..

Ordered mine today.