Sydney, Australia

Anything you don't get in lsdj?
Ask away here. Someone will help you out.
We're friendly that way. big_smile

Anyway, I have a question.
Is it possible to change the BPM for different parts of a song? If not, any ideas on how to get around this?

England

use the T command?

Brooklyn NY US

A "T" command, placed at a position in the song where you want the tempo to change, will change the BPM.

Brooklyn NY US

Jellica is faster / stronger / harder / better

Abandoned on Fire

Help with the "L" command would be nice.  I can't seem to bend notes up in the wav channel, only down?

Also, I hate "prelisten" but it won't stay off!!!  Grrrrrr!!!  (edit: just emailed about this bug)

Last edited by egr (Jan 29, 2010 3:25 pm)

England

I have the same issue with the L command, it never seems to bend notes how I want - I find it easier to use the P command and play with the vib. type if i want a nice Portamento effect.

egr:

If you can't bend *up* then that sounds like a bug as well.

I've found only L01 to be useful musically, everything else is too fast and with a different vib type it just sounds...odd.

PDX

Question: When using an external MIDI keyboard/controller (via MC2), it seems that LSDJ will only allow audible responses to key inputs while the LSDJ sequencer it is running, and therefore key strikes are quantized in 16th note increments and sync'ed to the LSDJ clock (or whatever clock it is using). This means that if you simply want to use the DMG as a live instrument (using an external MIDI keyboard controller), you cannot avoid its quantization. I am assuming there is no other mode where you utilize the DMG chip without having the LSDJ sequencer running; is this correct?

Last edited by RushCoil (Jan 29, 2010 3:59 pm)

Plano, TX

I wouldn't mind some usage examples of the volume column in a table.

For example, using the volume column to build a slower or more controlled fade-in than the envelope settings can, I would put something like:

VOL
A1

But it creates "clicks" at each step, making the fade in effect useless for the most part (at least with the instrument using it isolated, the "clicks" are kind of hidden when everything in playing at once for the most part).

Is that just a bug/feature with LSDJ or is it a hardware limitation?

New York City

Your volume progression is not being smooth, so those are the "clicks" I believe.
Try using a table, too.

RushCoil wrote:

Question: When using an external MIDI keyboard/controller (via MC2), it seems that LSDJ will only allow audible responses to key inputs while the LSDJ sequencer it is running, and therefore key strikes are quantized in 16th note increments and sync'ed to the LSDJ clock (or whatever clock it is using). This means that if you simply want to use the DMG as a live instrument (using an external MIDI keyboard controller), you cannot avoid its quantization. I am assuming there is no other mode where you utilize the DMG chip without having the LSDJ sequencer running; is this correct?

The way around this is to set the groove as low as possible in that channel and if that's not accurate enough then raise the tempo as well.

One thing with volume fade-ins you could do is put 0F first and then after a gap put a sustain envelope of the appropriate volume, and repeat. So that it maybe goes:

0F
--
--
4F
--
--
--
--
CF
--
--

That's just a guesstimate but that kind of technique might be good.

Plano, TX
Jellica wrote:

I have the same issue with the L command, it never seems to bend notes how I want - I find it easier to use the P command and play with the vib. type if i want a nice Portamento effect.

L is one of my favorite commands.

One thing you have to note is that it bends the previous note to the new one.

A#6 ---
--- ---
--- ---
--- ---
C 6 L02

Bends the A# down to a C. But as aphasia noted, you're only going to get something usable with an 01 or 02 (experiment, naturally).

A cool effect is using an L with no note, this bends anything down to nil (or C 3, I'd assume).

A#6 ---
--- ---
--- ---
--- ---
--- L01

Or something like this, is a cool little sound.

Plano, TX
akira^8GB wrote:

Your volume progression is not being smooth, so those are the "clicks" I believe.
Try using a table, too.

That was a table example.

edit: Also note that the clicks are there if you increment by one instead of two as well, sorry for the bad example.

Last edited by PixyJunket (Jan 29, 2010 4:22 pm)

Plano, TX
aphasia wrote:

One thing with volume fade-ins you could do is put 0F first and then after a gap put a sustain envelope of the appropriate volume, and repeat. So that it maybe goes:

That's just a guesstimate but that kind of technique might be good.

I've done this a few times (actually, I did just this last night on something I was working on, heh) but it's pretty hard to nail exactly where to trigger the sustain, it takes a lot of experimenting to not get a noticable volume jump.. but it works well when you do hit upon it.

PDX

@aphasia thank you, I'll give that a try.