Tokyo, Japan

I have about 90 percent CPU use which seems high. what are your mix_buffer settings?

mix_buffer = 2048

Tokyo, Japan

Hmm, strange. Mine is also 2048

fwiw klystrack 1.6.0-1 stutters badly in debian no matter what buffer settings are used with an atom n270 netbook. runs fine on an athlon x2 2.2ghz, but at about 60-70% cpu usage.

heart this prod, lower cpu requirements would be awesome.

Last edited by menthes (Jun 30, 2014 8:50 pm)

Montreal, Canada
kometbomb wrote:

And hello to you also, n00bstar. I think I fixed that arpeggio thing, it might not be in the latest windows nightly. You can of course reset the arpeggio with 1000.

Erm..never noticed that before! I never use 10xx set arpegio notes since 00xx works just fine. But yeah, I can see why 10xx exists now smile thx!

kometbomb wrote:

Bxx works so that if you want to select a waveform you need to OR the bits for the waveforms, e.g. pulse would be B02 but pulse mixed with triangle (B04) would be 2 OR 4 = B06. If you just enter random Bxx values the description in the status bar will read something like (LP) which is LFSR (pokey) mixed with pulse or (NP) which is noise + pulse.

Works fine for the synth's waveforms of course, I've been using that extensively in my music since the first versions of klystrack I used. But what I meant was the wavetable *samples* actually. Like B20 and up doesn't seem to select anything even if there's data in the wavetable. It would be cool to have a command that allowed to select different waveforms from the samples. It could be another command that's not a bit thing? Maybe like W01 for the first sample in the wavetable, then W02 for the second one etc etc. It would make the synth into a wavetable synth and interesting morphs could be achieved with it.

Montreal, Canada

Also.. don't know why you guys are getting crazy CPU clogging like that. Klystrack *does* take a whole lot more CPU than it should but 60-70% on a 2ghz machine is just nuts. I think there's a problem with the version at this point.

Ah ok I didn't even remember 00xy works from the pattern! I'll add something to change the wavetable item in use.

I think after I added the FM the synth has been doing something much more expensive than should be (updating the modulator needed some changes in the common mixing etc. routines), it does use more CPU here as well but not to the point of stuttering.

I'm doing some code profiling and it seems the font routines still take most of the CPU. A question: what are the window dimensions you people are using?

netbook: 1024x600 @ 60hz
desktop: 1024x768 @ 75hz

i run klystrack in a maximized window most of the time.

Montreal, Canada

Netbook: 1024x600
Desktop: 1920x1200
Always in X2 pixels cause I like me pixels crunchy and fresh.

Riverside, CA

1024x600 as well

Tokyo, Japan

1440 x 900 x2 usually full screen

1024x600 x2 on debian mint. thanks!

edit: tried mix buffer 2048, 4096, 8192 to no avail

Last edited by mk (Jul 3, 2014 2:20 am)

And does the CPU use go down if you make the window as small as possible?

Tokyo, Japan

Yes! With the window at full screen, cpu usage is around 69 to 100. With the window as small as possible it is down to about 68 to 72.

Montreal, Canada

Yeah I'm pretty convinced it's the font routine too. If I switch between full screen pattern and the wave editor with a 4 channel song playing, I go from ~15% CPU down to ~5%. I'm guessing they're all sprites?