FlashHeart

I hear pretty much all of Mogadishu is a bit rough.

I live in like the safest place in the world. The Isle of Man is like a dream Island where only the elite oldies are what let it down. Guess that's the same in many places though.

I'm really worried for ever moving away, this place hasn't prepared me for whatever may come next.

detroit
George wrote:

Another friend told me that all of Detroit was the worst place in the world.

only parts. there are quite beautiful and friendly portions of the city.

Michigan
George wrote:

like every major city, certain parts are bad and others are good.

northern detroit is shit, especially up near hamtramck, a buddy of mine got carjacked there.

shout out to my homie justin (barbeque) for fighting the good fight in hazel park, that place scares me.

San Angelo, TX

LA is pretty sketchy

Tacoma, WA

The Baba-Amr neighborhood of Homs in Syria has been really bad... the Syrian government pretty much shelled it flat to crush the rebel fighters

defiantsystems wrote:

This is from 2011.
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/video/ … n-america/

As far as Philly goes though it's less about which section of town or neighborhood you live in but rather what block you live on. If you walk through South Philly this is especially true, some blocks are new condo construction the next block is rundown row homes. West Philly gets pretty rough past 40th St., North Philly has always been bad especially near Temple. I live in Northeast Philly (Fishtown) and while it's rundown there's definitely not much as far as crime goes, at least not what I've witnessed. I lived in Center City and the day I moved out one of the apartments in my buildings got robbed, I have friends in Old City who had a guy try and rob them in the middle of the day, and I witnessed a guy try and stab a dude outside of a bar on South St. I guess Philly is just rough all over, though I never feel unsafe.

Hahaha daaamn, a homicide every day for January 2012

matt's mind

places in the post-industrial world really shouldn't be on this list, its a real joke to see them here tbh.  they're a cakewalk compared to a lot of the world.  anywhere that starvation is an anomaly, there are no refugee camps, or you can probably go play a football game in a random field without risking your leg getting blown off is doing much better than the majority of this list.  not to even mention more horrible things.

unless this is about first-world neighborhoods.

brooklyn
likeluke wrote:

i've been in areas of baltimore that were pretty fucking terrifying, for sure.

THIS THIS THIS

kitsch wrote:

unless this is about first-world neighborhoods.

I'm assuming it is, because a bunch of dudes comparing third-world environments on an online forum is silly and kind of limited to "I hear this place is the worst," save for a select few of us who've travelled to those locales (definitely not me!). yikes

BOSTON

I had friend from Colombia, where every once in a while members of his family would be kidnapped and ransomed by guerillas. Kinda changed my opinion of the local hoods.

I lived in arguably the worst place in Boston, the Bromley-Heath housing projects, a place where suburbanites wake up in cold sweats from nightmares about, and had nothing but positive experiences really. Violence was generally just gang on gang, and the local community was very self-policing and everybody generally looked out for each other. Example: I woke up one morning to the sound of my neighbors (who I had never met) literally fighting off a tow truck operator from towing my car, saying "you're not getting any cars from this neighborhood you vultures". LOVE IT.

I an odd juxtaposition, one week after moving into my current upper-middle class Irish and italian "good neighborhood", my car was broken into and vandalized likely because of my pro-atheism bumper-sticker (which was ripped off and torn). Similarly, my neighbours constantly have somewhat violent fights and the paddy waggon is perpetually parked near the local pubs due to constant drunken brawling. Sure, self-selection bias on my part, but... weird huh?

hardcore, Australia
Je Mappelle wrote:

I live in like the safest place in the world. The Isle of Man is like a dream Island where only the elite oldies are what let it down. Guess that's the same in many places though.

I'm really worried for ever moving away, this place hasn't prepared me for whatever may come next.

You say it's safe because it's just the elite oldies.

But seriously look at Midsomer.
There's pretty consistent murders there.

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

I had friend from Colombia, where every once in a while members of his family would be kidnapped and ransomed by guerillas. Kinda changed my opinion of the local hoods.

True story: I was actually adopted from Bogotá and my parents (well, foster family) had to take ridiculous amounts of training and preparation to go down there in '87.

IL, US
Natty wrote:

I hear pretty much all of Mogadishu is a bit rough.

same with Juarez City
http://trendsupdates.com/escalating-num … ez-mexico/

Tokyo, Japan

I have heard locals say that Kabukucho and Okubo are dangerous...

Bay City, Michigan
George wrote:

Detroit isn't as bad as everyone says it is. Maybe i just haven't been to the dangerous parts, but i did drive past someone getting the shit beat out of them by a pack of hoodlums around 3:00 AM

Like previously stated, it's all about the area or block you are on. Detroit does however have an enormous amount of annoying bums, one of them tried to sell me hepatitis medication and claimed they were xanax, tricksters!

The infamous line "hey let me holla at you for a minute around the corner real quick"