Tacoma, WA

Hello all, I finally got my DMG, courtesy of JustinThursday (will upload pics), and have written some fun songs in LSDJ that I feel comfortable performing. I am gonna go up and play 3 songs (will upload soon) for my school's "Bandaid" (a sort of fundraiser event for community service) later tonight. I was just wondering if any of you remember your first live performance and what that was like. Have you any tips or suggestions that would really help me "wow" my audience?

(I will give you guys, and ladies, a postmortem of how it went afterwards)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

My tip: don't fuck up. smile

Lexington, KY
Auxcide wrote:

My tip: don't fuck up. smile

Actually, you'll probably fuck up eventually. The key is to not make a big deal of it. Just "lol" and move on.

If you wanna "wow" your audience, I swear on all that is holy, the BEST thing you can do is look like you're having a good time. Your audience will feel it if you look like you're feeling it.

São Paulo, Brazil

My tip: get drunk.

São Paulo, Brazil
Vellain wrote:

(will upload pics)

please don't.

Tacoma, WA
PULSELOOPER wrote:
Vellain wrote:

(will upload pics)

please don't.

how 'bout pics of the performance then...

São Paulo, Brazil
Vellain wrote:
PULSELOOPER wrote:

please don't.

how 'bout pics of the performance then...

yes, but only if you're drunk.

Utah

Best advice is to relax and have fun. People can tell if you're loose and confident and they jive off of it. Even if they don't, at least you had a good time.

Gosford, Australia

try and involve the audience in your performance somehow. if you've got a crew of enthusiastic friends get them to start clapping along and rock out down the front; people seem to enjoy music more when they're a part of it physically but they also need a bit of peer pressure because it can be embarrassing being the only person clapping and bopping around at a concert (i.e. being ME a lot of the time!)

and no matter what happens, just enjoy yourself.

South Jersey, USA

Either announce it onstage right before you play, or at least tell the people who approach you after, that what you were doing live onstage was hard work. This way they won't assume you were playing a videogame the whole time you were up there.

Tokyo, Japan

Lots of useful threads.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/5525/ … hip-music/
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/530/l … alsvideos/
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3412/live-performing/

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

Shit yourself

make sure you have pre written the mario theme tune, they will ask specifically for the mario theme tune

you dont want to disappoint ok

Rochester, NY

lol at this thread, as expected of cm.o

good luck OP I'm rooting for ya

also play freebird

Tokyo, Japan

This might sound facetious but it genuinely isnt. Not having your equipment fuck up or at least recovering from said fuck up fairly quickly will be a very positive thing. I would suggest a couple of things

1 - run through your set at least 3 or 4 times, get your timings and transitions nice and polished.

2 - take back up gear, make sure you have 1 more gb/lsdj cart than you need and if you can, just keep it running on a sPare channel so you can fade it up if one of your main units dies

.FILTHadelphia

Act as though it's the best song you've ever heard. There's too many people who stand there stiff as a board and bob their head. People will feed off your energy, too many times I've seen great songs get down played by a lack of performance or energy.