mintyadl wrote:

hey everyone smile I'm mint from australia. I'm more of a huge fan than a producer myself, although i did try once or twice (and i'll probably keep trying).

In fact, I'm really into design and VJ and demoscene, I make stuff like this and this. I get the impression there's some overlap between all these cultures and 8bit.
I spend a lot of my free time messing around with design, making these visualizations; I also started a channel just for fun, as it combines some of these interests. I like to put chip songs on there that appeal to me, particularly if they're kind of unusual (eg Within). To that end, I'm trying to get myself more involved in the community at the moment, so hello smile I'd like to meet you!

Ahoy matey! Welcome aboard. Seems like you have some nice art to bring to the table. I saw you posted some of Malmen's songs. He is very skilled with audio mixing and mastering. His music sounds professionally mixed.

I thought your attempts at OpenMPT were actually pretty good. I could see you becoming a skilled chipist. You can actually custom make simple wave forms using OpenMPT. Squares, Triangle waves, Sawtooth, etc. It is pretty popular for making chiptunes, and there are conversion modules which can convert the tracker file to actual game system data. Example, you can convert an OpenMPT file to a file that will play on an actual NES, or Sega Genesis, etc. But you have to follow certain guidelines and limitations to do it right.

It's a lot of fun, and there's a lot more options than just OpenMPT, which I think is one of the more challenging trackers to learn. But that's my opinion. To some people, it's second nature.

Good to meet ya, though!

Atlanta, GA
mintyadl wrote:

hey everyone smile I'm mint from australia. I'm more of a huge fan than a producer myself, although i did try once or twice (and i'll probably keep trying).

In fact, I'm really into design and VJ and demoscene, I make stuff like this and this. I get the impression there's some overlap between all these cultures and 8bit.
I spend a lot of my free time messing around with design, making these visualizations; I also started a channel just for fun, as it combines some of these interests. I like to put chip songs on there that appeal to me, particularly if they're kind of unusual (eg Within). To that end, I'm trying to get myself more involved in the community at the moment, so hello smile I'd like to meet you!

Welcome! We need more visual types around here!

UK

Hey im tearauth from the uk, recently into chiptune, ive been a band guitar/bass player for about 12 years and getting more into electronic music lately. I love the idea of modded / custom gear and a unique setup and sound

I usually go for a sort of cyberpunk style half-nostalgic and half sad style of music, so lots of ending happyish phrases with harmonic minor and turning happy/sad melodies. I am new to the gear im building up (Im currently using GBA/Midi, Goat tracker, LGPT and Sunvox). at the moment i just end up using sunvox to make samples to add into lgpt though. Im just doing some small covers at the moment to get into making stuff

heres a sample:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1rjXuDhKOsK

Hi, my name is Alex, I'm from Texas. I started DJing on vinyl turntables as a hobby when I was in high school. Chip music has always held a special place in my heart, and I've always been into amateur music production. I'm working on the soundtrack for a game that is currently under development, and I decided to start implementing chiptune elements to the tracks that I'm working on as a nostalgic nod to my own and many of our target audience's childhood. I'm currently avidly working on LSDJ, although it's fairly mind-boggling right now, I'm trying to decode it and get it to work right for me.

Hey guys, I'm Noyemi K.! I'm a freelancer normally but my passion is writing music for japanese home PCs.

My chip stuff is usually for Sharp X1, PC-8801 or PC-9801.

It all works on real hardware, too! I use MML and compile my music into playable little sound programs using KAJA's PMD compiler. I've also solved the longstanding problem westerners have creating ADPCM banks!

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
tearauth wrote:

Hey im tearauth from the uk, recently into chiptune, ive been a band guitar/bass player for about 12 years and getting more into electronic music lately. I love the idea of modded / custom gear and a unique setup and sound

I usually go for a sort of cyberpunk style half-nostalgic and half sad style of music, so lots of ending happyish phrases with harmonic minor and turning happy/sad melodies. I am new to the gear im building up (Im currently using GBA/Midi, Goat tracker, LGPT and Sunvox). at the moment i just end up using sunvox to make samples to add into lgpt though. Im just doing some small covers at the moment to get into making stuff

heres a sample:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1rjXuDhKOsK

Welcome and thanks for the sample!

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
FDFoxOnly wrote:

Hi, my name is Alex, I'm from Texas. I started DJing on vinyl turntables as a hobby when I was in high school. Chip music has always held a special place in my heart, and I've always been into amateur music production. I'm working on the soundtrack for a game that is currently under development, and I decided to start implementing chiptune elements to the tracks that I'm working on as a nostalgic nod to my own and many of our target audience's childhood. I'm currently avidly working on LSDJ, although it's fairly mind-boggling right now, I'm trying to decode it and get it to work right for me.

Welcome, and keep with the LSDJ, most people fall in love with it once they get over the learning curve!

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
NoyemiK wrote:

Hey guys, I'm Noyemi K.! I'm a freelancer normally but my passion is writing music for japanese home PCs.

My chip stuff is usually for Sharp X1, PC-8801 or PC-9801.

It all works on real hardware, too! I use MML and compile my music into playable little sound programs using KAJA's PMD compiler. I've also solved the longstanding problem westerners have creating ADPCM banks!

Welcome and thanks for sharing the video.  Your PC-98 song was rad!

Illinois

Hello! I'm Ricky. I've been fascinated by chiptunes for the past two years or so, but I just recently got a DMG and am making a personal commitment to write more (and hopefully better) chiptunes. I have some pseudo-FM-y simple stuff right here if you'd like to check it out:

https://soundcloud.com/cherry-oxide

I haven't focused terribly on using the whole gamut of sounds possible on the YM2612 or the Gameboy, but hey that's what a new year's resolution is for! I hope to make--and listen to--a lot more music than I have, and I hope to get acquainted with some of the people here who've inspired me to look at a gameboy as a musical instrument.

Atlanta, GA
Cherry Oxide wrote:

Hello! I'm Ricky. I've been fascinated by chiptunes for the past two years or so, but I just recently got a DMG and am making a personal commitment to write more (and hopefully better) chiptunes. I have some pseudo-FM-y simple stuff right here if you'd like to check it out:

https://soundcloud.com/cherry-oxide

I haven't focused terribly on using the whole gamut of sounds possible on the YM2612 or the Gameboy, but hey that's what a new year's resolution is for! I hope to make--and listen to--a lot more music than I have, and I hope to get acquainted with some of the people here who've inspired me to look at a gameboy as a musical instrument.

Yo! Welcome to CM.O. Followed you on Snoudclown

Hey there!

I've been registered for some time now, but never got to actually... being here, I suppose? I'd like to change that a bit though.
Anyway, I'm from Utrecht, the Netherlands, where I'm rounding up my mathematics bachelor at the university, hoping to then follow a masters programma in history/philosophy of science.

Soundcloud tells me one of my first uploaded tracks is 4 years old, so I think I've been messing around with them for about 5. First I was mostly just making separate tracks, just trying out new stuff each time. For about a year now I've been trying to make more coherent EP-like sets, of which I now have two:

https://soundcloud.com/sovereignwolf/se … ust-ghosts
https://soundcloud.com/sovereignwolf/se … ss-sun-and

I enjoy making very wistful and slow, story-like songs, and I'm looking forward to being exposed through all sorts of stuff on here!

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ el ass dee j

I haven't really said who I am yet

*WHOOPS*

I used to be Metatronaut, but I've been trying to change things up, and what was originally going to be a side project turned into my new alias.

So I'm old, and new tongue

Hi smile

I love chiptunes and hopefully will make some and post here.

This is my first track of this year:
https://soundcloud.com/catnose/catnose- … e-extended
And this is video version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkmZ7DiKUpY

I hope you will enjoy it.

Nyc

Hi Im Yamzies wanna be dj and Student

Mt. Sustenance, Meat Planet

Last edited by cyancoloneels (Oct 25, 2016 12:58 am)

Rome Italy

Hi, my name here is cheeppaleeppa, I didn't have many ideas about a nick name. I'm from Rome Italy and i can consider my self as a newbie into the chiptune world. I'm an Mc and I go by the name of DBEAR.
I started to rap 11yrs ago practicing the art of freestyle for ten years, actually I started to write 1 year ago releasing my first works. I love to listen Rap/jazz/funk/blues but I've grown up in a underground environment. Thanks to this I have many friendships and connections that influenced me, I really appreciate techno/tekno/dnb and other kinds of electronic music.I've always knew since I was in highschool that it's possible to make music from a chip and in this specific case using retro games. I want to start a parallel project for myself where principally i will play gameboys with lsdj to create something different from Rap music..I want to expand my creativity and my need of communicating.. I stil have to buy a gameboy and lsdj cartridge..just looking on the web in these days. I hope to find great artists and people tht will help and teach me