Tulsa, OK

I just picked up a gameboy pocket smile I think it is awesome

does  anybody else have one?
why do people prefer the original DMG?
Does anyone use it for Nanoloop or LSDJ?

tell me about the gameboy pocket life smile

It's harder to backlight that son of a bit.

San Diego

I might be able to answer these.

Jake Allison wrote:

I do, actually I have 2 backlit, 1 non-backlit and 1 junk one.

Jake Allison wrote:

There are a few reasons for this actually. For starters the DMG case is much larger which allows a lot more mods to be crammed into it(arduinoboy, 1/8 or 1/4" jacks, RCA jacks, etc etc) which gives it a bit more compatibility with different setups or gigs that one is at. Another reason is the actual sound processing and audio output of the DMG. I remember someone posting a thread about it and had all of the Gameboy units sound waves compared.

Jake Allison wrote:

I've seen quite a few people on here that use both on MGBs. smile

i think they are beautiful and come in a nice set of colours

Atlanta

I had a gameboy pocket before I got my DMG, but mine had issues with battery life and it was just a general piece of shit (although it was prosound modded lol) personally I like my DMG more because it's bulky, it feels like less of a toy and more of a legitimate synth....that I can also play megaman on. But seriously when I first got my pocket I was like "WHOA THIS IS TINY"

Tulsa, OK
Vile wrote:

I might be able to answer these.

Jake Allison wrote:

I do, actually I have 2 backlit, 1 non-backlit and 1 junk one.

Jake Allison wrote:

There are a few reasons for this actually. For starters the DMG case is much larger which allows a lot more mods to be crammed into it(arduinoboy, 1/8 or 1/4" jacks, RCA jacks, etc etc) which gives it a bit more compatibility with different setups or gigs that one is at. Another reason is the actual sound processing and audio output of the DMG. I remember someone posting a thread about it and had all of the Gameboy units sound waves compared.

Jake Allison wrote:

I've seen quite a few people on here that use both on MGBs. smile

Thank you for your comprehensive responce smile

I also love the way it looks smile it is a little sleeker and classier looking than the DMG (but nothing is wrong with the DMG!!)
I think that the pocket is a good one to start with - I bought mine for $20 USD. I do not plan on modding it for now, and the contrast control is cool smile

Finding NL one is hard tongue but I'll use it for games until I get my hands on it wink

What kind of cables will I need?

A little late to the party, but I'd like to weigh in. It's nice and compact, a DMG is hard to fit in your pocket. The screen is nice, sometimes DMGs are hard to read when backlit. I backlit, got a new set of buttons, and prosounded mine, but it's fine either way. I would recommend prosounding it though, it has a really nasty hum if you don't. Hope this helps.

Edit: and, AAA batteries are hard to find sometimes, but I use an adapter, you need one if you want to run LSDJ.

Last edited by don't rock the goat (Jun 4, 2012 5:33 am)

Boston, MA

i love my clear pocket, and i got a *white bleep bloop cart in a clear case which makes a sweet combo

Last edited by ultramega (Jun 4, 2012 5:43 am)

Easton, PA, USA

I've got 2 pockets. One with a camera constantly in it, and another for daylight tracking and games (backlit dmg is a little tough to read in the daylight.) I second the opinion that it is awesome due to it's pocket size.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I got a pair of pockets (of course), one clear and one metallic blue. They're my babies but I use my ags's for everything except recording. I haven't backlit them yet. I did prosound them though.

I own two Pockets - one clear with a white backlight and clear buttons, no prosound, for tracking in LSDJ or playing Pokemon during my day (I use my Bleep Bloop on it, my rechargeable batteries seem to like it better). My other Pocket is black, prosounded and RCA modded, and I always have it in my back pocket at a gig with a spare cart in case either of my DMG's were to somehow not work.

I have noticed that younger people tend to recognize the Gameboy Pocket and Color a lot better than the DMG, but it just may be some of the people I know xD

Utah

I, too, have two Pockets - one extreme green and one ANA skeleton blue, which is the sexiest combo imaginable, imo.

Pockets have been proven to sound different to DMGs, with what is generally regarded as a thinner sound. Read this article.

Tulsa, OK
Stevens wrote:

Pockets have been proven to sound different to DMGs, with what is generally regarded as a thinner sound. Read this article.

Great link! Thank you smile
Though it does not help me feel great about the pocket's sound tongue

Chicago IL

there was talk back in the day about how the pocket drains a cart's battery quicker, but that might've just been with the 32mb EMS carts.

also, i'm pretty sure the pocket has less processing power than a DMG. most of the tracks i write on DMGs end up slowing way down on a pocket, if not crashing.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Saskrotch wrote:

also, i'm pretty sure the pocket has less processing power than a DMG. most of the tracks i write on DMGs end up slowing way down on a pocket, if not crashing.

This. Only an advance or sp can play my songs. All of my dmgs and mgbs slow down and crash. When I release my .savs I wonder how people will react.

Last edited by Auxcide (Jun 5, 2012 3:02 am)