vancouver, canada

i just thought it'd be useful to have a thread where those visiting NYC for blip (such as myself) can "check in" and self-organize hangouts around town and ask dumb questions about NY, all without polluting the other threads.

i'm sitting at the airport waiting for my redeye flight, and with any luck i'll be landing at 7am on the wednesday.  after making my way to my hostel, getting my bearings and probably sleeping for another few hours, i'm ready to rock.

btw, anybody have any recommendations for getting a phone/data plan, or straight-up phone rentals?

vancouver, canada

also, those of you who are NY residents are fully authorized to point and laugh at everyone else in this thread, at any time, for whatever reason.

Brooklyn NY US

Not at all, I think this is a great idea. Sadly don't know much about temporary phone/data options. I'm sure temporary SIM card options must exist for GSM phones. And barring that I know of other visiting friends who've straight-up bought cheapo temporary cellphones at the Duane Reade drugstore chain. Might be worth sticking your head into any of the numerous T-Mobile / AT&T shops to see what options may exist.

vancouver, canada
Bit Shifter wrote:

Might be worth sticking your head into any of the numerous T-Mobile / AT&T shops to see what options may exist.

Yeah, that's pretty much plan A for me - just seeing if anybody had the inside scoop on more traveler-friendly solutions than the barely passable data roaming plans that my provider offers.

Bronx, NY
bryface wrote:

also, those of you who are NY residents are fully authorized to point and laugh at everyone else in this thread, at any time, for whatever reason.

Well I was GONNA til you said that! tongue

Just kidding. Some general tips I'd like to offer:

- Use HopStop.com to get around! SERIOUSLY. It's a godsend. For those who don't know, it's a website (and app) that allows you to input a "From" and "To" address, along with some other options, and it'll show you how to get there via public transportation. What's really nice is that it takes changes that you won't see reflected on maps into account, like construction and such.

- For those visiting from an area where tipping isn't customary, some general practices so you're in the know: $1 tip per beverage at bars; at diners and restaurants, 15% - 20% of the bill is considered standard. 15% is basic 20% is for great service, anything more than that is usually considered overtipping. Personally, I tip 18% if I can. This last one is debatable, but in my opinion, a really bad tip sends a more direct message than no tip at all.

- Don't be afraid to ask people for help getting around. Unless they work in a subway station or if it's their job to help you get around. In that case, be very afraid. Very very very afraid.

I have a lot more I could share, but it's 2:15AM and I'm tired.

One last thing is very important: I'd VERY STRONGLY SUGGEST is to take advantage of the people around you, your fellow Blip Festival attendees. This is the 6th NYC Blip Festival, and folks who attended any of the first 5 can tell you how ridiculously friendly and supportive a community we are even in person (it aint just Internet, folks!). It's normal to be shy, but I'm willing to bet that 98% of the people you meet will be willing to help you with anything you need within an hour of meeting you, whether it's advice, directions, suggestions, actually walking around with you, etc. So take advantage of the offers and don't be shy about getting the help you need from us.

Except for Bit Shifter. He turns into a dragon and bites people's heads off when you ask him questions. I seen't it happen like 5 times.***

*** This could not be further from the truth. He turns into a bear, not dragon.

Last edited by DaPantz (May 23, 2012 6:21 am)

IL, US

a drunk bear

i get in around 11 tonight, finishing up some errands this morning then to the airport...
expect to see me show up at barcade around midnight with three big bags of stuff and a need for a good beer and some quality rampage time

Westfield, NJ

if anyone is around the financial district (lower manhattan) we could totally meet up for lunch.

or dinner by the venue. who wants to meet up for dinner?

rochester, ny

i'll be there on friday!

Tokyo, Japan

Bearshifter

Montréal
DaPantz wrote:

- Use HopStop.com to get around! SERIOUSLY. It's a godsend. For those who don't know, it's a website (and app) that allows you to input a "From" and "To" address, along with some other options, and it'll show you how to get there via public transportation. What's really nice is that it takes changes that you won't see reflected on maps into account, like construction and such.

I use Embark NYC is a great app that let you plan your trip even without a signal. Only useful for MTA, though.

vancouver, canada

just arrived at my accommodations!  tired as hell but i can't sleep right away because apparently i can't check into my room until 2pm.

Bronx, NY
Zombipnok wrote:

I use Embark NYC is a great app that let you plan your trip even without a signal. Only useful for MTA, though.

Also great!

matt's mind

First time on Amtrak.  It's amazingly slow.....

Arriving tonight! 

I'm always up for grabbing food.  And where is this barcade?  In relation to the venue I guess.....

rochester, ny

getting there friday evening w/ nick maynard.
so stoked!
gotta do mad hangouts!

stoked to see yall ! friday nite town car from newark !
look for the apeshit hoodie and game boy backpack ! hear its hot n humid so i mite need to get a diff hoodie haha

rochester, ny
DaPantz wrote:

I'd VERY STRONGLY SUGGEST is to take advantage of the people around you

spoken like a true new yorker.