Gosford, Australia

http://www.soundcloud.com/midimachine/b … uliet-temp

so what i usually do is melodic pop-punk inspired chip unce, no exception here. 10 or 11 songs on an album, a little over 20 minutes long. not every song would be exactly like this but the overall tonality and feel of the album would be similar.

BASICALLY i'm paranoid that this entire song structure and tonality sounds boring or cliche (wav channel 2-octave saw lead in lieu of "lead singer") and i need you to be brutally honest with me. BRUTALLY. cheers!

Last edited by Victory Road (May 25, 2012 3:18 pm)

Chepachet, Rhode Island

The kicks really got on my nerves pretty quick. Other than that there's nothing glaringly terrible. Definitely not hyper melodic though...I don't know what you got that from.

Gosford, Australia

maybe we have very different understandings of "hypermelodic" then!
personally i love that high sweep, psytrance kinda kick sound but every time i use it there's at least one person who can't stand it - is it just the "DOCK DOCK DOCK" sound about it that annoys you or is it something else that i'm not thinking of?

also THANK YOU i need to hear this kind of thing

Last edited by Victory Road (May 25, 2012 2:13 pm)

Yeah, I'm all for the unce.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

It's mainly a repetition thing for me. I just feel like I'm getting beat in the face with it and would rather hear something more interesting.

Repetition is pretty tricky.  Sometimes it's not a problem like in good trance songs, but other times it slides into something really boring.

And hyper melodic to me is something like Kommisar's music. Unrelenting barrages of fast melodies. I mean...the word "hyper" is right in there.

Russia, Moscow

I think better arrangement and production value would help this. I hear some potential to be likeable for me (there is a melody), but it just does not sounds well, not up to an album quality. Tweak the instruments, maybe add echoes or harmonization, some EQ etc, and it could be nice. In my personal opinion, of course.

Detroit, MI

Good stuff, I kept waiting for a bridge or something to kick in though. A break with some minor chords would definitely help keep the song from getting to repetitive.

Gosford, Australia

hmm okay cool! i'm sticking to short format (nothing longer than 2:30) mainly to avoid repetition within each song but i see what people are saying with regards to the song itself feeling repetition - there are other tracks for this with a similar length that have more structural variation, so i might try and keep it like that.

something i noticed that i HAVEN'T done with this is a proper variation on the melody second verse. did this with the other songs and probably should do on this.

there is some basic post production on this and the others so far, just a subtle master EQ and compressor though - nothing drastic.

again CHEERS cause i need to hear this stuff

anyone have ideas for more interesting sounding kick drums?

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Kick would be fine to me, if it was lowered in volume just a little. It's at that volume where it's hijacking the song. Yeah do variation in the melody for it's return and this should be fine!

Anyone else hearing Christmas songs now? I think the last 4 bars of the melody are close to a song that I can't put my finger on.

Gosford, Australia

man i guess i probably just rushed this bastard out for cc, ultimately
no excuses though, leaving it up and dealing with the shame!
UMMM it probably sounds like a lot of things because the writing is naff as! actually it's probably not that generic or bad but YEAH

San Diego, CA

that kick reminds me of old school wizwars smile

WHERE DID THE TIMES GO

NC in the US of America

I like it. I'd listen to it, but with less "donk-donk-donk". It's just a tad over powering, and too high-Q sounding. A bridge breakdown would be nice, but it's not absolutely necessary. A verse variation would be great.

I really enjoyed the tune, and trying to pick apart the techniques you used to get all the sounds going. It made me think of how Ape Escape would be if it were an 8-bit anime.

Gosford, Australia

thanks man. other songs for this have breakdown kinda parts but then would you think it repetitive or annoying to have the same structural motif in every track? i dunno! maybe not.

the kick is gonna have to be revised it seems: it's significantly donkier than the kick drums in the other songs, which are also pretty high-q sorta sounds - gonna try to find a happy medium between my personal preference and what people actually enjoy listening to! smile

STARDRAIN, CA

dont ASK people if they'd listen to it, just release it. that's the best thing to do.

Gosford, Australia

okay well i'm gonna be honest here: the title was basically a ruse to get people to look at the thread and i'm really asking if people dig the overall tonality and if they'd bare 20+ minutes of it. but i totally appreciate your advice and the sentiment!

admittedly, i feel like i'm a bit of an online attention whore, and while i can understand the merit of sticking to your artistic guns i love hearing exactly what people think about what i'm doing and finding ways to compromise without really compromising. horses for courses!

NC in the US of America

You're right about all the songs having the same structure making the album itself repetitive. Didn't thought about that.

Auxcide wrote:

Kick would be fine to me, if it was lowered in volume just a little. It's at that volume where it's hijacking the song. Yeah do variation in the melody for it's return and this should be fine!

Anyone else hearing Christmas songs now? I think the last 4 bars of the melody are close to a song that I can't put my finger on.

"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"