Earth
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

"That's nice. When are you getting a real job?"

Hahaha. I liek that.

Frankly I try not to expose people IRL to chip music, unless they seem interested. My girlfriend is very proud of my music. =P

Last edited by breakphase (May 9, 2013 1:41 am)

South Jersey, USA

My father, brother and wife are supportive. I don't think my sister knows. My mother is embarrassingly supportive in that one of the last times I showed her my music was by showing her a YouTube of some European politician's campaign video that used my song as the soundtrack (creative commons) So now she seems to have assumed I'm a global success and at the dinner table she'll tell everyone we haven't seen in a while and try to make me tell them more about it. 'After dinner show them your videos' 'My son is on the Internet'
That's what I get for showing off to mom:/

Last edited by SJSFC (May 9, 2013 1:48 am)

washington

haha, my mom is the same way.

i played an open mic one night when she was there, and she's been passing around a video of me playing for months now.

orange county, CA
SketchMan3 wrote:

some of the guys like to hear the writing process in the car and give feedback as i'm moving along with the track. It's awesome.

That really is awesome.

Yeah it's rad. I travel alot for skateboarding so we're on the road for hours at a time, it gives us somehing to do too.

vancouver, canada

my dad is all total hardcore about Atari ST jamz being the only true chipmusic out there, released a bunch of tracks on micromusic.net before focusing more on visuals

my mom got bored of tracking in LSDJ after she played at blip fest 07, does mostly VGMMaker psytrance now

New Albany Indiana
bryface wrote:

my dad is all total hardcore about Atari ST jamz being the only true chipmusic out there, released a bunch of tracks on micromusic.net before focusing more on visuals

my mom got bored of tracking in LSDJ after she played at blip fest 07, does mostly VGMMaker psytrance now

WHO ARE YOUR PARENTS? 8BITWEAPON?

IL, US

no one from 8bw played blip that i remember (was trashed for most of 4-5 of the us ones)

Santa Cruz, California
Bit wish wrote:

WHO ARE YOUR PARENTS? 8BITWEAPON?

8BW is the first chip I ever heard/bought an album.
2004 Classic Gaming Expo in San Jose.
Shit was awesome!

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (May 10, 2013 1:12 am)

Mishawaka, IN

Everyone has a quizzical reaction to it and just nods. Honestly it's the best response my family could give. I don't need them to get or understand it it's mostly for me anyways. My mom will start to "dance" when I am starting a song out and it has a beat then I butcher it and you can tell she is a little confused why I would change it. My dad could care less, I can't wait till I show him the drone music I have been working on. He only likes 80s mettle hair bands. Few people even know I make music friends that know support it even tho it's weird. Other family think its neat.

Texas

My brothers make fun of it. When they hear me listen to it they're like "Is that some of that Henry Homosour music?" Even though it's not Henry Homesweet at all, that's just the only chip artist they ever cared to half way learn the name of. And sometimes they'll like purposefully call any electronic music I listen to chiptunes, and any chiptune music dubstep, just to annoy me. And my mom's just like "Me and your aunt used to dance to music like this in the gay bars we used to hit up when we were younger."

washington
amburgerzorro wrote:

My brothers make fun of it. When they hear me listen to it they're like "Is that some of that Henry Homosour music?" Even though it's not Henry Homesweet at all, that's just the only chip artist they ever cared to half way learn the name of. And sometimes they'll like purposefully call any electronic music I listen to chiptunes, and any chiptune music dubstep, just to annoy me. And my mom's just like "Me and your aunt used to dance to music like this in the gay bars we used to hit up when we were younger."

#texaslyfe

I get a lot of similar condescending comments from people in Alabama. My dad "gets" it, but he hates that I don't incorporate my instrumental works with chip to make it more palettable to him. My extended family doesn't really like it either. My girlfriend loves it, and my friends appreciate it. It's not so bad. The real issue is trying to play live in freaking Alabama. No appreciation for electronic music at all.

Douglas, Wyoming
thebitman wrote:

I get a lot of similar condescending comments from people in Alabama. My dad "gets" it, but he hates that I don't incorporate my instrumental works with chip to make it more palettable to him. My extended family doesn't really like it either. My girlfriend loves it, and my friends appreciate it. It's not so bad. The real issue is trying to play live in freaking Alabama. No appreciation for electronic music at all.

I wouldn't mind hearing a song from you with some live instrumentals

Bronx, NY

What do the people around me think of chip?  hmmmm...well...my sister and friend like some of it and appreciate that I like it (they even came to blipfest 2012 with me) but it's not their thing.  I at least thank them for getting what I'm about.  my other, non-chip friends think its cool but don't get it quite as much as my sister or my friend andrew. 

my dad thinks its pretty cool.  he doesn't like the sound but he's fairly handy when it comes to electronics and I think as a more classically trained musician as well as a self taught electrician, he appreciates the ingenuity of the tech that goes into making what we do.

my mom doesn't understand the music but she loves my blogging for Chiptunes=WIN.  she's probably the only other person besides Dire Hit that's read all my articles. 

last but not least, there's everyone else I know that's not in chip.  most people don't get it, so I've found that describing chiptune as a form of DJing we do with modded videogame hardware makes the most sense to them.  and some people react a bit better to that than others.  Surprisingly enough, though, I found in trying to explain chip music to some people at my job that there are some people in the facility I work at that are also in the scene, sort of.  in particular, while he leans more towards traditional electronic vgm, Jose "the bronx rican" Felix of OCRemix works at the same hospital as me, and he has expressed interest in doing a project with us at ChipWIN when I asked him about it, so while nothing's set in stone yet, an OCRemix/ChiptunesWIN compilation is possible.