Sydney, NSW

Recently I had my first live show at a demoparty, and my parents came along (as did my mate and sister). They had no idea what to expect, as I never really show them my music.
After my set, my parents were stoked at the music (as well as my performance). They were buzzing on the way home constantly, talking about how cool the music was (not just mario-at-a-rave responses, either).

After trying to purchase and post some chip stuff across the world for the last few months, only to have my parents completely clock off my communication with postage (it's useless, I wish you'd get off that gameboy, uhruhghrhu), they suddenly realised how much it meant to me and are extremely supportive of my chiptune endeavours now - giving me cash to buy a cart or bit of gear, organising stuff with the promoters and organisers for gigs and acting as my manager, and even letting me fly down to Melbourne for the next Soundbytesby myself for "however long it's on for".

(also they asked if I wanted an expensive top-of-the-range computer of my choice to write music with to replace my broken netbook. I on't need it for chip, but it would be nice...)

What does your family and your close friends think of chip music and your involvement with it?

Nottingham, UK

"That's nice. When are you getting a real job?"

New York City

Mama will always love you.

Philadelphia

Just about everyone I know gives me the response "Why would you listen to this video game music if you're not playing the game?" or even the "it's all just blips and bloops!" I have a small group of friends who actually appreciate it, but it's a very very tiny amount (probably about 5 tops). My parents aren't aware of any of the music I make, but I'm pretty positive my mom would hate it. Doesn't stop me though.

England

my dad is a musician and has always played in bands and done lots of gigs and spent money on various instruments.

he introduced me to kraftwerk aphex twin etc and understands electronic music as an added bonus!

Last edited by Jellica (Jun 13, 2012 1:49 pm)

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

"How is Robot Pixel Boot going?"

My Igloo

Well, my parents are supportive to an extent but still seem concerned that I don't make any money doing it, which kinda sucks hmm
I have some friends that understand the whole concept and like the compositions etc, but they're not into VGM per se.

Last edited by PolarBirds (Jun 13, 2012 2:03 pm)

Rochester, NY

"So can you make money doing this?"

"You're not gonna make any money in music because of piracy"

etc

Christ if I wanted to make money I'd become a lawyer

Savannah, Georgia

i manage to sidestep the topic when my parents bring it up, but my brothers are pretty cool with it and my close friends are like 'dayuuuuumn, you made that with that two-pound fucking hamburger? do your hands hurt yet?'

My Igloo
ChipsChallengeBand wrote:

Christ if I wanted to make money I'd become a lawyer

My point exactly!

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I'm a closet chipper tongue
My parents don't know about how i make the music, cause I doubt they'd care, but they know i've been in bands and have been composing for a while. my dad was a dj, so he understands/admires all my gear. Everyone else I know loves that I do it. They think it's the coolest thing ever. Eventually I'll open myself up to do house parties and I'm sure they'll love that. Maybe even a release party or something.

shanghai

my dad has a picture of me playing a gig stuck on his desk at work. he's dead proud i got to play some big'ish gigs. he has my cd in his car too. i think he enjoys bragging to his mates about his 'musician son' haha, he used to give me shit for my unprofessional messy hair, but when he heard about the music and actually listened and saw me play shows he backs me up....my mum is all 'get your haircut you scruff you're nearly 30', and my dads 'leave im alone, he's a musician he's not supposed to have a short back and sides ahha'..........my mum, well she just likes the chilled stuff i make, stuff w piano.....she's so cool she even sent me a youtube link on facebook of her favourite sigur ros song : ) im so proud haha. my parents are awesome !

Last edited by Downstate (Jun 13, 2012 2:31 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I also get the whole 'musician hair' thing a lot. Especially when they find out I played keyboards and synths in bands.

Also, I'm jealous of everyone's cool parents. Adopt me plz. I'll be good. heart

mainz, grmny.
Auxcide wrote:

I also get the whole 'musician hair' thing a lot. Especially when they find out I played keyboards and synths in bands.

Also, I'm jealous of everyone's cool parents. Adopt me plz. I'll be good. heart

Was thinking the same thing. Except for the hair, I don't get it.

Gosford, Australia

family is more or less indifferent or ignorant
actually my mum, nan and uncle like to know what i'm doing from time to time, so there's that!
also my cat loves it

matt's mind

my mom is the most supportive person in all this i know, consistently.  and my brother!  who helped out at blip, and ended up so fascinated by the whole culture of it all he's taken up trying to learn some gameboy coding (assembler).  he's sending me chunks of commented assembler for music tech right now.  thats about as big a response from anyone i can think of...

my dad doesn't get the music, and i think only appreciated the effort of design when the new dmg case came out.  it was a big enough deal to get his attention.  for a minute or two at least tongue

i've been going through the transition of being unemployed w/ an internet hobby, to being employed via kitsch-bent and just giving up on looking for a job with benefits/security.  living in a blackhole of jobs and progress sort of forced that, seeing my parents adjust their 'expectations' towards me has been interesting.