Joliette, QC, Canada

They don't really like it but they support the thing I did !!!
My dad in proud that I played some shows in Mntreal and Toronto but I laugh everytime he is trying to describe my stuffs to other people
-My son is playing music
-Aww yeah what style ?
-hhmmm, well....he's like DJ Champion ! (ultra known wannabe DJ in Montreal lawl !)
My mom try to like it but she fuckin' hates soundchips stuffs !!! (absolutely getting on her nerves !)

ahh btw...
Before 2009 8BC thread style ! wink

Lexington, KY

My parents share the sentiment "at least it's better than that death metal you used to play."

BK

"What is it called? BLIP music?"
Actually they're just glad I'm doing something I love. They had some fun reactions to the footage from Pulsewave and Blip...I think they're hapy I'm having fun and still supporting myself via the dayjob.

Brunswick, GA USA

In a different incarnation of this thread...

My parents don't try to listen to my music anymore, the wedding was the most they heard of my music in years, or ever...

My wife doesn't like it when I experiment with funny noises, she prefers VSTs that already sound like "conventional" instruments. I look for a compromise of sorts, because that's the sound I prefer.

Somerville, MA

Most of my close friends are pretty supportive and come to a lot of my shows.  My dad is really into it and actually gets what chipmusic is, although he does seem to think if I don't make money doing it then it's "just a hobby".  I used to get the "it sounds like mario" thing a lot when I first started, but since I've been doing it for a while, most people seem to appreciate it for what it is now.

clovis CA

my mom cant really tollerate it, she thinks i just record a song from a game and then "copy it" into my gameboy. then i covered one of her favorite songs (wish you were here by pink floyd), and believed me finally.
within the first 3 or 4 months i found my first dmg on craigslist to mod. my dad took me to go get it, and the next day he gave me a MINT clearboy in the box. hella sexy. will never mod it. but anyways, with that clearboy i feel that hes supporting my hobby.
my friends just laugh at me to the point of me just putting it away and start skating with the rest of them. i need to find some more musically inclined friends...

Last edited by Alley Beach (Jun 13, 2012 7:23 pm)

Chicago

my mother has a Chiari Malformation ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold–Chiari_malformation ).
I tried playing her a song, but I gave her an instant headache D:
Other than my sister, I don't think anyone else has tried to listen to my music.
I live in Denver and all my other family lives in NYC and New Orleans, so yeah... we'll find out I guess lol

Riverside, CA

My mom showed up to one of my gigs one time, that was pretty cool.
Despite saying my Game Boy music "drives her up the wall" she still brags to everyone she meets and gives them my bandcamp page to listen to my stuff.
heart

My dad seems kind of indifferent to what I do.

Chicago IL

my dad wishes i was in a band again

My father, pre-exposure to Danimal Cannon:
"Why aren't you playing any gigs this week?"
"What, no parties to DJ?"
"Why are you in your room playing videogames all day?"
"Why can't you write more music for real instruments?"

My father now:
'This Danimal fella isn't bad."
"Why aren't you playing any gigs this week?"
"What, no parties to DJ?"
"Why are you in your room playing videogames all day?"
"Why can't you write more music for real instruments?"

>.<

washington
Auxcide wrote:

I also get the whole 'musician hair' thing a lot.

THIS. My mum just doesn't get it. And pretty much everyone else I meet. She also has no idea about my chip composing, but my brothers and close friends really dig it.

My dad has been described as an honourary chipmusic scener by those in the know - I can count the number of gigs of mine he's missed on one hand. I'm grateful to say the least!

babylon

hmm i guess my parents are pretty nonchalant about. i dont play out enough for it to be on theyre mind  i guess. now my three year old cant stand it. all he sees is gameboys he's not allowed to touch and it infuriates him. my girly doesnt let me play "my music" to our unborn kid but who knows he might dig it once he pops out. my stepson covers his ears. so i guess no one in my family really cares. oh well. this thread is fun though.

I really try to keep my mom in the dark about it. She knows I call myself shitbird, so she really doesn't want to know to much anyways. However, moms is the first person I call when I have something to boast about.  My dad doesn't really get anything that isnt metal from the 70s'. The last thing he's ever heard me make was on a Yamaha DJX back in 2000, and he said " You should probably quit because you suck"  Really inspired me (no sarcasm).  I actually met my girlfriend through shitbird back in the myspace era. I think she is secretly waiting for me to give up so I will finally settle down. The people I live with are married and straight laced, but I  honestly think they like keep me around and hearing stories about my crazy musical adventures. My cat really hates the sound of the noise channel, and wishes I would stick to piano... that pretty much sums it up.

Spokane, Washington

My whole family thinks it's a joke.

Gosford, Australia

haha i remember the moment it finally clicked for my mum that you have to actually program the songs into the tracker - i played my boys don't cry cover to her cause she loves the cure and she was like "wait, what? how did that get in there? that's pretty cool!"