Chicago IL
2PLAYER wrote:

It's a very lucrative career. I would quit whatever job you have now and immediately start writing chip music. Just think, it's like being a professional musician only you make video game music. People will practically throw money at you.

kkrusty actually played a show where some of our super fans literally threw money at him during his set. i wish i had been booked that night.

if you've seen some sabrepulse/kkrusty/my tracks in a DDR game it was probably those guys that programmed it

rochester, ny

this is such a weird question. some bands are successful and can make a lot of money, most bands aren't and make no money at all. there is no "average monthly income".

are you asking because you want to tell your parents so you can justify your choice to make chip music?

buffalo, NY

I make some money but definitely have another job.  I also get some money from producer/composing jobs

Lexington, KY
nickmaynard wrote:

this is such a weird question. some bands are successful and can make a lot of money, most bands aren't and make no money at all. there is no "average monthly income".

Also, in chipmusic or otherwise, some bands are extremely successful and still don't make a lot of money, if any!! One of my favorite bands in the world, giraffes?giraffes! doesn't make much at all! Certainly not enough to be counted as primary income! Probably not enough to be much of a supplementary income!

Another thing to consider, chipmusic has a bit of a 'share and share alike' tradition. Lots of people give their music away for free, even the most successful ones do this! Pico pico? Free. Information Chase? Free.

Gosford, Australia

make music for games/films if you want money for your work
until you get lucky or busy with it you'll still need a day job, though

Nashville, Tennessee

commercial licensing is where the money's at...

have a large catalogue that is diverse in its appeal and application, as well as a good licensing agent/PRO rep, and you will go far...

Last edited by smiletron (Jun 22, 2012 3:49 am)

What are you guys doing wrong? I made a good 10 grand this year.

Rhode Island
Saskrotch wrote:

kkrusty actually played a show where some of our super fans literally threw money at him during his set. i wish i had been booked that night.

This is awesome.

Every once and a while, a random person throws me a few dollars through BandCamp.

As you can see, with that kind of pay, Donald Trump clearly began as a chip musician.

montreal, qc
Solarbear wrote:

One of my favorite bands in the world, giraffes?giraffes! doesn't make much at all! Certainly not enough to be counted as primary income! Probably not enough to be much of a supplementary income!

giraffes? giraffes! are fucking amazing.

Philadelphia

I made maybe 30 bucks through bandcamp.

Robotcity, the year 20XX

I think we made around 2000 dollar last year. Our cocaine habit made it last for 8 days.

England

i get paid in meeting loverly people.

I get paid in loving meaty people.

Chicago

I get paid in loathing eating people.
bath salts help.

Paris, France

I get BEERS. MANY BEERS.