uhajdafdfdfa

i have no problem with the open compilations really . they seem like they could be fun for all involved

although i can appreciate that they will be less directed and focused than other compilations and without a curator you might get BAD PEOPLE on them (but sometimes curators pick BAD PEOPLE to be on their albums too  yikes )

England

bad music can be good.
i sometimes like music that i dont understand or like.
sometimes because it is funny sometimes because it is not funny.
just dont let people tell you what to do.
other people are mean.

Chicago IL, USA
e.s.c. wrote:

and some of those other comps you listed were also doing something sadly absent in most chip comps: they were organized behind closed doors and actually curated... the organizers chose who they wanted on it and asked if theyd submit a track... too many open call comps happen in this scene and are done with little to no quality control

well this makes sense to me, but I didn't really know many people who made chip because when i pitched the comp was when i first started being active on here, and not just lurking. I wasn't about to message a bunch of my favorite artists asking for a track because I was/am kind of a nobody, and I'm glad I didn't because some of the people I respected a lot turned out to be dicks. So far the submissions I've received for Beastie Boys comp are great though, and going off some of the other people's music I'm expecting some quality stuff. I just kind of view the open compilation calls as a way for people still finding their way in the chip scene to do something fun to at least spread their stuff a little more than just putting up singles on soundcloud and what not. Even if only 50 people grab a compilation, that might be 45 more than would grab someone's albums for all we know.

IL, US

with open comps, it's important to not just release every entry (unless is something like the hexawe compos).. the nanoloop2008 comp, i set a limit that the comp couldn't go longer than 80 minutes, and my goal was to try and show a diverse range of nanoloop's capabilities.. as a result i got maybe 10-12 more songs that didn't make the comp and sometimes it was just because i had a better example already of the same sort of sounds or song-type... but i feel like the willingness to just say no to the handful of songs you get that just don't fit can make a comp way better

Brunswick, GA USA

I expect the point of this project is similar to the rpg Progress Quest- that in the long run you can find someone who hates every single aspect of our music even among its own fans.

I don't think this was announced as an uncurated project and what I read in the complaints is, "music would be great if only people would stop making so much of it."

That doesn't mean we should like everything that comes out, of course; I recognize that I disagree with most "tastemakers."

Rochester, NY

SadPanda, don't listen to those guys

You're doing a great job, actually finishing a comp.  Tons of people start shit and never finish.

How many comps here aren't actually jokes?  The latest one *is* the Beasties comp.

How many other chip comps were there so far this year?  What, like 5~?  I don't think that's that many.

If anything, individual artists should stop releasing records amirite?  Clogging up the goddamn release forum

San Diego, CA

hey -- I'm sorry for being such a dick. I didn't mean to discourage you from doing this compilation. classic case of not reading any of the posts and impulsively throwing my opinion out there.

I still don't think that this compilation is a great idea, but that doesn't mean you can't prove me wrong if the comp actually comes out.

Rochester, NY

Naw man you're not a dick, just saying.

BUT I'm pretty sure this thread was a joke because some people actually feel that way: that there are "too many comps" when in reality there haven't been that many this year.

I'll be the first to admit I like to cry out "X Comp?" as a joke though~

Westfield, NJ

to be honest, I listen to comps a lot and I'm more likely to discover new artists through comps than through artist releases. most people who say they don't listen to comps really don't listen to much chipmusic anyway.

this advice is more to everyone than to the OP: if you are going to do a comp, do it right. people are going to put effort into their contributions, under the impression that you are actually going to deliver on your end. if you never end up releasing it, that's going to hurt your reputation, especially if you are a newbie. but more than that, some comps are plagued by not getting enough submissions, whether it's because a lot of artists drop out by the deadline, or because there was never enough interest to begin with. don't think that putting together a successful comp is easy, and don't do it just to promote yourself.

L0O3, C0rnw4//.
Victory Road wrote:

oh so basically i can just submit one of my normal songs

me to

n_n

NSW, Australia
SadPanda wrote:

some of the people I respected a lot turned out to be dicks.

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jul 10, 2012 3:04 am)

hiding under your bed

This is a brilliant idea and I'd love to contribute to it.
I'll throw something together to submit in a bit.

Boston, MA

dude, I am so in. let's do it.

Rochester, NY

no really I thought this was a joke guys

Chicago IL, USA

it is a joke, this comps not happening unless someone else wants to be in charge of it, cuz I certainly don't wanna be.

detroit

bump