Savannah, Georgia

i laid down an arpy track in LSDJ earlier and i was having issues with LSDJ lagging to the point where the song would literally fail to correctly play.

i'm pretty sure this is an issue with my DMG simply not having enough processing power to do the job, so are there any general tips/tricks for making songs in LSDJ use less resources (other than just getting a more powerful gameboy)?

Last edited by Aeros (Jul 26, 2012 11:17 pm)

Madison, Alabama

This happens to me every now and then.  All you can really do is reduce the complexity by either making the tables you're using simpler or by playing less channels during the part with slowdown (for instance, this song: http://roboctopus.bandcamp.com/track/th … -the-world has a SUPER sample heavy bridge and the DMG chugs badly through it, and that's with pretty minimal/simplistic pulse work).

My advice is to just look at what's going on during the slowdown and simplify things.  Or don't use all the channels during that part. 

Yeah.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Be careful with your Noise channel.

Any more than like 2 TSP commands and you'll most likely get dropped notes unless you've gotten lucky with property combinations or you just really know what you're doing.

I've also noticed slowdown sometimes when both pulse channels are playing the exact same note and waveform, but not often.

Unsubscribe

You can also try the song on a faster device, like a gameboy sp.

Savannah, Georgia
herr_prof wrote:

You can also try the song on a faster device, like a gameboy sp.

I wrote:

(other than just getting a more powerful gameboy)

--

8-Bit-Rex wrote:

Be careful with your Noise channel.

Any more than like 2 TSP commands and you'll most likely get dropped notes unless you've gotten lucky with property combinations or you just really know what you're doing.

I've also noticed slowdown sometimes when both pulse channels are playing the exact same note and waveform, but not often.

does that include S commands? my snares use like 5 of them

Last edited by Aeros (Jul 27, 2012 12:03 am)

Madison, Alabama

Yeah, I use two S commands on my usual snare and if things get too complex it misfires sometimes.  I've slimmed down to one S commands in crazier sections.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Yeah. Five S commands is going to be too much.

Mess around more. Many times you can get the same sound from just one or two S/TSP commands that you can from 10 of them.

Switching tables inside a table helps.

Austin, Texas

I have only had an issue with this once, and it was when I was trying to optimize an LSDSNG for keyboard live play.

I had the groove turned all the way down to 1/1, and whenever I activated a table, it would freeze LSDj. I turned it back up to 6/6 and that didn't happen again.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the problems are related at all, but I'm curious what the song would do it you changed the groove to, say, 8/8? I'm fuzzy on exactly how the Groove settings and altering the base number of "Ticks" affects a composition, or how one can use it to create wiggle room for things like this.

I've been going through some stuff posted on LSDSNG Swap over the last few days, and stumbled on a track by Chromix written with a 3/3 groove. Assuming 6/6 roughly equates to 4/4 time in standard western music theory, would writing a song with a 3/3 groove be like writing in cut time (2/4 time)?

Anyway, that's just some stuff I've been thinking about lately, and I'm not sure if it relates to the cause of the slowdown problem, but maybe if you play with it you'll find a workaround.

Gosford, Australia
Telerophon wrote:

Anyway, I'm not sure if the problems are related at all, but I'm curious what the song would do it you changed the groove to, say, 8/8? I'm fuzzy on exactly how the Groove settings and altering the base number of "Ticks" affects a composition, or how one can use it to create wiggle room for things like this.

I've been going through some stuff posted on LSDSNG Swap over the last few days, and stumbled on a track by Chromix written with a 3/3 groove. Assuming 6/6 roughly equates to 4/4 time in standard western music theory, would writing a song with a 3/3 groove be like writing in cut time (2/4 time)?

6/6 groove just means that ever first 16th-note step will run for 6 ticks, and every second step will run for 6 ticks. If you set the groove to 7/5 then your 8th notes will still run for the same amount of time, but your 16th notes will be swung. Writing in 3/3 effectively plays everything twice as fast.

In this case, changing the groove to 8/8 would make the song tempo slower, but every table would still be running at the same speed so there wouldn't be any real improvement in performance. Also, you can't do triplets (easily) if your song is based around an 8/8 groove.

Hah, I really wanna experiment with more complex grooves now (e.g. x/y/z)

Last edited by Victory Road (Jul 27, 2012 12:57 am)

NC in the US of America

Shoot. I'm going to have to be more careful with my S and TSP commands when I graduate from teh emulator. Some of my snare/kick tables have TSP's all the way down the board big_smile.

F8
F8
FD
F6
F8
F8
F8
F8
etc...

I suppose I could just Hop that last F8 so I don't need all the rest of them, though =S

Savannah, Georgia
SketchMan3 wrote:

Shoot. I'm going to have to be more careful with my S and TSP commands when I graduate from teh emulator. Some of my snare/kick tables have TSP's all the way down the board big_smile.

F8
F8
FD
F6
F8
F8
F8
F8
etc...

I suppose I could just Hop that last F8 so I don't need all the rest of them, though =S

oh shit a for or just a limited R command would be so useful

Chepachet, Rhode Island

SketchMan3, you're going to find your Noise channel sounds WAY different on an actual gameboy. To make up for it though you'll have way more possibilities with the Wav channel. WAY more.

And like I said...if you're patient when working with your Noise channel you can get things that sound just like using complicated tables with much fewer commands.

Use R commands in your noise table if you don't already (I forget if it only works in certain LSDJ versions...someone can correct me).
You can get stuff that ranges from really crisp to really weird without having to spam S and TSP commands.

NC in the US of America
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

SketchMan3, you're going to find your Noise channel sounds WAY different on an actual gameboy. To make up for it though you'll have way more possibilities with the Wav channel. WAY more.

And like I said...if you're patient when working with your Noise channel you can get things that sound just like using complicated tables with much fewer commands.

Use R commands in your noise table if you don't already (I forget if it only works in certain LSDJ versions...someone can correct me).
You can get stuff that ranges from really crisp to really weird without having to spam S and TSP commands.

Yeah. Hopefully I'll still be able to get my noise kicks to stay chunky on an actual Gamboy with some tweaking. But probably not... sad Well, I can always use either a Gameboy or an Emulator depending on my needs *shrug*.

Now... I'm just trying to figure out how an R command would help me, though. I only have those extra F8s at the end because I want my Noise instrument to stay at the F8 note instead of going back to 00 if I left it empty. Wouldn't a H05 (the first F8 after the F6) improve performance?

In hindsight, I realize I should have set the instrument's Shape to whatever note my "F8" transposes to, so I could nix the first two F8's, and then just put in the FD and F6. Live and learn.

Edit: This is a bit off-topic, but It'd be kind of cool if somebody could post up noise instrument settings along with soundclips recorded from a Gameboy for comparison between that and an Emulator.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 27, 2012 2:39 am)

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Another thing to remember is that radical changes in TSP are more likely to screw up.

I've used quick R commands followed by a K or a brand new table to get some good Noise bursts. I use a lot of table switches inside tables. If I want to switch back to the original note of something ill just put a table switch at 03, 06 etc and go from there.

You'll be able to get good Noise sounds from a gameboy without much more fuss, don't worry. In my experience an emulator tends to produce louder more industrial style sounds while a gameboy has more well rounded noise.

Once I switched to a gameboy I never went back, never even thought to go back and it's been three years. Sure an emulator definitely sounds different, but you really get the full potential of LSDJ from an actual gameboy. Trust me you're expectations of what its like to write using the gameboy will be fully realized. You'll be clumsy at first using the buttons though since you're used to the keyboard. You can be sure of that haha.

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Jul 27, 2012 2:49 am)

Are you running a newer version or an older one? I used to slow down the DMG with older versions of LSDJ, but I since I started using latest versions, I haven't yet.

SketchMan3 wrote:

F8
F8
FD
F6
F8
F8
F8
F8
etc...

actually this would be fine as it only uses 3 transposesese, F8 FD and F6. I don't think the 00 would be counted due to it starting on F8.