Tokyo, Japan

Yeah, I have a completely crystal clear idea of how I want it to sound. I just cant get it to a point where I am happy with it. I have ditched probably 20 tunes for it.

shanghai

i spent 2 years making farewell static. but in those 2 years i made probably 150 songs and tweaked and mastered the ones i deemed best fit for an album. then i mastered it (never master your own shit because you ll end up hating it). all in all about 2 years, maybe 2 and a half.
Too fucking long.
So this year i have made an 8 track ep im getting mastered right now.
whilst simultaneously working on a collab ep with a fellow producer thats almost finished too.
And now im finishing off a cassette release that will be released in winter.

definately agree with Zan zan about not over cooking your ideas. and also dont sit on tunes for 2 years, when it comes to the release i was almost bored shitless of them and they'd lost a sort of relevance to the stuff im making presently.

ive read that alot of my favourite records were made in like a month from start to finish. sometime you wait like 7 years for a record (ala airdrawndagger by sasha from years ago) and its an anticlimax haha

Detroit, Michigan
ant1 wrote:

a year for a 3 song ep IS too long smile sorry

Gosford, Australia

reading this thread makes me want to just release the half finished album i have as a fully finished ep

but naaaaaaaaaah

Detroit, Michigan

Quick question, how do you guys come up with melodies and bass lines? I find it hard to just work in a tracker and compose something.

snesei wrote:

Quick question, how do you guys come up with melodies and bass lines? I find it hard to just work in a tracker and compose something.

i myself just put in somthing random then tweak it untill i like it

Last edited by I'mHeadingForABombShelter (Aug 16, 2012 1:13 pm)

Holland
snesei wrote:

Most of the time start with just trying out notes for the bassline. Just put in simple drums if you need timing or something. If I'm happy with the bassline I just try out some chords. If that's all simple and clear, I just put the chords and bass really loud and whistle to it. When I found something I like, I write it down, and change the chords and bass to match the melody in a more harmonic way.

shanghai

make a bass with BOOM. and make a melody with BLIPS yo.

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
I'mHeadingForABombShelter wrote:
snesei wrote:

England

sometimes random can be fun, but i think you need some grounding in musical knowlege to go with it.

i usually just jam out on my keyboards or bass and play from there

Last edited by Jellica (Aug 16, 2012 1:25 pm)

AndrewKilpatrick wrote:

did i ask for your opinion?

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
AndrewKilpatrick wrote:

did i ask for your opinion?

whether you did or didn't is irrelevant

shanghai

i slap my cock on the keyboard. usually it plays back some gnarly math rock chord progressions. and that my friends is how you rock out with yo cock out innit.

also this "i myself just put in somthing random then tweak it untill i like it" is worthy of a facepalm whether you asked or not.

England

I keep my dick hanging out of my pants
So I can point out what I want

Lexington, KY

Less about dicks more about musaks!

I decided to pull it together and make an album about 3 months ago, and I'd say I'm about...20% done? That's just musically though... I don't really know how long the mixing and mastering will take, since I'll probably be sending it off to have that done for me by someone in the know.

Chicago IL, USA

I have a general idea of what would flow together and usually play the melodies out on my keyboard a bit before drawing them in or recording them, but after that some tweaking usually occurs. Maybe he means something like that, and I don't think that's so wrong. If he means genuinely just clicking random notes in and then tweaking that is a little strange, but who's to say it's a wrong way of making music? If you're gonna try and tell me you don't just fuck around on a keyboard and evolve some general fuckery into a melody, you are a liar, or don't have a keyboard, but you get the point.