IL, US

i'd be all for this scene shifting towards album releases vs single releases (or "albums" that are basically just a compilation of unrelated tracks), thats generally the stuff i prefer to listen to

Madison, Alabama
e.s.c. wrote:

i'd be all for this scene shifting towards album releases vs single releases (or "albums" that are basically just a compilation of unrelated tracks), thats generally the stuff i prefer to listen to

I really see a trend in that direction.  This year I've heard more releases I liked from people I'd barely heard of than amazing single tracks.  Of course, post-8bc I fully admit that I'm listening to less individual tracks.  big_smile

Holland
roboctopus wrote:
Auxcide wrote:

No one cares about singles nowadays anyways.

Yeah, I really feel like with the death of 8bc (and its loved/hated charts) there's less motivation within the chip community to release individual songs.  I know I've slowed down with individual song releases, and prolific composers like Jredd are holding back and compiling releases as well.  It's interesting, but I do kind of miss the quirky one-off tracks that showed up on 8bc.

Lol nonsense. As if the charts were any representation of the good tracks/single releases on 8bc. :'D

I just like putting out releases that have 6-8 songs people haven't heard so that they can actually listen to new different songs at the same time, instead of just 'one-song-releases' every two weeks or so.

Last edited by xylo (Aug 17, 2012 7:10 am)

NC in the US of America

I'm always checking the new songs feed at the top of the forums. It gets tiring, though.

Madison, Alabama
xylo wrote:

Lol nonsense. As if the charts were any representation of the good tracks/single releases on 8bc. :'D

Now now.  I didn't say the charts represented the best tracks.  I'm just saying that for a lot of people the goal of "making the chart" was a good incentive to release lots of singles on 8bc, and now that it's gone, I know a lot of people are holding back tracks for releases instead.

snesei wrote:

Quick question, how do you guys come up with melodies and bass lines? I find it hard to just work in a tracker and compose something.

I throw dices.

My best advice: don't look at others, because they are looking at others as well and maybe they are even looking at you.
Start looking at you and you only, start making what you want to make and stop thinking the guy next to you goes faster than you, because he could actually be lying and cheating, after all, you're not behind him to be sure he started one track from scratches.

NC in the US of America
kaneel wrote:
snesei wrote:

Quick question, how do you guys come up with melodies and bass lines? I find it hard to just work in a tracker and compose something.

I throw dices.

Sometimes music starts in the heart, not the tracker. Sometimes I have a concept in my head (happy, sad, icey, boss fight, etc) and try to put the feelings associated with that concept to music. Other times I'll hear a tune in my head, spontaneously hum a tune, spontaneously play a tune on an instrument, or be inspired by a tune and say "Hmmm... this is a cool song, but it'd also be cool if it did this instead of that..." and then jot that down into a music composing program.

Sometimes I do enter semi-random notes and progressions into the music program until I find something that I think sounds cool, though. =P

Westfield, NJ

I think the longest I spent was 6 months working on my latest album "Stars."

Brunswick, GA USA
snesei wrote:

There is a thread in 8BC's bit bucket where Sabrepulse said he jams melodies on a Yamaha Portasound. I recommend having many other instruments to play with and on, even if you don't record them, because your composing will take a different approach. Even harmonicas and ukuleles are okay, they don't have to be expensive.

For more thought, please ask a more broad version of the question on a new thread, it is an important subject.

Madison, Alabama
chunter wrote:
snesei wrote:

There is a thread in 8BC's bit bucket where Sabrepulse said he jams melodies on a Yamaha Portasound. I recommend having many other instruments to play with and on, even if you don't record them, because your composing will take a different approach. Even harmonicas and ukuleles are okay, they don't have to be expensive.

For more thought, please ask a more broad version of the question on a new thread, it is an important subject.

This is good advice.

I usually strum guitar chords and hum to find a chord progression and melody.

Or play my chord progression on piano and plink around on the keys to find a melody.

IL, US

i was just wriiting out note progressions for a track on my cs01 yesterday just because some of my gear isnt hooked up at the moment, very helpful

NC in the US of America
roboctopus wrote:
chunter wrote:

This is good advice.

I usually strum guitar chords and hum to find a chord progression and melody.

Or play my chord progression on piano and plink around on the keys to find a melody.

That's the good thing about having a portable device like a PSP or Gameboy or DS. If you find yourself humming a good tune while out and about, you can quickly jot it down. Or, if you have a phone, you can record the tune and track it out later. I do that all the time.

Ukulele, harmonica, or even a children's toy keyboard are great inexpensive tools for developing melodic ideas in a more organic and tactile way.

Edit: Oh, and ON TOPIC, it could help you to compose good ideas more quickly, thus leading to a shorter work-time on a release.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Aug 17, 2012 6:43 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

OffT:
(This topic is worthy of another thread)
I write everything either on piano, microkorg, Yamaha sh101, or omnichord. My composition style changes depending on which one I'm on. If I'm sitting down at my setup I do some drum rhythm and chords in lsdj and compose off of that.

On the go, I have lsdj on my phone and a piano app. Or I can record stuff with the mic.

OnT:
I'm going to try and really take my time with my next release. Sooo much to work with.

buffalo, NY

Going on 6 months with my project with Zef, but it's been hindered by touring, other bands, etc

4mat wrote:

2 days (Rips) to 2 months (Decades)

Did you honestly write "Rips" in two days? That's whack.