Sydney, NSW

Simply curious and trying to get some discussion started.

I've been working on this one project for almost 3 years now, and it's close to being finished. I've spent that time mastering, tweaking sounds, and reapplying new stuff I've learned to to music - I've learnt a great deal of stuff in the time between the first track being started and now!
It's basically my magnum opus of sound, showcasing my best works from mid-2009 to now. I think the time spent working on it was well worth it - I've rushed out releases before, and it really wasn't worth it in the long run!

How long have you spent working on a release, time-wise? Was it worth it?

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I spent about 2 months on my first album. But 2 of the songs were made before I started working for a release. The current one I'm working on, it's been about 2 months. Right now it's at the point, quality wise, thar my last release was at when it was done. But I'm pushing this one much much further and have more then just gameboys to program. I feel that it's all up to you when you feel something is done. And it's payoff is all subjective. I say any time you spend is worth it, if you're doing so productively.

Holland

We've done 3 albums in about a year's time.

I don't make music 'for' releases though. We just make music and when we think it's pretty good and haven't released anything in a while we just do a quick release on Soundcloud and stuff. When there are a couple of songs released and our productivity leads to about 10-12 finished new songs we mostly select some songs for an album and add some new tunes to the list for an album release.

I guess we're pretty much beyond the learning phase of tracking songs, especially concerning the style we do. So the most time spend is on the song instead of figuring out how technical stuff. I guess that helps a lot as well. And that is why our first release probably took more time than the last two.

Chicago IL, USA

My album took about 1 month to make, and it could have been done in like 2 weeks if I worked on songs every day.

edit: take note I use FL and chipsounds, not real hardware.

Last edited by SadPanda (Aug 16, 2012 8:42 am)

usually a release for me takes at least 1 month- around 3 or 4

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

I have one standing at a year and a half which is only about a third done, other less serious things 2 months, my most recent release kind of fumbled along in 4 months then was tied together rapidly in a 5th month.
Depends really

Madison, Alabama

I worked on my last EP for about 7 months.

I've been working on another EP for about a year (That one involves live instruments and it's taking longer)

I've been working on yet another EP for about 5 months.  I think I might be finished with it in another month or two.  Or three... 

I like to group songs that I think fit together, so I end up working on multiple EPs concurrently.

uhajdafdfdfa
xylo wrote:

We've done 3 albums in about a year's time.

I don't make music 'for' releases though. We just make music and when we think it's pretty good and haven't released anything in a while we just do a quick release on Soundcloud and stuff. When there are a couple of songs released and our productivity leads to about 10-12 finished new songs we mostly select some songs for an album and add some new tunes to the list for an album release.

I guess we're pretty much beyond the learning phase of tracking songs, especially concerning the style we do. So the most time spend is on the song instead of figuring out how technical stuff. I guess that helps a lot as well. And that is why our first release probably took more time than the last two.

replace 3 with 15 or so (for 2010) and this describes me i suppose

the only exceptions are Horse (which was a concept album) - written in 3 days, Polyphasic Sheep (which wasn't really a concept album, but i knew the style i wanted, and i wrote the songs with the album in mind) - written in about 2 months, and the agamemnon arpmaster EP (a collab with a specific writing style used, and the songs written specifically for the album) - written in about 3 months.

Gosford, Australia

pretty long time considering how long most of my songs are (most don't make it to 2m30s), started this album in may and it's only a little over halfway done lol

canada

40 minutes

AANABAY01

love zzzv took ages and i hate it
fell plot took a month and i love it
n0de claw took two weeks and i really love it
moke moke took ages and ended up as an EP-length thing instead of the full length i imagined and i am already sick of it

maybe i'm saying don't overcook the ideas in your songs

Holland

Agreed. Don't overcook for sure. It'll ruin your initial ideas.

Tokyo, Japan

I am relentlessly hard on anything I put out as a "release" as opposed to a lazerscale or a weekly beat. Been working on my current ep for I think 3 years....

Detroit, Michigan

Wow, makes me feel better I thought a year for a 3 song ep was too long.

uhajdafdfdfa

a year for a 3 song ep IS too long smile sorry

Holland

Is is.