uhajdafdfdfa

i think that question could have done with a new thread really ~

get back on topic guys

Brunswick, GA USA

Steering back to topic, there is no right amount of time to work on a project.

Release zero and Everything Must Change were RPM challenges, so I spent 28 days on them. Rainy Day and Wedding EP were based on ideas up to 3 years old and were polished over about 4-6 months.

My last EP "Aware" took about three months. The new album is taking quite a long time, for my standards anyway... like, over a year.

sweden

Way too long sad

2 days (Rips) to 2 months (Decades)

Detroit, Michigan

Okay, heres another question. Do you guys have jobs or is all that time put into your music? A little more on topic than the last question, sorry.

Savannah, Georgia

depends on how long it takes me to come up with something that isn't shit

uhajdafdfdfa
snesei wrote:

Okay, heres another question. Do you guys have jobs or is all that time put into your music? A little more on topic than the last question, sorry.

hey please just make a new thread.

or don't because the answer is obvious
some of us have jobs and others don't

Brunswick, GA USA

I'm on a bathroom break at work right now.

California

Most of my EPs take about 3-4 months to do, but my newest one (which should be releasing in a week or two) has been about 1 month of actual work, 3 months waiting for the netlabel to reply to my messages.

Edit: also, what Jellica said below me

Last edited by VCMG (Aug 16, 2012 8:33 pm)

England

i just kinda continusly make music until there are some nice tracks that eventually fit together to make a release so its kinda hard to tell. i can spend anything from just a few hours over a weekend to weeks and weeks of messing around working on tracks.

i dont like to plan and i dont understand how someone could decide that all the tracks that i make from now are all going to be on a release.

i do a a lot of improv as well with my friend phil, we have hours and hours of great recordings but i guess that is another sort of thing altogether.

hardcore, Australia

It has been quite a large gap between releases for me, but that doesn't mean I've spent all that time on a release. When I do work on music, I have a fast turnaround.

.FILTHadelphia

I started writing chipmusic at the end of 2009 and didn't release a 3 song EP until the beginning of this year but it was never on my mind to get something released I kind of just decided that the last 3 songs I had written were release worthy. Now since that release (April?) I'm working on a full length album and giving myself a deadline of October 31st. Now having created the deadline I have much more motivation to write songs.

Michigan

i just keep working on my stuff until im happy with it, sometimes it takes a while, other times it dosent. the full length im writing right now is going on two years, but theres a lot of logistical stuff involved as well as me being happy with the material im writing and deciding whether or not it will fit well.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I now only write exclusively for releases. All my stuff is planned for how it'd sound next to so and so song. It helps me to come up with ideas. No one cares about singles nowadays anyways.

Madison, Alabama
Auxcide wrote:

No one cares about singles nowadays anyways.

Yeah, I really feel like with the death of 8bc (and its loved/hated charts) there's less motivation within the chip community to release individual songs.  I know I've slowed down with individual song releases, and prolific composers like Jredd are holding back and compiling releases as well.  It's interesting, but I do kind of miss the quirky one-off tracks that showed up on 8bc.