So Im getting a Gameboy Color so I can start making bleep bloops with LSDJ, is a Gameboy Color good enough or is only an original DMG acceptable. Also how would I go on fiding a DMG.

babylon

you WILL receive negative feedback for this kind of question on this forum. theres plenty to search for with the answer already. but get both, it doesnt matter which first.

Tulsa, OK

I will answer before things take a turn for the worst.

If you have a color, that will work for learning just fine.
If you get serious about things get a DMG, they are way easy to find, keep an eye out and look at vintage video game stores.

Prosound modded DMGs are the best.

Please do research before asking questions on this forum next time.

Last edited by Jake Allison (Nov 1, 2012 2:03 am)

Los Angeles, CA

Sweet, I knew this essay I wrote would come in handy.
Straight from the mouth of the master of Game Boy Color madness himself - http://wizwars-music.tumblr.com/post/33 … versus-cgb

This statement is opinion, and I declare your opinion false. If I could right now I'd take a big shit on a pile of prosound modded DMGs.

Last edited by Wizwars (Nov 1, 2012 2:30 am)

Tempe, AZ

Easy there guys lolz.

The DMG will overall produce a better sound and apprently it handles the program alot better than GBC GBA GBP. I use my frontlit GBC strictly for gaming. I do both on my DMG. You can go on ebay or craigslist and find DMG. You can find broken ones for real cheap 5-15 bucks. Depending on whats wrong with it their really easy to fix. Id recommend getting a working one to start out If youre really not comfortable with repairing the system yourself. There's also users on here who can customize you a DMG with backlight and prosound modification if you have a lil extra cash. It all depends on how much you wanna spend on what you wanna mod yourself I guess. For starting out it honestly doesnt matter. But like I said find a lil working one if you can.

Good Luck man and I hope you enjoy this subculture

Thanks everyone, just one more question, can a Gameboy color link with an original?

Tulsa, OK
Wizwars wrote:

This statement is opinion, and I declare your opinion false. If I could right now I'd take a big shit on a pile of prosound modded DMGs.

I actually don't completely disagree with you. The prosound just offers more control and options when it comes to audio.

I guess a lightly modded DMG for audio connectivity would be best case for me

juice0123 wrote:

Thanks everyone, just one more question, can a Gameboy color link with an original?

Yes, but you need a special cable

Last edited by Jake Allison (Nov 1, 2012 3:25 am)

Austin, Texas

Game Boy Color and DMG/MGB are apples and oranges in many regards, and this entire argument is sort of a moot point.

LSDj is a program for Game Boy Color. Neither "Handles the program better" specifically as it is related to LSDj, but you can write songs in LSDj on a Game Boy Color that will slow down or play less than ideally on a Pocket or an original Game Boy.

Other specific demoscene / homebrew software will only run correctly or optimally on Game Boy Color. Pushpin and Carillon tracker are some examples of this; Pushpin will not run on a non-color Game Boy, and Carillon has extra features that are inaccessible on a DMG/MGB.

Either way, both of these devices are so inexpensive that you can easily own multiples of both without busting the bank, and if you get more involved with LSDj, Game Boy music, or Game Boy development, you'll definitely end up with multiples of each hardware iteration.

Tulsa, OK
Telerophon wrote:

Either way, both of these devices are so inexpensive that you can easily own multiples of both without busting the bank, and if you get more involved with LSDj, Game Boy music, or Game Boy development, you'll definitely end up with multiples of each hardware iteration.

yes

Los Angeles, CA
TeddyBearCedenski wrote:

apprently it handles the program alot better than GBC GBA GBP.

You are OUT OF YOUR MIND!

And completely wrong. This isn't even opinion, the DMG has a much slower processor than any of the above mentioned hardware, and thus there are a lot of things you simply cannot do with it that you can do with a GBC/GBA/SP. Most of the songs I've written in the past two years won't even run on a DMG, they crash pretty early on.

Playboy Man-Baby
TeddyBearCedenski wrote:

The DMG will overall produce a better sound

Yes.

TeddyBearCedenski wrote:

it handles the program alot better than GBC GBA GBP.

lololnope.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Nov 1, 2012 4:22 am)

.FILTHadelphia
Wizwars wrote:

Most of the songs I've written in the past two years won't even run on a DMG, they crash pretty early on.

That's the raddest thing I've read all day.

Los Angeles, CA

From the article I linked to above -
The biggest complaint about the CGB is the sound quality, but I feel it is often overstated. Yes, the sound straight from the headphone jack is quiet and completely lacks bass. However, I’ve always felt this was easy enough to correct - I simply boost the gain and the bass on my mixer. I will even argue that I can get as much of a bass heavy sound with my CGB in a live setting as any artist using a DMG. As mentioned above, there is a considerable amount of background noise when using the CGB, but the clever and ever crafty chip-genius EvilWezil has even discovered a work around for that when recording, which can be found here: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6976/ … inversion/

-----------------------------------------

So, faster processor and, at the very least, the ability to sound AS GOOD as a DMG when recorded? Yep, GBC wins.

Tulsa, OK

get an SP

washington

pretty sure that wizwars knows all, so listening to him is a good idea.

Los Angeles, CA

Whether that's sarcasm or outright truth, it's 100% accurate.