Tulsa, OK
Victory Road wrote:
lastfuture wrote:

Decent music is not about speed, man.

(also he was talking about processing speed)

Oh man I can hear that processing speed! It's blowing my mind!

Live in a rock and jazz town? Do some rock and jazz covers. I've done it, it's how I'm playing in a jazz combo right now. For two of our four song mini-set last night, we used my DMG with LSDJ as part of the ensemble. Learning guitar, hoping to buy some sort of electric this Spring so I can do some more rock-ish stuff. I'll probably integrate my chip there too.

If you want to write jazz, listen to it. Free charts can be "acquired" "legally" by finding jazz books on Amazon and previewing the book http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Book-Six … 0634060384 like this one, then you can find recordings on Youtube to listen to and draw inspiration from. Try to emulate some styles, track out the tunes yourself, and add your own touch. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and more than one way to play a jazz chart. For example - Black Orpheus is a standard in the book preview I linked, this video on Youtube is fantastic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhk3TbNy … ults_video. Seriously, it's not hard to learn by doing this.

FYI - I use DMG's and Pockets because I can pick them up and mod them (backlighting etc) for cheaper than Colors in my area. Battery life, bass, and CPU speed be damned, it works for me.

Los Angeles, CA
boaconstructor wrote:
Wizwars wrote:

Until you've seen Wet Mango play at a warehouse party with a mountain of subs on either side, you will never understand the potential of the GBC. Dat bass AND dat speed.

Not trying to be a dick here or anything, but are you 100% it was the GBC which was responsible for her set sounding so cool? Seems like the mountain of quality sound system would have had a significantly bigger effect on that.. If I got the chance to play that setup with a couple of prosound DMGs, I'm pretty sure the exact same effect would be had

Yeah, because I've had conversations with her where she talked about how she's tried using a DMG and it choked and died on her songs because she uses crazy tables and manipulates kits live. Can't do that on a DMG.

Also it's worth noting that Wet Mango doesn't write a whole lot of fast music, a lot of it is actually pretty slow, but she busts out some crazy speedcore shit sometimes that could never be played on a DMG.

That remark clearly shows me we have totally different understandings about what makes a good song, and listening to your tunes you uploaded here just confirms it. Decent music is not about speed, man.

One, I haven't uploaded a new song here since January of 2011. Two, the last song that I posted here I believe ended up on Bit Shifter's top ten favorite chiptunes of 2011 list (not that this really means anything but it was still a pretty big honor from one of the most respected artists in the scene). Three, that fast shit got me a spot at the last NYC Blip Festival, where from my viewpoint is seems there were at the very least several hundred people dancing & rocking out to it. What makes a music "good" depends on the listener. I'd say my assessment of what makes music good is just fine, because people like different things.

Last edited by Wizwars (Nov 7, 2012 9:37 pm)

kelso washington

if you want the gameboy for just music get a dmg its easier for mods and backlighting it is easy
if you want the gameboy for games and music get a color
if you need a bigger screen get a gameboy pocket

Spookane, Warshington

My first Gameboy was a GBC and when I first started LSDJ I used that. For some reason I wasn't able to get pitch bends or slides to work on the GBC... When I got an original GB both those commands started working correctly. I don't really know why that was happening on the GBC... but aside from LSDJ not working correctly, I prefer the sound of an original GB. It really all comes down to taste... which most people have already stated...

PS: Anyone else have issues with GBC and pitch bends/slides? I have the original model of GBC.

Los Angeles, CA

Pitch bends and slides work exactly the same for me on my GBC as they did on my DMG.

Spookane, Warshington
Wizwars wrote:

Pitch bends and slides work exactly the same for me on my GBC as they did on my DMG.

Oops... I forgot to mention that they did work on a later released GBC (when they released more colors.) Don't let my experience deter you from trying out a GBC. I'm just not sure why my GBC freaks out on slides/pitch bends.

Gosford, Australia
Jake Allison wrote:

Oh man I can hear that processing speed! It's blowing my mind!

it gets to a point where faster processing speed precedes faster and more complex music... generally tongue

Tulsa, OK

Look. Buy both. If you get a good price and end up not really liking one if then, I'm sure you could flip it over for a small profit.

NC in the US of America

Anyone ever tried performing on/composing a 2xLSDJ tune for DMG+GBC? That'd be kind of cool to see them working together. You can use the DMG for the stuff the DMG is good at (Bass?), and the GBC for the things the GBC excels in (Complex tables and not choking).

cincinnati, ohio
DotMatrix wrote:

andaruGO somewhat plays with this "improvisation style" that jazz is famous for, actually. He writes everything in live mode and plays the gameboy by itself, mostly, in all his shows. Ive seen several people do this so he's not the pioneer. However, he uses the pause function as a means to create a beat skip between tones which i find pretty good. Jazz is, though, one of the hardest things to mimic, i agree.

I very rarely post here but I was directed to this thread by a friend heart

Personally, I believe that due to its robust nature and the sound quality-- the DMG is fantastic for all applications.  However that is not to say that it is the 'end all be all' by any means.  Whichever gameboy you want to use in your live set or recording is up to you, but from my personal experiences of playing live and recording have shown me 'the light' so to speak-- as far as button placement, sound quality, 'modability' and cost, I truly do believe that the DMG is a superior machine.

I have huge hands, and the DMG fits perfectly into them.  I also enjoy how easy it is to get the thing open (as well as how easy it is to SLAP new shit into it). 

I would definitely like to address what Dotmatrix said--

I use LSDJ programmed in 'live mode' with patterns slugged to loop infinitely unless I press start on another loop.

(so on the song screen it would look like)

pu1   pu2    wav    noi
00      03       06     09
--       --         --      --
01     04        07    0A
--       --         --      --
02     05        08    0B

the '--' represents an empty space, so in the theory of how LSDJ plays through chains it would loop indefinitely unless acted upon by me pressing (or double pressing) start on a new chain.  I truly think this is a great way to play songs live, as you are actually playing the song.  Additionally, select+b and start+b while having the cursor hover over a chain will solo or mute that channel, so using that on top of the concepts that I laid out before allow for a lot of improvisation.  I always strive to use 1xLSDJ because I really like the boundaries that the format and program present to the artist/driver/musician.

There are so many different ways to compose and perform that ruling any one thing out, but that is how I prefer to perform all of my shows (I also use this format to record final cuts for albums etc).
thanks for the shout out though buddy heart

DMG 4 LYF3 hahaha //// /////////

DC

HOLY FUCKING SHIT ITS ANDARUGO

Well yea, thanks everyone for all your advice and such, I bought a Color and a DMG last week, since they were pretty cheap, hardest part was just finding them. I recieved my cartridge with LSDJ from Kitsch yesterday, so Imma watch some tutorial videos later today. And all this discussion about jazz is so goooooode. I major in jazz guitar in college so Imma try to make some jazzy bloops and rock'n'rolly bleeps.

Tulsa, OK
juice0123 wrote:

I bought a Color and a DMG last week, since they were pretty cheap

Good choice

I recently bought my second GB USB Smart Card 64M.
I have not had any problems with the first one. Works perfectly (LSDJ, games in bank 2, DMG, game boy color, game boy pocket ....)
But my second smart card, only works in game boy color. I only have LSDJ installed. I have tried installing with MottZilla's menu, ems-quart and GB USB 64M Cart Mac. All with the same result. Only works in game boy color.
Why does not my cartridge with DMG work?
Can you help me?

Alive and well in fucksville

Nobody is gonna make chipthrash better than wizwars, so dmg wins.