Austin, Texas
Wizwars wrote:

Fucking nerds.

Why don't we just use ableton?  It can do anything.

DC

After hours of calculation, experimentation, and meditation, i have arrived to a solution to this argument abomination.

If you like the saw waves and the square waves and the bass and the whatnot, get the DMG.
If you like the bleepty bloopity for the sake of bleepity bloopity, get whatever you want.

Either way, it sounds great to me.

Los Angeles, CA

Until you've seen Wet Mango play at a warehouse party with a mountain of subs on either side, you will never understand the potential of the GBC. Dat bass AND dat speed.

DC

I havent been to a chiptune festival yet, since i live in a strict "JAZZ AND CLASSIC ROCK" town, so i cant say that i have heard any differenceBut in my opinion, without any jokes, get whatever the fuck you want. From hearing everyone's opinion, i think every gameboy model has the potential to make good music, and saying that one particular model isworse or better than the rest is just personal preferences. I learned guitar on a shitty First Act guitar and had fun because i loved the sound i was making with the instrument. So everyones standard for their gameboys is that it should be fun to make sounds come out of them. (This is the one and only time i will talk about guitars. If you have shit to say about the first act, take it to youtube. Youll find a nice audience for that over there)

In the end, its all about bleeps and bloops, no?

Austin, Texas

I wish we had a good jazz scene in Austin anymore.

San Antonio had a decent-ish one back in the day, but it's running on fumes now. All of the best jazz musicians in Texas float around DFW these days, seeing as most of them are students, faculty, or staff at UNT.

Tulsa, OK
Wizwars wrote:

Until you've seen Wet Mango play at a warehouse party with a mountain of subs on either side, you will never understand the potential of the GBC. Dat bass AND dat speed.

So much better live, you peasants just wouldent understand.

DC

We have lots of jazz bands in Maryland. Some are REALLY good and i love them. But most are the kind of jazz bands that play the "not bad but not exceptional" kind of jazz, if you understand. Its not bad at all, but there must be dozens of bands that play the same kind of jazz, which gets a little boring. Nevertheless, we always get good indie and classic rock bands and hot music around if you know where to look.

Making jazz chiptunes would be fucking amazing.

Austin, Texas
DotMatrix wrote:

If I ever make anything good enough to release, I'll be trying to do something like this.

Note, also, that "jazz" as a concept is a philosophical thing. Ergo, making "jazz" chiptunes is difficult since the musical approaches involved are very different. Jazz relies heavily on improvisation and group dynamics in a live setting, and chipmusic is typically done solo and sequenced fully for scene release in a demo or what have you. It's only with the advent of many more modern musical tools that chip musicians are able to "play live" with the flexibility of a modern DJ and bring improvisational dynamics into their sound.

DC

andaruGO somewhat plays with this "improvisation style" that jazz is famous for, actually. He writes everything in live mode and plays the gameboy by itself, mostly, in all his shows. Ive seen several people do this so he's not the pioneer. However, he uses the pause function as a means to create a beat skip between tones which i find pretty good. Jazz is, though, one of the hardest things to mimic, i agree.

Seattle, WA US
Wizwars wrote:

Not trying to be a dick here or anything, but are you 100% it was the GBC which was responsible for her set sounding so cool? Seems like the mountain of quality sound system would have had a significantly bigger effect on that.. If I got the chance to play that setup with a couple of prosound DMGs, I'm pretty sure the exact same effect would be had

Freiburg, Germany
DotMatrix wrote:

Well have you heard of kind of bloop? http://kindofbloop.com

Wizwars wrote:

Dat bass AND dat speed.

That remark clearly shows me we have totally different understandings about what makes a good song, and listening to your tunes you uploaded here just confirms it. Decent music is not about speed, man.

Gosford, Australia
lastfuture wrote:
Wizwars wrote:

Dat bass AND dat speed.

Decent music is not about speed, man.

(also he was talking about processing speed)

euro tracker guys have been doing chip jazz for years.

Austin, Texas

I really like what I've been able to find of that. 4mat, do you have any specific examples you'd say are very good, or know of places that are focused more on that style of music?

I've listened to a lot of Zalza's jazzier stuff, and I've casually crawled through AMP/Scene.org and the MOD archive, but I just don't have the experience to have heard it all yet. wink

Austin, Texas

EDIT: Double Post. cool

Last edited by Telerophon (Nov 7, 2012 1:22 pm)