Austin, Texas
Jake Allison wrote:

get an SP

Then live with the double-edged sword of having a very convenient portable tracking device with very difficult to find stereo output adapters. sad

› Show Spoiler

Last edited by Telerophon (Nov 1, 2012 6:36 am)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Geez, people. Use whatever the fuck you've got, especially when you're just starting out.

As you develop a style and you really find out what kind of music you want to make, you can collect the right gear to do it with.

Or, maybe your style will develop around the gear you have. Either way, there's no right or wrong.

Austin, Texas
Wizwars wrote:

As mentioned above, there is a considerable amount of background noise when using the CGB, but the clever and ever crafty chip-genius EvilWezil has even discovered a work around for that when recording, which can be found here: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6976/ … inversion/

Oh man, thanks for reposting that! I've always had a noise issue with my CGBs; I've pro-sounded them pre-pot and all and still have some issues with low signal to noise ratio.

I'd always suspected my soldering in the back of my mind for some paranoid reason, although I'm pretty sure nothing I could add to the circuit in that modification would introduce more noise or degrade signal…

Austin, Texas
kineticturtle wrote:

As you develop a style and you really find out what kind of music you want to make, you can collect the right gear to do it with.

Or, maybe your style will develop around the gear you have. Either way, there's no right or wrong.

Ah, the yin and yang of the creative endeavor. smile

I'd agree here, but I think there are a lot of indirect and less tangible things that are learned from playing with new equipment, tools, or ideas; especially if music isn't all of what you do. Hackers, modders, and developers get a lot of out playing with new toys. wink

Last edited by Telerophon (Nov 1, 2012 6:48 am)

The Wild Wintery North

Honesty, the NDS is actually working out quite well. Fast processor, okay-ish sound, controllable, portable. Basically, everything I need to take it back and forth to school. Good for on-the-go working. The only problem is a canny sound when recording. Easily fixed with playing around with effects on GarageBand.
Getting my first DMG soon, so I shall compare performance. Will then hope to get a CGB after.

EDIT: I realize after listening to a song that I recorded and uploaded to here that the DS produces quite a bit of background noise when recorded. Also, the WAV channel sorta sucks fish wang. But yeah. The tune is pretty crackly, something that isn't good. It's great for beginnings, but when you publish dat shit, be prepared for a butt-load of noise.
You can hear the performance of the DS here.

Last edited by Goughy (Nov 1, 2012 4:24 pm)

Tempe, AZ
Wizwars wrote:
TeddyBearCedenski wrote:

apprently it handles the program alot better than GBC GBA GBP.

You are OUT OF YOUR MIND!

And completely wrong. This isn't even opinion, the DMG has a much slower processor than any of the above mentioned hardware, and thus there are a lot of things you simply cannot do with it that you can do with a GBC/GBA/SP. Most of the songs I've written in the past two years won't even run on a DMG, they crash pretty early on.

take it easy man hahhaha

Freiburg, Germany
Wizwars wrote:

Prosound modded DMGs are the best.

This statement is opinion, and I declare your opinion false. If I could right now I'd take a big shit on a pile of prosound modded DMGs.

Opinion or not, here are facts
http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

Last edited by lastfuture (Nov 1, 2012 10:43 am)

Nottingham, UK

The color is nice. CPU handles table spam much better, but unmodded it has a weird ringing sound for some reason and the wav channel is slightly less chunky.
The DMG is generally considered to have the nicer overall sound of the systems and the best WAV channel, it's somewhat easier to mod due to a less heavily populated board and having more room in the case. The prosound mod is really intended to help stop the sound degrading when it's being sent through massive tracks of cables at clubs and shit. Nice but not necessary for learning.

Pockets aren't used too often because the EMS carts eat batteries in them so fast it's stupid, and using them with a power adaptor adds 50/60hz hum like a bitch.

You could also argue that the main reason the DMG is favoured is essentially aesthetic, although the "GAMEBOYS ON EVERYTHING" craze seems to have died a death.

Freiburg, Germany

They say the newest EMS cartridges fixed the Pocket's battery eating habit.

La paz - Bolivia

The DMG may have the best sound available, but when you ask too much (Heavy Tables processing), it will just crash (so will the pocket). The GBC as they say is quite a good way to learn, and if you pro-sound it, the sound will not be too much of an issue.

Or you can simply say "DMG is too mainstream" and buy a classic GBA, like I did. You get a near-DMG sound without crashes.
Then again, most people complain about the button layout, but it works for me.

Austin, Texas
toroxciso wrote:

The DMG may have the best sound available, but when you ask too much (Heavy Tables processing), it will just crash (so will the pocket).

Confirmed. I've been able to write tables that crash the DMG at high tempos for LSDj keyboard live play.

Los Angeles, CA
Jake Allison wrote:

get an SP

Chicago, IL
walter b. gentle wrote:

you WILL receive negative feedback for this kind of question on this forum. theres plenty to search for with the answer already. but get both, it doesnt matter which first.

i like how pointing out there would be harsh feedback prevented people from being mean. They love being right, but they hate being predictable wink

Los Angeles, CA
lastfuture wrote:
Wizwars wrote:

This statement is opinion, and I declare your opinion false. If I could right now I'd take a big shit on a pile of prosound modded DMGs.

Opinion or not, here are facts
http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

That article was written YEARS ago, and is written using purely dry, direct examples of audio from various Game Boy systems. I even mention this comparison in the article I wrote on the subject. However, for one thing almost all artists who play live are going to use a mixer (as someone who didn't buy his own mixer for the first year of doing shows, lemme just say, buy a fucking mixer). Thus, the GBC having less bass or volume output really doesn't make a difference, just turn up the bass and the gain. There will still be the high pitched whine but I've ever had anyone say to me "Hey man, I really enjoyed your set but that background noise was really awful!". If anyone gives a fuck, they certainly never complain about it. And as I also linked to, for recording, there are methods of COMPLETELY removing the GBCs background noise, and I think even Arnie from Datathrash was going to start selling kits for boxes that did it automatically for live shows. This is not 2008 anymore. The "omg GBC has bad sound" issue is basically non existent if you're willing to put in some goddamn effort. However, there is absolutely no fix for being able to write songs using faster tempos, heavy table usage, and lots of kits (especially with effects or live manipulation of the kits) on a DMG, other than using a machine with a faster processor.

I get a little carried away, sorry. This topic is serious business for me.

STARDRAIN, CA

hahahahhahahahahah anyone who speaks badly about Colors as if they're almost un-useable or "amature" is a sillyhead. they don't get what makes Gbc's good, and they don't have mixers. admittedly, prosounded DMG's sound best on your ears while using the gameboy on the bus or in public, but the DMG ALWAYS FUCKING CRASHES. if you're a "serious" writer, then your songs will be pretty complicated, and probably WAY too much for a DMG. gbc's are capable of literally WAYYY more than ANY dmg. SP's are cool, havent used them much, but they got taht weird headphone thing, which annoyed me, and GBC's are basically the EASIEST gameboys to find for free or less than $5. I've had my DMG crash on a song that was 60bpm. it just doesnt like complicated WAV channel things basically. it doesnt LIKE samples and it cant handle too many tables going off at once. Using Nanoloop, none of this will matter. use a DMG, it wont matter. (apparently, i havent used much of nanoloop, but shitbird tested this, and apparently the DMG running nanoloop doesnt have latency when going at high bpm's)

ABSOLUTE TRUTH: GBC's can handle more.

ABSOLUTE TRUTH: DMG's Sound better right out of the headphone jack. (w/o prosound)

lot's of people really appreciate the gritty-ness about the non-prosounded GBC, but that's all opinion.

STARDRAIN, CA

also, yes, those "facts" are really old. not to dispute the legitimacy, but there's lots that can be done with gameboys.

and yeah, maybe Wizzy and I are assholes about this, but we're REALLY big on GBC's. In LA, you can literally go to a TON of chiptune shows in a year and only see like two or three DMG's.

we should do a GBC comp. lol