What are the differences between the original gameboy and the gameboy pocket? Which is better for LSDJ?

Last edited by Faerlight (Nov 16, 2012 1:29 am)

DC

You have no idea about the fire you started...

DotMatrix wrote:

You have no idea about the fire you started...

Lol, I just want to know which one I should buy as my first. My research has said that the pocket has a better screen and uses less batteries, but I just want to make sure.

...a console war, same company, same product, same specs, but a console war nonetheless.

Chicago IL

:sigh:
http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

Chicago IL

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/8833/ … questions/

Chicago IL

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7189/gameboy-pocket/

DC

Ok. I did a lot of research and i think i annoyed some people in the process. Ill give you what i know from a neutral point of view before bullets start flying

It all depends on what you want from your gameboy. A lot of chiptuners will prefer the DMG because it has the best bass sound. Also, they like it better because you can fit more mods into it. Also, 4 AA batteries will of course last longer than 2 AAA batteries. There was also some controversy with the MGB because it drained the battery really fast to run LSDJ. However, the new 64mb ems cartridge has fixed the issue and this is no longer a problem. Justin and Kitsch can agree.

The MGB, despite having slightly inferior sound, has the edge in being more portable. If you're on the move a lot, its a better size to carry around. Pro-sounding it can give it that extra kick it needs with the sound. The MGB is a good choice for beginners because they are only learning the program, and not doing shows. So sound is not exactly vital. On the other hand, you might prefer the DMG because you can learn on it, and then start performing without having to buy a new gameboy.

It also depends on what you plan on doing with LSDJ. Are you in to perform or do you just want a (kickass) hobby? If performing is your plan, then learning on the DMG is a better option. If you want a hobby, carrying around an MGB wherever you go is better for chiptuning on the metro or waiting in a bar for friends etc. since you dont need a carrying case for it.

MGB=pocket.      DMG=original.           If you didn't know already.

Last edited by DotMatrix (Nov 16, 2012 2:08 am)

Chicago IL

Also the MGB slows down or crashes with CPU intensive songs/instruments.

DC

Saskrotch is right. If hardstyle chip is your preference,  then a DMG or CGB are the options youre facing, then. The pocket can still play good chiptunes, though.

examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=das_bJQTKoA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfj0rF16bxU

Last edited by DotMatrix (Nov 16, 2012 2:29 am)

DotMatrix wrote:

The MGB, despite having slightly inferior sound, has the edge in being more portable. If you're on the move a lot, its a better size to carry around. Pro-sounding it can give it that extra kick it needs with the sound. The MGB is a good choice for beginners because they are only learning the program, and not doing shows. So sound is not exactly vital.

The main reason I'm getting into LSDJ is because it's portable; the only time I have to compose is while I'm on the move. I can't ever imagine myself doing a gig either, as glorious as that would be. The MGB definitely seems to be my model.

Thank you so much for the tips DotMatrix! I really appreciate it.

Austin, Texas

Man, I thought we already had this thread this week…

So I don't feel like a dick for making a contentless post, let me sum up my understanding/opinion very quickly:

• A lot of people prefer the DMG / "Classic" / "Dot Matrix" Game Boy because it sounds "classic" and has a different tonality since it's running on 6V of batteries natively. Also, I'm not an electrical engineer, so don't expect me to pinpoint why a lot of people think it sounds "better" to a point of high technical accuracy.

• LSDj is a program that is written for Game Boy Color, at the end of the day. It has features that are only supported on the Game Boy Color. You can write songs and patterns on a Game Boy Color that will crash a DMG or MGB.

• In my personal opinion, the Game Boy Color completely obsoletes the Game Boy Pocket for use with LSDj. Any shortcoming that the MGB and CGB have compared to the DMG with regards to sound are offset by the better processing capabilities of the Color. The Game Boy Pocket is the "worst of both worlds," so to speak—it doesn't have the tonal qualities that people favor the DMG for, and it doesn't have the processing power of the CGB, which is virtually the same size.

There you are. Welcome aboard! Read up, ask question, write some music, and melt some faces!

Last edited by Telerophon (Nov 16, 2012 7:00 am)

The Wild Wintery North
Telerophon wrote:

And melt some faces!

Cause, you know, that's perfectly normal. Oh wait, look at the time. I'm gonna go blow up some minds now wink

Telerophon wrote:

The Game Boy Color completely obsoletes the Game Boy Pocket for use with LSDj. Any shortcoming that the MGB and CGB have compared to the DMG with regards to sound are offset by the better processing capabilities of the Color. The Game Boy Pocket is the "worst of both worlds," so to speak—it doesn't have the tonal qualities that people favor the DMG for, and it doesn't have the processing power of the CGB, which is virtually the same size.

I'm starting to feel rather foolish since I just ordered my pocket before reading this. Ugh, well I'll get a CGB as my second.

Thanks for your help Telerophon! Sorry that this thread is hackneyed.

Last edited by Faerlight (Nov 16, 2012 2:01 pm)

DC
Faerlight wrote:

I'm starting to feel rather foolish since I just ordered my pocket before reading this. Ugh, well I'll get a CGB as my second.

the main difference between the pocket and color is that the color has immense processing capabilities, giving you the ability to make the fastest, most complex chiptunes you can imagine. I'd get it a while after I already learned how to use LSDJ on the pocket. as someone else said on a different post, people usually adapt to their gameboy's limitations and learn how to actually even use them to their advantage. some people actually like inferior sound quality because they feel it's more "retro and 8bit" than the better sound qualities. (you'll find some people on youtube that like to lower the video quality all the way down to 240p because they just like the chiptunes that way)
even with the processing, it might be an advantage. having slower processing can help you keep your chiptunes straightforward and keep them from becoming a mess. this is good for a beginner.

buffalo, NY
DotMatrix wrote:

(you'll find some people on youtube that like to lower the video quality all the way down to 240p because they just like the chiptunes that way).

Pretty sure this is just a lofi joke people make on youtube

Last edited by danimal cannon (Nov 16, 2012 3:30 pm)

DC

I like both low rez and high rez. low rez has that "static" that makes it sound retro and high rez has clear and defined sound. both sound unique, and neither is better than the other in my opinion. if you're performing, i can see why you want the best sound possible, though.